Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2007, 12:07 PM   #16
Inactive Account

In terms of compatibility, functions etc, the MZ-5n may not be the best. As others have said, aperture can't be controlled from the body in manual or aperture control mode, but only in shutter priority or full auto mode. This means that if you have a lens without an aperture ring, you will be limited to full auto or shutter priority. However I don't find this a problem since I don't have a DA pancake and can't really think of any other non-aperture-ring lenses that would interest me (either DA lenses that wouldn't cover film anyway, or not-so-good FAJ lenses). About the only other problem I can see is that third-parties might stop producing lenses with aperture rings too. But otherwise I think the MZ-5n is a great little camera for those of us who like the old SLR layout, but with advantages over the older metal bodies including auto modes, more information displayed in the viewfinder, max shutter speed of 1/2000, three metering modes and of course it's fairly light. And you can get a bargain if you find one with a faulty pop-up flash

That said, I agree that if you want a camera with higher specification, that behaves more like your dSLR, it's better to go with the PZ-1 if you have a K10d (or maybe the *ist if you have a K100d), so long as you can find one in good condition for the right price.

And of course if you'd rather not even go near the top of that $200 budget, you can get a great manual-focus camera that will work with M, A, F, FA and D-FA lenses (just not DA or FAJ) for very little money in the shape of any K-series, ME Super, P30, etc... and you can always use the dSLR as your meter

11-08-2007, 07:54 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
I agree that if you want a camera with higher specification, that behaves more like your dSLR, it's better to go with the PZ-1 if you have a K10d so long as you can find one in good condition for the right price.
This was my selection only because the initial post was done by someone with a K10D. In fact, I sometimes wish my K10D was specified as good as the PZ-1 (obviously aside from digital)

TTL flash, 1/8000 shutter, 1/250 flash sync speed, image size tracking with power zoom lenses, predictive autofocus...........
I sometimes thought if pentax went full frame digital, it would be an updated PZ-1
11-09-2007, 12:58 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
This is something that people don't talk about. Pentax fans like to make a big deal of the fact that Pentax maintains excellent backward compatibility. That is, any Pentax lens ever made (just about) will work on a K10D. But this illustrates that they also have forward compatibility, meaning that the new, "digital" lenses will work to some extent on older cameras, as well.

Paul Noble
When my wife, in 1991, went for a two month bicycle trip with my daughter in Europe. I bought a used ME and a brand new (el cheapo) Pentax FA 28-80. This was about the lightest rig on earth. She took many rolls of film with no problems.