Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2011, 08:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Where are the great deals on film?

I just ordered THIS. Because I read here that it's the same as Fuji Neopan. Seems like an awesome deal.

So, if Fuji is making un-labeled film for sale cheap by other companies, are they doing it for color films, too? Is Kodak doing anything similar? I just discovered the joy of shooting film recently, so I'm going through a lot of it. Looking for any route I can find to avoid paying 4 to 6 dollars per roll for film.

03-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Rumor has it that Arista Premium 400 is re-branded Tri-X.

I am personally not a huge fan of these rebadged films. I stick with the original brands because I feel that the money should go to the inventors of this intellectual property. Besides, I find $5 for a roll of film adequate. If this becomes too expensive, one should probably shoot less instead of trying to find cheaper film.

Cheers,
Tassilo
03-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for replying. Since I don't know anything about the "rebadging" of films, I'm interested in this statement:

QuoteOriginally posted by vparseval Quote
I stick with the original brands because I feel that the money should go to the inventors of this intellectual property.
I was under the impression that Fuji simply sold this film to someone else for resale. Is someone getting screwed out of this deal?

I agree that $5 is a fair price for a roll of film, and I also agree that minimizing the number of shots is a good idea. That is in fact one of the big reasons I've started shooting film. I am am an overshooter with my digital rigs, and I'm hoping to get better about that.

All of that said, a lot of my early work with film will be doing experiments, since it is a new thing for me. Especially when I venture into processing. Therefore, like most people, I'm looking to cut costs where I can.
03-22-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's easy to decipher what is being made for freestyle by country of origin.
the US = Kodak
Japan = fuji
and Czech = Fomo I believe

I have used both the legacy pro 100 and 400 and it is indeed acros and neopan. the bulk has the fuji logo down the side can't remember if the rolled stuff Did

Arista Premium films are tri-x and plus-x

If it weren't for the rebranded sales that companies like freestyle makes i could well see fuji shutting down b/w altogether. the only way you can rebrand a film is to commit to very large qty and freestyle is one of the only places selling enough b/w to do so

I buy other films from kodak and fuji to support them (almost all colour films and slides i buy are from these 2 and i don't buy rebranded colour as it's always a film i don't use anyway.)
the rebranded colour fuji sells is the superia consumer grade stuff Todd. It's the Shoppers drug mart film here in Canada. decent enough for snaps but no where near the quality of the pro grade films which i lean towards (with colour there are very distinct characteristics you chase with each film. with b/w the choice of developer can change the film characteristics once you start doing your own developing)
for fooling around with colour at low cost the walmart films and costco films may well be made by Fuji as well (the Ferrania is a good low cost colour frequently private branded, Jussi seems to like it)

Personally for me its velvia, Provia, Portra150 Portra 400 for colour
for b/w i am still burning througgh the legacy pro for 35mm next time out i will go with the arista for a change (i really like tri-x in any case)
for MF I use mostly Ilford films Panf and the delta family (100/400/3200) as i typically am chasing the highest quality with the sharpest image there. I tried a bunch of rollei and find it just curls too much (i here the foma does as well, and the adox stuff is apparently really curly though i love the results i've seen on the ortho25 speed)

03-22-2011, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Oh and as for someone getting screwed in the deal, Fuji makes less per roll but also has no promotional back end to fund so it's not as bad as it sounds. and as i said i think they would drop b/w all together without the capacity the rebrands give them (without the rebrands those sales would likely go to foma and others of that ilk)

Look at it this way rebadging film is no different than rebadging appliances, Kenmore is the biggest appliance brand in the US but they don't make a single appliancce. I'm pretty certain whirlpool would not be where they are today without the kenmore rebadging
03-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Eddie, you're always filled with good information!
03-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

it cost me money to get there lol there are several films i wish i'd not tried given the hassles of scanning them

03-22-2011, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Film choice is very personal.
Tri-X is considered sacred by many, personally I've never found it especially impressive. ASTOUNDINGLY consistent, not particularly striking. Kentmere, which many consider to be cheap and grainy, I love. If the exposure and dev are good the grain isn't much more prominent that in Tri-x....
But I digress. Film in general, and particularly B&W film/developer combos, are very personal choices. Try a little of anything that strikes your fancy. In a few months you'll be settled on a couple of films and developers, and know what to expect from each.
Especially look for films from the smaller houses, such as Efke, Foma, and Kentmere. Kodak, Fuji, and Ilford are quite good, but Agfa, Kentmere, Efke, and Foma have their own character and merit.
Also be aware that the LP 100 is Across, not Neopan SS. Neopan 400 handles a tad different from either.
03-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
I was under the impression that Fuji simply sold this film to someone else for resale. Is someone getting screwed out of this deal?
As noted above, you are correct. The manufacture of the Freestyle's Legacy Pro, Arista, and Arista.EDU Ultra films is reputedly by Fuji, Kodak, and Foma. The films are confectioned and packaged for sale with the Freestyle brand names. The rule of the day is purchase, use, and enjoy! Note that the 20 roll bricks of Legacy Pro 400 currently offered by Freestyle are short dated. Not a huge deal if you refrigerate your stock.

Steve
03-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I would assume that the rebranding of film and the resultant sale at a lower price is like the difference between wholesale and retail sales. And of course volume is important.
I would think that the film manufacturers would love to sell all of their film at retail prices. But if they also sell the film cheaply to someone else (but in a very large volume), they will sell more rolls than they otherwise could. Yes, there's probably less profit per roll but at the end of the day they are selling more than they would have without the wholesale agreement.

Increased volume, lower per unit profit, still means profit overall. And it means more demand.
I'm sure that if the manufacturers were losing money out of the deal, they simply would not do it.

Surely it's also about costs. Selling the base film stock direct to Freestyle without packaging, branding, printing, support etc. would lower the cost.

Anyway, sorry if that's too many words on the subject. Just order some film and enjoy it, like what Steve said
03-26-2011, 09:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I appreciate all of the info. Just got my LegacyPro 400. I knew it was short-dated when I ordered, but the date is 9/2011, which is not as short as I expected, so Yay.

General storage question: if the refrigerator is good, is the freezer better? I assume in either case it will be best to transition the film to room temp in a plastic bag or something, to avoid condensation?
03-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

...if the refrigerator is good, is the freezer better? I assume in either case it will be best to transition the film to room temp in a plastic bag or something, to avoid condensation?
  • The freezer might be better, but probably not necessary if you are planning on shooting the film in the next two years or so
  • Yes, it is best to let the packaging come up to room temp before opening the plastic can, depending on where you live. No need to fuss with a plastic bag since the plastic can is pretty air tight. I usually carry the can around in my pant pocket for a ten or fifteen minutes before loading the camera.

Steve
03-27-2011, 04:07 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Another route to go if you're shooting a lot of film, and find a few you like, would be to buy the film you like in 100' rolls and a bulk loader and roll your own. It's cheap, easy, and is environmentally friendly. Or at least more friendly.
03-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I agree that $5 is a fair price for a roll of film
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh, lordie.
03-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh, lordie.
Are you laughing 'cos the price of film per roll in Australia is usually 2-3x that "fair price" of $5??

I order online from the US now, couldn't afford to shoot much film otherwise