Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2011, 09:26 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Having a Soligor C/D lens repaired

I have a Soligor C/D series lens (the 35-70mm f2.5-3.5) which has a semi-working auto-aperture (it doesn't always close down when I press the D-O-F preview) and I'm worried that it's causing my pictures to be overexposed. It's in fantastic shape cosmetically and optically, and the aperture blades are free from oil.

What might be causing this problem, and is this the sort of thing that Eric could fix?

03-26-2011, 09:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Faulty or tired spring for the aperture blades?
I'm sure Eric can fix something like that, just email him with your query.
If you are handy, you can probably do it yourself.
I had one lens like that before.
All I did was take the lens off the camera, then during my free time, I would just actuate the aperture lever back and forth until everything loosened up.
I did this 'coz something appeared to be sticking and I guessed that it might just have been from the age of the lens and the storage it got before I purchased it.
03-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't think it's the blades themselves. When they close they close fast and completely. The problem, I THINK, it that the aperture lever is hanging up somewhere. When it's off the camera the aperture moves smoothly, and when the DOF lever actually stops it down there aren't any slow or lazy blades...

Also I should mention it was essentially new when I bought it, I'm pretty sure it had never been mounted to a camera.
03-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If there is nothing wrong with the lens then you are saying that it might be the camera?
Test it with other lenses and if it does the same with that, then the camera is needing some fixing.
I think Eric can fix something like that and he will do a CLA too.
Who knows, it might just need a CLA..more on the Adjustment part and it would get fixed without needing any major repairs.
Just contact him and tell him about the symptoms of the camera.

03-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's definitely the lens, it shows the same issues when it's unmounted and I move the lever manually, and when the M 50mm is mounted I have no problems with the DOF button.
The lens was in my camera bag for two long-haul flights and a week of overseas travel, it's quite possible something ended up getting knocked out of alignment or bent during that time.

I have an M-series 40-80 zoom with a touch of fungus, maybe I'd be better off sending that to Eric and trying to take the mount off and fix this lens.....

Last edited by PGillin; 03-26-2011 at 06:36 PM.
03-27-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eric is not fond of working on zooms and does not specialize in Soligor,
but he might be willing to give it a try on a "best effort" basis.

IMO even at his low rates a Soligor lens is probably not worth getting repaired.

Chris
03-27-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Eric is not fond of working on zooms and does not specialize in Soligor,
but he might be willing to give it a try on a "best effort" basis.

IMO even at his low rates a Soligor lens is probably not worth getting repaired.

Chris
It's a surprisingly good lens, and very fast for a zoom. It's given me sharp, detailed shots, and is a little low on contrast, but that's adjustable and not really a problem for me because I usually end up bringing the contrast down just a little bit anyways, especially on consumer colour and anything that's been in rodinal.

Although I understand that Soligor is not very highly regarded this is actually quite a nice lens and worth having in working order, at least to me.