Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Good deal on this vintage equipment?!

Hey there,
I found someone selling quite a bit of vintage stuff in EXCELLENT condition, I'm geting everything for $350. Was wondering if thats a good price or given that the stuff is non pentax, the price was a bit much. Equipment is as follows

LENSES
1.Soligor 28-80 F 3.5-4.5
2.Tamron 80-210 F3.8–4.0
3.Sigma 16mm Fisheye F 2.8
4.Vivitar 200mm - F 3.5
5.Vivitar Macro 90mm F 2.5 (This is a 2 part lens - use both parts for macro 1:1)
6.Chinon 55mm F 1.7 (This lens came with the Chinon body below)
7.Soligor 2X teleconverter for Pentax thread lenses

CAMERA BODIES (All 3 bodies have ever ready cases included)
1.Pentax Spotmatic - good condition
2.Pentax ES - excellent condition
3.Chinon CE-3 - with power winder (uses the Pentax thread mount) excellent condition

Any and all help would be great!

03-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
yes. If you can use it all, or sell some of the bits.
03-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jag0 Quote
3.Sigma 16mm Fisheye F 2.8
I want to see photos made with this one.
have you bought it already?
I've got a Vivitar macro 50 f2.5 wich i like i lot, curious about yours there.
If you have bought it all you can start a "vintage deal" thread with ftos from all the lenses, it can be fun.
03-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Haven't bought any of it yet actually. The only things i REALLY want from it are the Macro lens and the Fisheye. However I was wondering if $350 for all that was a good deal since I'm pretty sure the guy wants to keep everything together.

03-25-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think it's a fair price...are the cameras in working condition?
I think that reselling things above you can get some dough back and make both the macro and the fisheye pretty cheap (maybe he wants to get rid of all altogether to not have to do the job of selling piece by piece...the working spottys go for a fine price in ebay, so you may want to consider the offer.)
03-26-2011, 02:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The Sigma Fisheye 16/2.8 and Vivitar Macro 90/2.5 are fairly valuable now, I think.
The Vivitar 200/3.5 is good; the Chinon 55/1.7 is great. Neither are costly now.
The other glass is probably OK but not exciting nor especially valuable now.
The Chinon body is likely good but worthless. The Pentaxi have some value.

I'll put on my lens- and camera-trader hat. I *would* pay US$350 for the lot, but I don't really need any of those, so I'd sell-off everything for a tidy profit. Or maybe I'd keep the Macro, sell the rest, and at least break even. I don't need the Fisheye; I already have a Zenitar 16/2.8 and those go for ~US$200 now. If I needed both the Fisheye and the Macro, I'd figure that selling the rest would make them quite affordable. If I didn't already have the Chinon 55/1.7 (mine on a CR-3E body cost US$6 together) I would keep it, 'cause it's still a vastly under-valued sleeper of a lens. I don't need another Spotty, so I'd sell all the rest.

Bottom line: I think it's a good price.
03-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't buy stuff you won't use. If there are lenses or bodies on the list that will just sit on the shelf, try to talk your seller for a better deal on just parts of the haul.

Or if you get everything, put the stuff you won't use on sale. Someone may be looking for just that one piece.

03-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #8

I have the Sigma fisheye and it's a good (though big and heavy) lens. The Vivitar macro was a bit of a "cult" lens and is supposed to be very good but I have never used one.

Not so that a CE-3 Chinon body is worthless - it was about the only successful automatic camera made for M42 lenses and is hard to find nowadays.
03-29-2011, 04:57 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
hmmm Well i think what I'll do is grab the haul, and then play with the lenses for a bit to see what I like and what I don't like. Then sell the rest. At the very least i should be able to recoup the cost by selling the camera and some of the lenses....I think??
03-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asaru Quote
Don't buy stuff you won't use.
It's the stuff I bought that I didn't use, and resold at a profit, that paid for much of the stuff I *do* use.

QuoteOriginally posted by skruft Quote
Not so that a CE-3 Chinon body is worthless - it was about the only successful automatic camera made for M42 lenses and is hard to find nowadays.
By 'worthless' I didn't mean 'useless'. I cherish (and use) my CR-3E, yes, the most advanced M42 body. But check eBay's COMPLETED LISTINGS data and see what price it fetches. Not a lot, I think.

hmmm Well i think what I'll do is grab the haul, and then play with the lenses for a bit to see what I like and what I don't like. Then sell the rest. At the very least i should be able to recoup the cost by selling the camera and some of the lenses....I think??
Yup. I stand by my earlier evaluation. Keep what grabs you, sell the rest, buy more, repeat forever. Then *you* can be a Lens Trader too, eh?

Last edited by RioRico; 03-29-2011 at 08:07 PM.
04-03-2011, 06:56 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well I bought them, and I have to say, the guy who owned them before kept them in PRISTINE condition! To my untrained eye they look more or less new. Not even dust on the lenses.

So now it's time to play with them and see what I like and don't like.

Question: What are some ways to go about determining their worth? (Aside from checking ebay)
04-03-2011, 08:06 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Question: What are some ways to go about determining their worth? (Aside from checking ebay)
You could check the Lens Database.

Third-Party Lenses for Pentax - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database
04-03-2011, 10:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You could check the Lens Database.
Unfortunately, the LDB averages prices over several years. The COMPLETED LISTINGS on eBay better reflect current market conditions.