Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
stay away from Ricoh program cameras with their infamous Ricoh pin
Jussi! The lenses may be cursed, but the bodies are no problem. They work just fine with all Pentax lenses with aperture rings in Av and M mode.

Steve

03-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
...a KX, and a ricoh XR-2s. What I like about this pairing is that the control layout and viewfinder is identical in terms of everything down to the match needle metering and presentation, so the cameras are truely interchangeable. The KX is more rugged...
Ha! Ha! I also own both cameras and consider the XR-2s to be more rugged (it resists dents and scratches better). Either way, they are both great cameras and the similarity of control layout and viewfinder is simply spooky. The cameras are virtual twins except that the Ricoh is a little lighter. Here are the twin sons of different mothers side by side mounted to 200mm teles:

K10D, XR Rikenon 50/2

Steve
03-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jaieger Quote
Thanks all for the very quick replies, I guess what I meant WRT the lenses was if they'd mount and meter okay; I remember reading something about the protuding super-tak rear elements hitting mirrors (though I'm 85% sure I have the 7-elements version).

Though I was mainly planning on just doing a K1000 for the sentimental/nostalgic value, I just might look into alternate, similar bodies that you guys've suggested...

But yeah, my main question was about the film, and it looks to me like I should start asking around some camera stores about using/developing films...
You might consider picking up some used photo books to help you with developing as well as camera operations. Some used book stores carry them, and you can also go online. They tend to be very cheap, and quite effective as learning tools. Anything written after about 1985 should be fairly useful for black and white.

If you try to do your own developing I'd recommend starting with something like Tri-X or HP5 as they are fairly forgiving in terms of development variations.

John
03-29-2011, 09:56 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ha! Ha! I also own both cameras and consider the XR-2s to be more rugged (it resists dents and scratches better). Either way, they are both great cameras and the similarity of control layout and viewfinder is simply spooky. The cameras are virtual twins except that the Ricoh is a little lighter. Here are the twin sons of different mothers side by side mounted to 200mm teles:

K10D, XR Rikenon 50/2

Steve
funny, really funny

I cant match the twin 200's you have on the front, but...... what about a pair of 50F2's one pentax on XR Rikenon?

actually the XR-2s was my first camera bought new in 1981. I picked up the KX a year lager when looking for a second body (wanted to shoot ektachrome 400 as well as kodachrome 64 without back winding film) and wanted a ground glass only focusing screen so I coulf use my 400F5.6 without split image black out. The KX was made with different screens and it was easy in 1982 to get one cheap as the MX was already out.

What I don't like about the ricoh, when you say it is tougher, I am not so sure, mine has a problem of intermittant power contact due to distortion of the camera body when long heavy lenses are hung on the camera and supported by the body tripod mount. My big fat lens was the series 1 70-210F3.5 version 1 at 1 kilo.

I never was really able to get consistent power contact, without modification becaus epower to the camera base was a spring contact internally. I ultimately soldered it perminantly.

Camera still works, but has not been used, other than to trip the shutter occasionally in about 6 years. ALso have the motor winder for it.

While I can't complain about either body, if I go out today and shoot film, it is with my PZ-1. In fact, did 2 rolls a week or so ago, thinking about doing a wedding in B&W film just for the hell of it.

p.s. did you ever figure out why one camera has a green needle and the other a blue one?

03-29-2011, 08:01 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
funny, really funny

I cant match the twin 200's you have on the front, but...... what about a pair of 50F2's one pentax on XR Rikenon?

actually the XR-2s was my first camera bought new in 1981. I picked up the KX a year lager when looking for a second body (wanted to shoot ektachrome 400 as well as kodachrome 64 without back winding film) and wanted a ground glass only focusing screen so I coulf use my 400F5.6 without split image black out. The KX was made with different screens and it was easy in 1982 to get one cheap as the MX was already out.

What I don't like about the ricoh, when you say it is tougher, I am not so sure, mine has a problem of intermittant power contact due to distortion of the camera body when long heavy lenses are hung on the camera and supported by the body tripod mount. My big fat lens was the series 1 70-210F3.5 version 1 at 1 kilo.

I never was really able to get consistent power contact, without modification becaus epower to the camera base was a spring contact internally. I ultimately soldered it perminantly...

...p.s. did you ever figure out why one camera has a green needle and the other a blue one?
Nope, no Pentax 50/2...just two XR Rikenon 50/2! (I have two XR-series Ricoh bodies.)

I remember reading about your flexing body issues. That does not surprise me since even metal bodied cameras of the time were generally built on stamped/cast metal chassis. While the mirror boxes and film rails are generally well aligned and rigid, supporting structures often are not. Did you consider a tripod ring for the Series 1? (Hard to find, I know, but I have seriously considered finding one for the Viv 200 in the photo above!)

As for the difference in needle color...I suppose the people at Ricoh wanted to be a little original!

Steve
03-30-2011, 04:53 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Nope, no Pentax 50/2...just two XR Rikenon 50/2! (I have two XR-series Ricoh bodies.)

I remember reading about your flexing body issues. That does not surprise me since even metal bodied cameras of the time were generally built on stamped/cast metal chassis. While the mirror boxes and film rails are generally well aligned and rigid, supporting structures often are not. Did you consider a tripod ring for the Series 1? (Hard to find, I know, but I have seriously considered finding one for the Viv 200 in the photo above!)

As for the difference in needle color...I suppose the people at Ricoh wanted to be a little original!

Steve
there is no tripod ring available for the Series 1 70-210 Version 1. Given the weight of the lens it is a bit of an oversight, but I suppose they were marketing the speed constant F3.5 as a hand hold lens.