Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-15-2011, 05:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Eric Hendrickson charges $63.00 for a ME Super CLA. He charges the same for the Spotmatic and K1000. That includes shipping and minor parts. Email him and ask him what he charges for a MX CLA.

pentax27@aol.com

Home
Thank you! That looks like a good resource for future reference. Taking a look back at comparisons, I see the ME Super has the buttons for shutter speed adjustment, which a few people love, but most people seem to hate. Pretty sure I'm looking at the MX now.

03-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just picked up a black MX on eBay for $82.
03-16-2011, 01:57 AM   #18

Eric currently is working on a MX that I picked up for $60. He's got several cameras that I'm having him CLA, his rates are very reasonable. I can't wait to get the MX back, what I saw of it before sending it off really appealed to me. I also sent him a Super Program that I love to shoot with, the shutter was sticking in cold weather. I like the Super Program, I can shoot with my 18-55 on that camera at ~24mm and up without vignetting.
03-16-2011, 03:38 AM   #19

Photos: Gallery
K1000 has nothing automatic abt it .. and it is very cheap .. even on this forum!!!

03-16-2011, 03:39 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great im sure you'll like it Tom
03-16-2011, 04:31 AM   #21
Veteran Member

if you dont mind an electric camera. SuperProgram or its European Version the Super A is wonderful to..

edit.

didnt know you already purchae MX

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
Just picked up a black MX on eBay for $82.

is a wonderful camera.

and i have 5 MX just to make you sure..

03-16-2011, 05:08 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I've not used the MX but I love the ME Super - the handling is perfect for my hands, the viewfinder is really bright, but as noted above a lot of them have dodgy light seals now - they are quite a few years old after all.

03-16-2011, 07:36 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom in Delaware Quote
Eric currently is working on a MX that I picked up for $60. He's got several cameras that I'm having him CLA, his rates are very reasonable. I can't wait to get the MX back, what I saw of it before sending it off really appealed to me.
Great to know about Eric. I'm hoping this camera I bought won't need a CLA to start shooting, but I'll probably eventually send it to him just to have it tip-top. The seller was the original owner, buying it in 1977, and it was a backup camera which spent most of its time in the closet. So it looks to be in pristine condition, but I know that time alone can have some harsh effects on foam seals, so I'll just have to run a roll through it and see what happens.

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote

is a wonderful camera.

and i have 5 MX just to make you sure..
LOL, nice.
03-16-2011, 07:39 AM   #24
Veteran Member

The MX and Super Program are my two favorite manual focus Pentax bodies. The ZX-5n is my favorite AF.
03-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great to know about Eric. I'm hoping this camera I bought won't need a CLA to start shooting, but I'll probably eventually send it to him just to have it tip-top. The seller was the original owner, buying it in 1977, and it was a backup camera which spent most of its time in the closet. So it looks to be in pristine condition, but I know that time alone can have some harsh effects on foam seals, so I'll just have to run a roll through it and see what happens.
I bought a 1983 Super Program from shopgoodwill.com in November. Even though it looks like it wasn't used more than a few times, it still needs new seals. Luckily, if all it needs is seals, you can get a pre-cut seal kit on eBay for $8-12.
03-16-2011, 03:30 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I bought a 1983 Super Program from shopgoodwill.com in November. Even though it looks like it wasn't used more than a few times, it still needs new seals. Luckily, if all it needs is seals, you can get a pre-cut seal kit on eBay for $8-12.
Are you saying maybe it's something I should do myself, if the body is otherwise really clean? Or buy the seal kit and send to Eric? I'm not mechanically inept or anything, but I've never messed around with SLR bodies...
03-16-2011, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you saying maybe it's something I should do myself, if the body is otherwise really clean? Or buy the seal kit and send to Eric? I'm not mechanically inept or anything, but I've never messed around with SLR bodies...
The possibility of a 34 year old camera having gummy seals is about 100%. If you send the camera to Eric there is no need to buy a seal kit because that is included in the price. If the camera is otherwise in good condition it is very easy to replace the seals yourself. Some sample instructions.

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/seal/Pentax_ME.pdf

Pre-Cut Interslice Seal Kit Pentax MX - eBay (item 120686942359 end time Mar-20-11 18:59:28 PDT)
03-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hope it's as nice as described. The original light seal foam will most likely have degraded by now.
Even if everything functions a camera of this age will require internal cleaning lubrication and adjustment.
Unless recently serviced I agree it's a good idea to send it to Eric Hendrickson.

Chris
03-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #29

A major issue with these cameras is the mirror bumper, these can degrade and the force of the mirror hitting them can spew sticky particles all over the focusing screen. The mirror can actually stick to the bumper in some cases. My MX had a mirror bumper that was a gooey mess, I shot the shutter off just once with the camera lens mount down before I packed it up to send off. Besides the seals and mirror bumpers, there are rubber bumpers in the shutter assembly that can degrade and cause some problems. If you want to shoot that camera for a good long time, I would pony up the $70 or so and have Eric CLA it. I like playing around with fleabay finds but I am having Eric CLA a core set of Pentax cameras that I know I can turn to for reliable operation.
03-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I think that Eric includes this in his services and it costs a lot less than the one sold at eBay since Eric (from what I have read) charges only $5 for the replacement of the bumper and light seals..or is already included in his charge fee of CLA.
Any repairs he charges extra, if I think he has to replace a part or procure the part.