Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Shots from my "new" MX

Ran a test roll through the camera, so these are just kinda boring snaps. But I found out:

1. that center-weighted metering actually works, LOL
2. I like TMax 400 (I didn't think I was supposed to) --nvm, I just realized this was Tri-X, not TMax.
3. This old Pentax A 50/1.7, which I bought months ago and have never used, is pretty sweet

One question, since I have so little experience with film: I notice the edges here are bright. Most noticeable in the water valve shot, but present throughout the roll. Is that an issue with the camera, or the film, or something else?

Last edited by Todd Adamson; 03-24-2011 at 09:39 AM.
03-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Those are some very nice shots. I just got my 'new to me' MX and can't wait to spin a roll of film through it. Sorry I can't answer your question, but am interested what others have to say.
03-23-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Regarding the bright edges - perhaps due to a light leak. The original seals in the camera back are long since gone and the previous owner may not have replaced them.
03-23-2011, 04:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DanWeso Quote
Those are some very nice shots. I just got my 'new to me' MX and can't wait to spin a roll of film through it.
Thanks! I suspect you'll love it. This is a great camera.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Regarding the bright edges - perhaps due to a light leak. The original seals in the camera back are long since gone and the previous owner may not have replaced them.
Thank you, that's what I am wondering, if a light leak would show those symptoms. The seals have never been replaced, so it would be unsurprising. I plan to send it to Eric for a CLA. But I was thinking if it wasn't leaking now, I'd do some shooting with it first. But if this looks like leaky seals, I'll be sending it off soon!

03-23-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
Thanks! I suspect you'll love it. This is a great camera.

Thank you, that's what I am wondering, if a light leak would show those symptoms. The seals have never been replaced, so it would be unsurprising. I plan to send it to Eric for a CLA. But I was thinking if it wasn't leaking now, I'd do some shooting with it first. But if this looks like leaky seals, I'll be sending it off soon!
A CLA is always a good idea when you first get the camera, but unless I'm going blind, there is only one of those shots that really looks like a serious light leak.
03-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
that's what I am wondering, if a light leak would show those symptoms.
I think not. A light leak from the door seal would extend beyond the edge of the frame and the edge on your image is nicely black. I suspect an issue with development (agitation?). Do you see the excess density on the negative under visual examination?

Steve
03-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, you guys. Another person I asked mentioned that it looked like a potential agitation issue. I do see a tinge of darkness at the edges in some areas.....maybe my imagination...

At any rate I'll be contacting Eric soon.

BTW I made a mistake in the first post, which I'll go back and edit: this was actually NOT TMax, but rather Tri-X.

03-24-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I think agitation is probably the issue Todd. Light leaks are consistent for the most part with the exception of winding of multiple frames back to back where the leak may not be as noticeable on some frames but the first an last frame in the series would show it noticeably.

when diagnosing a leak any issue on the bottom of the pic originates at the top of the camera remember (and vise versa). even with a leak it's easy enough to cover the suspect area with electrical tape and shoot until you send off for a CLA or order a seal kit and DIY if everything else seems to be working
some electrical tape in the suspect areas next roll would confirm a leak in an case (my holga leaks like crazy but electrical tape eliminates most of it, one of my FEDs the same and tape was the solution)
03-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

btw the shots are quite good and definitely a step above a snapshot i think
I like the clock and the shutoff valve in particular
03-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Excellent results there -
apart from development artifacts - I'd suggest the reel does something - other possible causes include artifacts from scanning, or something going on with the vertical shutter sometimes.
03-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
something going on with the vertical shutter sometimes.
Jussi, I wondered about shutter lag as well, but then it struck me...Pentax MX...horizontal shutter...

Steve
03-25-2011, 02:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Jussi, I wondered about shutter lag as well, but then it struck me...Pentax MX...horizontal shutter...

Steve
Well right you are, and I thought so too, only I fell victim to Internet Fact Checking where someone had a bum comparison of a MX and an OM. Goes to show...
03-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great info, thanks to everyone. I just scanned my second roll, some expired Portra 160NC, and there were no light artifacts, so I'm thinking it was definitely a developing issue.