Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Double Dipping

I'm preparing for an overseas trip, and I'm packing up my photo gear. So far I've got four lenses, a KX, and 50-odd rolls of film. I was planning to just bring the one, but a friend suggested that it might be better to bring my Spotmatic as well, in case the KX is damaged or seizes up (they don't understand that a serviced Pentax isn't going to magically "seize-up". They just don't).
Would it be worth the extra bulk and weight to carry a second camera?
How many of you shoot film for EVERYTHING, including travel? (I don't own a digital, so it's film only for me regardless of your responses)
How many of you regularly carry two cameras so you can shoot color and B&W simultaneously?
And, if you answered yes to the above, do you ever think it's more hassle than it's worth to sling two cameras, Pentax or otherwise?
(FWIW, the Spottie is a GOOD 133-150% of the KX's weight)

03-07-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Would it not make sense that if you are lugging 2 SLRs, that they would be the same mount... or at least that the lenses are usable on both?

Typically I pack a medium format + SLR, with only a couple of lenses max. Usually. Sometimes. When it comes to taking 2 slr bodies (usually one is the K100D) I go into protracted conniptions deciding which lenses - M43 or K... So I feel for you
03-07-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The KX and the Spottie are my only cameras.
Well, besides a fixed-lens Ricoh RF. But the shutter is sticky, so it's sitting this one out.
But I have the adapter for M42, so all my lenses will fit the KX, and MOST will fit the Spottie.
My conundrum isn't so much lenses, I have two M42 and two K in the bag already, the Spottie would just bring an extra 55mm to the party, as the practical side of lugging two cameras. If you're packing MF and a 35mm SLR, do you ever have issues with the weight or bulk? That's my main concern. I trust both of my cameras to perform, but it would be nice to have a backup. But then extra weight....
I'm lucky I don't have problems picking lenses, then I'd REALLY be in fits.
03-07-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It all depends on how much you like taking photos. On my last trip (18 days) I had over 11K shots with my K10D and K100D with the keep ratio around 90%. I would be broke if I used film. I still have some film camera bodies but I would hesitate to use them unless I know I am going for something special, otherwise, it is not worth lugging around - that's me - YMMV.

03-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd leave the Spottie at home and see if I could pick up another K mount body.
And I'd take that.
03-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

An MX would go nicely with the KX
If I was in your position, considering you have no digital, yes I would most likely take 2 bodies.
If possible, lighter and smaller would be useful in this case. What lenses are you taking? Are they all fairly small primes? Even with 2x 35mm bodies and 4 lenses I think you would have a fairly compact setup. The 50 rolls of film (!) will probably take up more space...
03-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
It all depends on how much you like taking photos. On my last trip (18 days) I had over 11K shots with my K10D and K100D with the keep ratio around 90%. I would be broke if I used film. I still have some film camera bodies but I would hesitate to use them unless I know I am going for something special, otherwise, it is not worth lugging around - that's me - YMMV.
A couple of years back (pre-K10D), I came back from a short vacation with only a couple of digital photos from my Canon G2, but a couple of 36 exposure rolls from the backup Olympus XA. The G2 suffered from precipitous battery failure early in the trip leaving the XA to carry on in its stead.

Steve

03-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #8

When I shot film I always carried 2 bodies. An MX and an LX. 4 lenses, 2x teleconverter, 2 flash units, Cokin filters, and a Pentax spotmeter. B&W in the MX and color in the LX, usually Kodachrome. If I was doing some serious hiking I would choose 2 lenses and through both bodies around my neck.
I also have a handicap that makes lugging too much gear around quite tiring. But I would rather have been exhausted than not have what I needed.
Digital has simplified my life, however the new lenses are heavier.
03-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
An MX would go nicely with the KX
If I was in your position, considering you have no digital, yes I would most likely take 2 bodies.
If possible, lighter and smaller would be useful in this case. What lenses are you taking? Are they all fairly small primes? Even with 2x 35mm bodies and 4 lenses I think you would have a fairly compact setup. The 50 rolls of film (!) will probably take up more space...
Hah, 50 rolls is a large-ish package, but not as bad as my lenses and camera.
I have a KX with an M series 50mm F2, a re-branded Soligor 35-70mm f2.5-4, and, in M42, a Vivitar 105mm and a Kuribayashi Petri 135mm Orikkor. The Zoom and the Orikkor are quite heavy. All the lenses are in my Crumpler, with a few filters and some spare batteries for the meter. The camera with the 50mm is going over my shoulder. If I bring the Spottie it will most likely bring only a Rikenon 55mm 1.4 (for low-light work) and an extra set of meter batteries. If I use my slightly larger Lowepro I could probably get everything in, but I like the crumpler because it's smaller and far more comfortable to carry....
03-07-2011, 09:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Don't mean to throw a spanner in the works, but have you considered getting something wider? The M28 f/3.5 for example is cheap and very sharp. Depending on where you are travelling to, having a good wide may be very useful... Saying that, maybe the wide end of your Soligor zoom would be enough?

Last edited by goddo31; 03-08-2011 at 12:33 AM.
03-07-2011, 09:40 PM   #11

I travel with a dSLR (K200D) and two film bodies. The film cameras are my backup for the K200D and also get used as well. Typically the film cameras are a ME Super and a Ricoh XR-10 or a P30t. When I am actually shooting, I often have a 3-compartment Pentax sling bag with the ME Super or Ricoh in the upper compartment and the K200D with a DA18-250 in the middle. I carry a couple of lenses for the film cameras in the lower compartment, usually a Tamron Adaptall-2 35-135 and a Pentax-F 50 f1.7 (or a Pentax-M 50 f1.7), or the 35-135 zoom with a Tamron Adaptall-2 24-48mm zoom.
03-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
I'm preparing for an overseas trip, and I'm packing up my photo gear. So far I've got four lenses, a KX, and 50-odd rolls of film. I was planning to just bring the one, but a friend suggested that it might be better to bring my Spotmatic as well, in case the KX is damaged or seizes up (they don't understand that a serviced Pentax isn't going to magically "seize-up". They just don't).
How many of you shoot film for EVERYTHING, including travel? (I don't own a digital, so it's film only for me regardless of your responses)
How many of you regularly carry two cameras so you can shoot color and B&W simultaneously?
And, if you answered yes to the above, do you ever think it's more hassle than it's worth to sling two cameras, Pentax or otherwise?
I shoot film only and now that I have a few bodies I also take two on important trips. My “travel bodies” are my KX and K2. On my last trip I took my K28/3.5, K35/3.5, K55/1.8, K135/3.5 and nine rolls of Kodachrome 64. A previous long trip I took two KX’s, a K17/4FE, K28/3.5, K50/1.4, K50/4 Macro, K55/1.8, K85/1.8 and my K135/3.5. Along with 15 rolls of B&W slide film and 15 rolls of colour slide film.

I try and have my film processed in the last city I visit or ship it for processing prior to flying home, so I have one less airport x-ray to worry about.

Phil.
03-08-2011, 07:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I haven't taken an overseas trip without at least two SLR bodies since 1978. That's when the shutter in my screw mount Vivitar body seized up halfway through my year studying abroad and a few weeks into a month's excursion in Spain.

Right now, you can pick up a P series K-mount body on Ebay or from a dealer for about $25. It may even come with a lens. It will be relatively light, and will assure that you have two kinds of film or at least a backup. Unlike some older bodies, it will probably not need new foam to work, either. Adding a heavy system that uses a different lens mount would not seem to be the way to go for travel.

Last edited by GeneV; 03-08-2011 at 07:08 AM.
03-08-2011, 07:16 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
I presently shoot digital, and have 3 bodies, all different and with only 1 or 2 exceptions always take 2 bodies.

in the years BD (Before Digital ) Except for the first year of film shooting in the 1980's I always took 2 bodies, not just because of wanting a back up, but also because I loaded them differently.

For 10 years I shot with a KX and a Ricoh XR-2s. the KX also had a matt glass focusing screen only, to use with long lenses and to avoid black out of the split image, as well as focusing for night shots in low light.

as a result, the KX was typically loaded with 400ISO Ektachrome or faster, and the XR-2s with 64ISO Kodachrome.

When I stepped up to AF and the PZ-1, the XR-2s still saw some use, and even the KX.

WHen I first went digital, I shot the PZ-1 and *istD together, althouogh now the PZ-1 was loaded slow, and I used the FA-J 18-35 to get Ultra wide angle shots since this lens covered full frame, and my other AF lenses on the DSLR for not so wide and tele shots.

In short, I always shoot 2 bodies, have only ever had one camera fail, while on a trip, oddly enough my KX, which had the meter fail when someone tried to steal the camera , which was over the shoulder only, by hitting it. Without light meter, I simply decided to stop shooting that body, and switched to my XR-2s for the rest of the trip.,
03-08-2011, 07:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Without light meter, I simply decided to stop shooting that body, and switched to my XR-2s for the rest of the trip.,
On one trip with my LX/MX combo, the MX meter failed. It became a B&W body.
With Tri-X or, even better, XP1, meter failure just made the body inconvenient.
Still, I would not want that as my only body on the trip of a lifetime.