Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K2 ASA Lever

I have a nice K2 whose only flaw seems to be a missing ASA lever. Am I right that lever just locks the ASA ring so that it can't accidentally slip. The ring moves nicely. So should I still get full functionality from the camera otherwise if I am careful to watch the speed? Thanks "O wise ones"

03-19-2011, 09:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not sure about the wisdom but I've had a K2 for several years. The lever/button you refer to does indeed lock the ASA in position. A lot of people don't realize this when they first encounter the much maligned K2 ASA ring. It's actually quite easy to use once you get used to it. It's possible you might have a fully functional camera with the button missing. The only way to be sure of course is to run a roll of film through it.

If it does work and you got it at a good price, you might consider sending it to Eric Henderson for a cleaning and possible repair. I see you are fairly new to the forum and might be unfamiliar with Eric Henderson. Henderson is well known in this forum as the go to guy for repairs on Pentax film gear. He has a stellar reputation. The K2 is a fine camera. He would be able to give you the best advice on how to proceed. Check this link for further opinions re Eric:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/105296-pentax-...rickson-2.html

Tom G
03-19-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+ 1 for sending your K2 to Eric, he fixed a broken K2 ASA lever for me.

Phil.
03-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey that's a switch - usually they become immovable. I guess you got lucky (?)

Eric Hendrickson has repaired sticky film speed dials on K2 and K2DMD cameras for me.
If you want yours repaired and tuned up for another 20 years of good use he's the one to send it to.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 03-20-2011 at 12:07 PM.
03-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you all - I have had Eric do 3 jobs for me and I agree he is terrific. Now for the slight variation in the question. To review: the ASA lever is gone on my K2. The ASA dial moves smoothly. By the way, the ASA moves even when the Exposure Comp is at any setting (not just 1x). So when the the Expsure Comp dial is moved it moves the arrow against the ASA film speed. So if I have the ASA at 400 and move the Comp to 1/4 the ASA pointer is now on 100. If I move it to 4 the ASA pointer is at 1600. Soooo, (1) I now assume that on a properly working K2 the ASA dial is locked with the EV setting so that the film arrow still points at the correct ASA regardless of the EV factor (unless EV is 1x - it isn't locked then.) AND (2) I really doubt this affects my picture taking because when I return the EV to 1x it brings the film speed arrow back to 400.

So I think it all works (in some ways better?) but I need to be careful about accidentally moving the film speed but I really need to shoot some film and see how it all works. What do you guys think?
03-20-2011, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are actually two different dials. The exposure dial is toward the front and is moved by holding the protruding grips on either side.

The ASA ring is on the inside and is moved by pressing the ASA lever and moving the ring.

I had my first K2 serviced by a local camera repair shop, the ASA dial had seized up and the camera was on the grimy side. They broke off the ASA lever when cleaning the camera and replaced it with a knob that would not lock, so I had the same issue as yourself. Every time I touched the camera near either of the two dials the ASA ring would move, not very useful to say the least. Sent the K2 to Eric and he replaced the ASA lever, now the K2 is perfect and my main travel film body.

Best get this fixed or it will drive you nuts!

Phil.
Attached Images

12-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My K2 has the same problem as yours. It is fully usable. You just have to keep checking the asa/iso setting hasn't been moved. Hasn't been much of a problem, but I should get it repaired. I just hate to be without the camera.