Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2011, 12:18 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Indeed I am. I don't blame the shops, though: more the distributors, who have yet to come round to the idea that maybe if they reduce the cost, people'll buy more (with all the fringe benefits that come with that.)

Of course, that would be a gross miscarriage of tradition: the proper thing to do is whinge to the government that Aussie consumers are killing the retailers.

03-28-2011, 01:39 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Indeed I am. I don't blame the shops, though: more the distributors, who have yet to come round to the idea that maybe if they reduce the cost, people'll buy more (with all the fringe benefits that come with that.)

Of course, that would be a gross miscarriage of tradition: the proper thing to do is whinge to the government that Aussie consumers are killing the retailers.
It's a common theme and issue over here isn't it
03-28-2011, 05:23 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

It's not quite as bad for Canadian Film prices but they don't touch US prices in many cases (though that does seem to be changing slowly) I still shop freestyle for b/w and bh for colour (though i usually do some comparison, and if the local film is withing 0.50 a roll i'll buy it a roll or 2 at a time instead of in bulk from the US, sadly this isn't often
Ilford is basically twice the US price in Canada averaging $9 + a roll which is just a bloody ripoff
Trix is $7 + a roll
this is for 35mm roll 36
120 is as bad though trix is $5.29 vs $3.50 in the US
not to mention there are also the re-brand films in the US but not many here
It's dumb really as I know at least Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver all have thriving film communities due to the universities alone
03-28-2011, 05:45 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Oh and as for someone getting screwed in the deal, Fuji makes less per roll but also has no promotional back end to fund so it's not as bad as it sounds. and as i said i think they would drop b/w all together without the capacity the rebrands give them (without the rebrands those sales would likely go to foma and others of that ilk)

Look at it this way rebadging film is no different than rebadging appliances, Kenmore is the biggest appliance brand in the US but they don't make a single appliancce. I'm pretty certain whirlpool would not be where they are today without the kenmore rebadging
I wonder how much less Fuji really makes on a roll of rebranded film. Have they simply cut out a middle man? Various companies did this with color films in film's heyday. That is practically all 3M did at one point.

I see this all the time with wine. If a store direct imports, prices go down and availability goes up. I'm not sure the winemaker got much less.

03-28-2011, 06:04 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

I doubt Fuji makes much less at all Gene as they avoid all the marketing cost for one. and the increased volume reduces the overall cost per unit for them so in reality they likely make more because of it
03-28-2011, 06:48 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Well, the Fuji/Legacy maths probably goes something like:

* It costs x to run off y feet of film.
* It only costs 2x to run off 6y, 2.5x to run off 12y...
* Running off only enough to fill the demand of all the suppliers/stores selling Fuji would be a PITA and, per unit, raise the actual cost of the final product.
* But run off more, and flog the excess at a bit above cost to another company who has to handle their own packaging/marketing/distribution, and it's a great way to subsidise your own brand film.
* Unless some clever bastards on the internet realise that you can get Fuji film for cheap under a different brand, which is why they've probably stopped Legacy buying it.

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
It's a common theme and issue over here isn't it
I just read, from another sandgroper on another forum, that an A&R bookstore in Perth got closed down from A&R/Borders going mammaries up. So they did the whole "knock everything down to 50%" and people were swarming in there like flies. Sweeping the shelves.

I'd like to think that some exec was watching that and going "Hmmm. There might be something to this low price, high volume thing after all. At least we're getting people in the door," but I know how incredibly naive that sounds.

We have a sad thing for duopolies ("Hey, at least it's not a monopoly!") Fairfax and News Ltd, Coles/Woolworths, A&R/Dymocks, Ted's/Camera House, and Westfield owns most of the retail space, Telstra's a large, fat, bloated fish in a small pond (no pun intended.) We're more of a don't-rock-the-boat society.

Ilford is basically twice the US price in Canada averaging $9 + a roll which is just a bloody ripoff
Trix is $7 + a roll
this is for 35mm roll 36
120 is as bad though trix is $5.29 vs $3.50 in the US
Ilford's more expensive? Those bloody Pommy traitors! Whatever happened to the Empire?

I don't mind paying the taxes and whatever it takes to give the people a fair wage and warranty support on the product, shipping etc, but I've yet to believe a roll of Tri-X is worth $13 dollars AU (might as well be US...) in Australia. Fair enough, Canada's closer to New York, but how much does a roll of Fuji Provia 400X cost? It's $30 dollars here - and Japan's closer to us than North America.
03-28-2011, 06:51 AM   #22
Site Supporter

I doubt Fuji makes much less at all Gene as they avoid all the marketing cost for one. and the increased volume reduces the overall cost per unit for them so in reality they likely make more because of it
I'm sure increasing the volume in manufacture also lowers per item manufacturing costs for all of the film.

I wonder how much Fuji really saves in marketing film, especially B&W, for the U.S., though. I don't see many ads for Fuji here, or even signs at camera stores. Their web site for Fujifilm USA is mostly about their digital P&S cameras.
03-28-2011, 07:17 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

in reality i don't see much marketing for film from anyone

03-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #24
Site Supporter

I would suggest that the Fuji/Freestyle arrangement is similar to gasoline. The refineries and fuel distributors often sell to stations representing multiple brands. (Yes, I have seen the same truck at the Texaco and the Shell station a couple of blocks away!)

Sales deals to companies such as Freestyle provides Fuji, Kodak, and Foma with a market for production overage and a means to move product that is approaching its outdate. The bottom line is that the producer is able to maximize the return from their production run.

Steve
03-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Well, the Fuji/Legacy maths probably goes something like:

* It costs x to run off y feet of film.
* It only costs 2x to run off 6y, 2.5x to run off 12y...
* Running off only enough to fill the demand of all the suppliers/stores selling Fuji would be a PITA and, per unit, raise the actual cost of the final product.
* But run off more, and flog the excess at a bit above cost to another company who has to handle their own packaging/marketing/distribution, and it's a great way to subsidise your own brand film.
* Unless some clever bastards on the internet realise that you can get Fuji film for cheap under a different brand, which is why they've probably stopped Legacy buying it.

I just read, from another sandgroper on another forum, that an A&R bookstore in Perth got closed down from A&R/Borders going mammaries up. So they did the whole "knock everything down to 50%" and people were swarming in there like flies. Sweeping the shelves.

I'd like to think that some exec was watching that and going "Hmmm. There might be something to this low price, high volume thing after all. At least we're getting people in the door," but I know how incredibly naive that sounds.

We have a sad thing for duopolies ("Hey, at least it's not a monopoly!") Fairfax and News Ltd, Coles/Woolworths, A&R/Dymocks, Ted's/Camera House, and Westfield owns most of the retail space, Telstra's a large, fat, bloated fish in a small pond (no pun intended.) We're more of a don't-rock-the-boat society.

Ilford's more expensive? Those bloody Pommy traitors! Whatever happened to the Empire?

I don't mind paying the taxes and whatever it takes to give the people a fair wage and warranty support on the product, shipping etc, but I've yet to believe a roll of Tri-X is worth $13 dollars AU (might as well be US...) in Australia. Fair enough, Canada's closer to New York, but how much does a roll of Fuji Provia 400X cost? It's $30 dollars here - and Japan's closer to us than North America.
Sandgroper? I haven't heard that term for quite a while!
For everyone else curious, it's very sandy where I live. Lots of beaches but also a lot of wind and sandy soil which is hard to grow anything other than native plants in. "Sandgroper" is apt.

On a serious note, I feel you are spot on with a lot of your comments.
For me personally it's hard to justify spending the local prices, even though I usually do want to support the Aussie sellers. When you're on a budget, it can be the difference between just shooting the occasional roll and shooting a lot more regularly (and hence learning a lot more and quicker).
Especially with slide film as noted...
I do try to purchase other photographic things locally if/when possible.

Interesting to hear about the pricing concerns in other locations.
Is there anywhere better than the US for purchasing film?
03-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Is there anywhere better than the US for purchasing film?
I'm not SURE about this, but I think Europe. I was in Belgium a few weeks back, and everything except fuji was (even with the exchange rate) either the same price or a few cents cheaper. And they had more variety! I've never seen Ilford or Foma in a shop here. I saw both in two different European stores.
We're a bit spoiled for price, they're a bit spoiled for choice, with all the major players besides fuji located quite close....
03-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
I'm not SURE about this, but I think Europe. I was in Belgium a few weeks back, and everything except fuji was (even with the exchange rate) either the same price or a few cents cheaper. And they had more variety! I've never seen Ilford or Foma in a shop here. I saw both in two different European stores.
We're a bit spoiled for price, they're a bit spoiled for choice, with all the major players besides fuji located quite close....
thats odd because it's a comman complaint from UK people that ilford is cheaper in the US
03-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #28
Veteran Member

thats odd because it's a comman complaint from UK people that ilford is cheaper in the US
The Ilford may be, I didn't buy. Ilford seems to always be expensive, so I don't shoot it much.
03-29-2011, 04:59 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
The Ilford may be, I didn't buy. Ilford seems to always be expensive, so I don't shoot it much.
i have the same issue, i actually love ilford film probably more than any other but it is expensive (mind you it's worth supporting so i do buy it sometimes)
03-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #30
Veteran Member

i have the same issue, i actually love ilford film probably more than any other but it is expensive (mind you it's worth supporting so i do buy it sometimes)
I use a lot of kentmere. It's to Ilford standards as far as quality, and the same people are getting my money.
So technically, I do support Ilford.