08-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Save your thoriated lenses for later!

8 grams of thorium could replace gasoline in cars | Geek.com

U.S. Researcher Preparing Prototype Cars Powered by Heavy-Metal Thorium

08-16-2011, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
A very wise move. Pentax lenses in general are hazardous. After only 36 years of exposure to them, my hair has turned gray and started to fall out.
This is especially noticeable (and hazardous) if you grind-up the lenses and eat them. And they're dangerous from a distance too, and retroactively. Why, my hair started turning silver 30 years ago, and I didn't even get my first SuperTak until 2008!

Yes, SuperTaks are extremely dangerous. If you encounter any, wrap them in lead foil and ship them to me -- I'll dispose of them safely, I promise.
08-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #48
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
I will do that. I need to dispose off about 7 Taks. Wait for my PM (sitting..., so you will not get tired of waiting )
I am glad you suggested sitting. Hysterical
08-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That explains many things I am going through, and I have had it only for few weeks. Instead, I had the 8 elements STak that does not have the Thorioum (sp?) coating.

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
A very wise move. Pentax lenses in general are hazardous. After only 36 years of exposure to them, my hair has turned gray and started to fall out.

John

08-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
not have the Thorioum (sp?) coating
The thorium is not a coating, but is actually part of the formula for the glass.

Steve
08-17-2011, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The effects of thorium radiation were studied extensively in the early '60s, and found to cause hypnotic suggestibility in the test subjects. Pentax devised an ingenious method of leveraging this - if you play the sound of the Spotmatic shutter backwards, you'll hear "Buy More Pentax"
08-19-2011, 01:50 AM   #52
Inactive Account

So, correct me if I misunderstand (I may have bitten by Birsbane spider and become, er, stupider) eating 1.4 taks is not only cheaper than eating banana's it's better for my health.
Damn, and I had plans to use it to focus light onto some Tri-X.

Matt
(in Brisbane where banana prices are comming down, but still rival S-M-C taks pound for pound...)

08-19-2011, 04:03 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by callagh11 Quote
So, correct me if I misunderstand (I may have bitten by Birsbane spider and become, er, stupider) eating 1.4 taks is not only cheaper than eating banana's it's better for my health.
Correct. And unlike bananas, Taks won't go extinct within the next decade, according to biologists. So you can enjoy Tak smoothies without contributing to global decay. Huzzah!
08-19-2011, 04:26 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Well if they were produced in the last year ... very radioactive.
11-15-2012, 12:11 AM   #55

All Children Report to the Thorium

I have a 6x7 format 105mm f2.4 which is showing moderate yellow tint. How do I get rid of it?

I heard that UV light will rid the lens of this tint, so I bought a 50 watt reptile light that emits UVA (and heat, unfortunately) and I've had it positioned just above the lens for 3 days, but it's had no effect (as far as I can tell from waking up in the morning and looking at it.)

The lens' serial number is 4241097. I heard the serials aren't sequential, so that might be pointless. But my other concern is that the lens might actually have some kind of slightly yellow coating, but every website I've checked says it's Thorium.

How do I fix my Thorium affliction?
11-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mgarber Quote
I have a 6x7 format 105mm f2.4 which is showing moderate yellow tint. How do I get rid of it?

I heard that UV light will rid the lens of this tint, so I bought a 50 watt reptile light that emits UVA (and heat, unfortunately) and I've had it positioned just above the lens for 3 days, but it's had no effect (as far as I can tell from waking up in the morning and looking at it.)

The lens' serial number is 4241097. I heard the serials aren't sequential, so that might be pointless. But my other concern is that the lens might actually have some kind of slightly yellow coating, but every website I've checked says it's Thorium.

How do I fix my Thorium affliction?
Sell it.
11-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Having just acquired a Super Tak 35/2 I now have a very yellow lens. Unfortunately, we're unlikely to see the sun for the next four or five months... I'll just have to stick with loading the camera with Tri-X

K.
11-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My Super Takumar 50 f1.4 lenses "un-yellowed" amazingly in a day using an 18" fluorescent black-light fixture I've had stashed since the 1960s. Possibly the bulb you have doesn't cover the same UV wavelengths. I put a layer of aluminum foil in the front cap and placed the lenses front-down in a plastic tub, with the light fixture across the tub so it was about 2" over the back side of the lenses; then put a "tent" of aluminum foil over the fluorescent tube to concentrate the light down on the lenses, but with enough gap around the foil so any heat could escape. The lenses never felt warm with this setup, so no worry about the lubricants migrating inside the lenses.
The SuperTaks do have an amber lens coating instead of the bluish tint of the later SMC lenses, but the coating doesn't cause yellow tint in pictures.
My lenses gave a yellow cast visible in the viewfinder as well as on film. I left the lenses under the light for a couple days, even though the change over the first night was amazing. That got rid of the yellow tint.
11-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
My Super Takumar 50 f1.4 lenses "un-yellowed" amazingly in a day using an 18" fluorescent black-light fixture I've had stashed since the 1960s.
Was it the same kind of black light that one would find in a night club or fun house? I have some friends that run bars, they might have one like that.
11-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mgarber Quote
Was it the same kind of black light that one would find in a night club or fun house? I have some friends that run bars, they might have one like that.
Yes it was - same type.
Closed Thread