Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2007, 06:34 AM   #1

ME Super Question .....

Newbie here....looking forward to learning more

I am still in the learning mode having used a K1000 and now i have a

ME Super SLR

Simple question I have a Pentax Flash AF-330 FTZ zoom

Is this a good flash for the ME Super or does it matter?

Thanks for any input....

10-26-2007, 06:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

ME Super & Flash

I have an ME Super, but I don't know much about the AF330FTZ flash. I'm assuming that it is a TTL flash with automatic zoom.

It should work with the ME Super, as long as the flash has a manual mode. The ME Super does not have the TTL communication with the flash. Nor does it tell the flash the focal length of the lens, so you must set that manually.

I just looked at the manual for the AF330FTZ on the Pentax website. It does have a manual mode, but it is truly manual, apparently. That means that you need to calculate the f-stop for every shot by dividing the guide number by the distance. This could be a pain in the neck.

It looks to me like that flash is actually too much for the ME Super, yet it doesn't have a non-TTL automatic mode.

Back in the bad old days, the sixties and seventies, when electronic flash replaced flash bulbs, ALL flash units required you to calculate the f-stop for each shot. They usually had a little circular slide rule calculator on the back that helped.

Then they came out with thyristor or quench tube flash units. These were a giant leap forward. The instructions for the flash told you what f-stop to set for a particular ASA/ISO film speed. For example, you might set the camera at f/5.6 for ISO 400 film. Then, when you took a picture, the flash had a sensor that detected when enough light had reflected back from the subject and stopped the flash. Consequently, these flashes had a variable flash duration of from 1/1000 second to 1/50,000. The closer the subject, the shorter the flash. However, there was no dedication or communication between the flash and the camera.

Then came the dedicated flashes. These were little more than the automatic flashes, but they added an extra pin on the shoe. With this pin, the flash could tell the camera that it was ready for fire. I believe the ME Super has this. If it detects a flash and the flash indicates it is ready, the camera will set the shutter speed to the maximum flash sync speed.

The TTL flashes added even more pins and work only with cameras that support the function. In this case, the camera has sensors within the camera body that detect when enough light has reached the film. At that point, the camera tells the flash to terminate the light.

From reading the manual, it looks to me like the AF330FTZ operates only in TTL or fully manual modes. What you'd really like is one that operates in either the automatic or dedicated modes.

The Vivitar 285HV is such a flash. It is a workhorse that was in production for years and years before Vivitar finally dropped it. However, popular demand was so great that they actually put it back in production. It is available new from B & H. You can also find them on eBay along with its cousin, the 283.

There are probably a lot of other options, as well.

Hope this helps.

Paul Noble
10-26-2007, 01:43 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I have an ME Super, but I don't know much about the AF330FTZ flash. I'm assuming that it is a TTL flash with automatic zoom.

It should work with the ME Super, as long as the flash has a manual mode. The ME Super does not have the TTL communication with the flash. Nor does it tell the flash the focal length of the lens, so you must set that manually.

I just looked at the manual for the AF330FTZ on the Pentax website. It does have a manual mode, but it is truly manual, apparently. That means that you need to calculate the f-stop for every shot by dividing the guide number by the distance. This could be a pain in the neck.

It looks to me like that flash is actually too much for the ME Super, yet it doesn't have a non-TTL automatic mode.

Back in the bad old days, the sixties and seventies, when electronic flash replaced flash bulbs, ALL flash units required you to calculate the f-stop for each shot. They usually had a little circular slide rule calculator on the back that helped.

Then they came out with thyristor or quench tube flash units. These were a giant leap forward. The instructions for the flash told you what f-stop to set for a particular ASA/ISO film speed. For example, you might set the camera at f/5.6 for ISO 400 film. Then, when you took a picture, the flash had a sensor that detected when enough light had reflected back from the subject and stopped the flash. Consequently, these flashes had a variable flash duration of from 1/1000 second to 1/50,000. The closer the subject, the shorter the flash. However, there was no dedication or communication between the flash and the camera.

Then came the dedicated flashes. These were little more than the automatic flashes, but they added an extra pin on the shoe. With this pin, the flash could tell the camera that it was ready for fire. I believe the ME Super has this. If it detects a flash and the flash indicates it is ready, the camera will set the shutter speed to the maximum flash sync speed.

The TTL flashes added even more pins and work only with cameras that support the function. In this case, the camera has sensors within the camera body that detect when enough light has reached the film. At that point, the camera tells the flash to terminate the light.

From reading the manual, it looks to me like the AF330FTZ operates only in TTL or fully manual modes. What you'd really like is one that operates in either the automatic or dedicated modes.

The Vivitar 285HV is such a flash. It is a workhorse that was in production for years and years before Vivitar finally dropped it. However, popular demand was so great that they actually put it back in production. It is available new from B & H. You can also find them on eBay along with its cousin, the 283.

There are probably a lot of other options, as well.

Hope this helps.

Paul Noble

Paul...

thanks ...

I do happen to have V 285 flash, so there is still hope

I appreciate your response and your feedback....

I might try to take some same shots with the differ flashes and see what

happens.