Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Diopter for SLR

How does one go about knowing/finding-out, let alone buying a diopter for an SLR camera.
How would one know what to get in terms of magnification or (un)magnification, if there is such a word..
I see some being sold in the marketplace with a "-2" or "-3" magnification but don't know if they are the right kind to get.
I usually have to wear reading glasses with a "+1" to "+1.25" to be able to read.
I never really notice which way I flick the diopter lever on the DSLR, but I think, I flick to the right and not to the left.
This Diopter will be for a Super Program or Super A.
Another thing, would these diopters that would fit the Super Program fit other Pentax SLR's like an MX or other newer SLR's that don't have a diopter?

03-20-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First, read the brief description of the SMC Correction Lens Adapters in our own Accessories Forum, this Marketplace Listing or the K-Mount page. Click the thumbnails for a larger image.

There were basically three versions made:
  1. A rubber eyecup for the pre-Spotmatic and Spotmatic bodies. You had an optometrist grind a glass correction lens and inserted it into the eyecup assembly, then attached the eyecupo to the viewfinder frame;
  2. Plastic framed attachments for the VF frame that came with pre-ground correction diopters in increments of 1 from -5 to +3. These were initially sized to fit all the bodies through the K-series. These are marked with the correction in white.
  3. When Pentax introduced the smaller M-series bodies they slightly enlarged the viewfnder frame, so they changed the Correction Lens Adapters to fit. These are marked on the inside (rear)of the frame with an embossed "M" inside a small circular depression. They are marked with the correction in white in 7 diopters, -5 to +2.
    1. This latest version will fit all Pentax bodies since the M-series, including the dSLR's
If you don't go to an optometrist I suggest you start now if you are using reading glasses, if only to have a glaucoma exam. You will also learn the proper correction for your current vision.

Since these are vintage items you basically wait until the right one comes along and bid what you are willing to pay (or get in the first PM here ). I had a +1 for the K bodies for sale here recently, and have a K -1 and a -3 for the M bodies. I use +2 and have several.

Nikon still makes them, and they fit the M bodies such as your cameras - that is an easier solution. They're often found on ebay but you can get them in a camera store.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-21-2011 at 05:54 PM.
03-21-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for this.
Will definitely look into your input.
I already have regular glasses made that are some sort of bi-focals.
I don't really want wearing glasses since I can just see fine except for when I have to read small font.
My eyesight became worse once I started wearing glasses.
I was supposed to have correctional glasses when I was 8 yrs of age but I never really wore them so my eyes didn't become worse.
My type of eyesight problem usually comes with a certain age.
I still don't wear glasses if I can avoid it and just use it for reading.
Thanks again for the info.