Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Interesting suggestion considering I just read the history of the last roll of kodachrome ever made

Can you say TOO LATE!

... except that plenty of other slide films still exist and E-6 is a fairly common process. All kinds of slide films still exist, but K-14 film (Kodachrome) was axed because it lacked the necessary sales to support manufacturing of chemistry and continuation of processing.

But a good 100 ISO E-6 from Fuji or Kodachrome is still a viable option for colour film.

03-25-2011, 05:10 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Tri-X and D76 does sound like one sure optiOn. I'll post shots from my experiment with illford Delta shortly. I plan to ship out processing but if I do this regular I will get a tank and some reels an do the process myself like the old days

if you are shipping it out to process Lowell I'll recommend Toronto Black and White on River street. He's not cheap unfortunately but he does a damn fine job, also is a master printer. i let another lab do some Rollei IR film they completely botched development times and i lost 4 rolls of ir from Rome (not like i could go back and shoot it again) it's one of the reasons i'm starting to do my own again.
03-25-2011, 05:17 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

there are some very good slide films still Lowell. not for weddings really but Velvia is still around, Provia would be good. fuji still makes a t64 tungsten slide as well for indoors balance the flash with a gel (we get spoiled by digital sometimes)
on the kodak side the newish Ektachrome, which is the closest to Kodachrome for performance (in 100 and 200 speeds)
Elitechrome is around in 100, the 200 is discontinued but some may be around

there are no higher speed slides unfortunately
03-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
there are some very good slide films still Lowell. not for weddings really but Velvia is still around, Provia would be good. fuji still makes a t64 tungsten slide as well for indoors balance the flash with a gel (we get spoiled by digital sometimes)
on the kodak side the newish Ektachrome, which is the closest to Kodachrome for performance (in 100 and 200 speeds)

Good info, thanks Eddie. I had been wondering what was still available for slide film. One more thing to add to list of things I need to try out!

03-25-2011, 09:13 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It looks like Fuji is focusing on the Slide side of colour and Kodak the Negative side.
Rollei makes some slide and print but no idea what they are like
03-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #36
Veteran Member

As far as E-6 goes I'm still pretty new. I've seen and handled Velvia and Provia, but never shot any.
I do, however, have two rolls of AgfaPhoto CT Precisa (bought in Belgium) sitting in the freezer. They are likely going to be shot next weekend in Boston, and then I can (hopefully) share some results.
I was wondering about this, and hopefully someone here can answer-
Why can't a film be manufactured that will develop as a positive in C-41? Wouldn't it essentially just be a process of putting the dyes in opposite layers and putting the film on a clear base?
Certainly such a film, if decent, could win over many who miss the experience of transparencies but have gone to CN or Digi because of price or convenience.
03-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

it's more steps than c41 and it's the extra steps that produce the positive (you can do a similar thing with b/w). the 2 processes are well described in Wikipedia

E-6 process - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

C-41 process - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh and a tip for shooting slides they have very little lattitude for over and under exposure and are very demanding that way. c41 you can miss by as much as 3 stops with some films and still get a good result out of it. not slides they really need proper exposure (though for velvia a lot of people shoot at 40 instead of 50 iso,)
03-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shot a ton of slides back in the day, but 35mm slides don't really interest me that much any more. It costs about double the total cost of negatives, requires projection to really enjoy, and, as Eddie says, they are tricky to expose.

However, medium format (now that I can afford it) is another thing entirely. A 6x7 slide on a light table is a real thing of beauty. 645 is not bad, either. I may be tempted again.

03-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Medium format is where i shoot slides
They are something on a light table
I could probably find a medium format projector cheap now as well hmmmm
(though they look good scamned as well the a video projector can show them - not as nicely though)
03-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK so here it is, Ilford Delta 400 pushed to 3200

Seems about what I was looking for

Here is another one, this time with the newly aquired Vivitar (samyang) 13mmF2.8
03-31-2011, 08:51 AM   #41

I am pretty sure that there are tons of film/developer combinations that would work for you.

When I was looking for what would work for me I usually went to flickr and checked out some of the scans.

Flickr: B&W film / developer combinations

After that it's all about finding a lab that uses the right chemicals!
03-31-2011, 10:00 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don’t forget Fuji Provia 400.

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/professional_films/color_reversalfilms/provia_400x/

Phil.
03-31-2011, 10:05 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Donít forget Fuji Provia 400.

FUJICHROME PROVIA 400X | Fujifilm Global

Phil.
missed that, but i don't consider 400 particularly high speed, and it is daylight balanced so indoors you will lose speed to the colour correction filter
03-31-2011, 10:15 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

missed that, but i don't consider 400 particularly high speed, and it is daylight balanced so indoors you will lose speed to the colour correction filter
I use the Provia 400 indoors for macro/portrait shooting and have a couple 500W studio lights using daylight balanced (5000k) bulbs. Works perfectly and no need for filters, I save those for traveling.

Phil.
03-31-2011, 10:22 AM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yep with daylight balanced lights it's fine, i think Lowell will be in a church though so tungsten is likely. on the plus side provia can be pushed to 1600 according to Fuji, though DR drops dramatically (a period of Mercury hypersensitisation will help with this if you are doing your own developing - sometimes old, old, school technique (daguerreotype) is still of use)