Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2007, 07:35 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Z-??? camera

I got offered a black Pentax Z-somewhat camera on the internet. However, I cannot exactly tell the camera type from the pics i got. Only thing I found is the "Z-" part, and a flash standing beside the viewfinder (as opposed to "on top of"). Then something written next to the lens, but what is it: 30? 1p? Now my question is: is there a "Pentax Film SLR Database", like we have a SLR lens database attached to this forum? If so, I can compare images and check what I find!

Thanks for helping me out!
Syb

10-26-2007, 07:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter

the PZ1P/PZ1 has the built in flash to one side of the body, near the shutter release.
10-26-2007, 08:24 AM   #3
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
the PZ1P/PZ1 has the built in flash to one side of the body, near the shutter release.
Actually, I think that it is the hot shoe what it has in the side of the body. You can check some pentax specs in Pentax Imaging - Home
10-26-2007, 08:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Have a look on this site to identify Pentax Z/PZ-Series Film Bodies

I think the previous poster is correct in that the pop up flash is centred, but the hot-shoe is off to one side.

10-26-2007, 08:49 AM   #5
Not Registered

You can take a look to the MF/AF switch, the higher end modes have something like Manual/servo/single.
10-26-2007, 09:03 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
Actually, I think that it is the hot shoe what it has in the side of the body. You can check some pentax specs in Pentax Imaging - Home
Oops. I didn't read the original question correctly. Apologies.
10-26-2007, 11:19 AM   #7
Syb
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your help! It looks most like the Z10. How good/bad is that? Looks like few buttons on it, so little to do for oneself?

I'm used to K10d.

Do not tell me that compared to that, everything is crap!

Thanks
10-28-2007, 06:27 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Depending on where you are in the world - or, more correctly, where the camera came from - slightly different names were given to the same models of cameras.

I have a Z-10 - it's definitely a consumer model, not a prosumer. It's mainly aperture priority, but also has a manual mode, depending on whether or not the lens is set to A.

There's not much going on in the viewfinder when you're shooting, which is a pain for full manual operation. A simple "+ O -" vertical LED scale on the right side tells you whether you're overexposed, correctly exposed and underexposed respectively. The familiar ol' beep and flattened hexagon tell you when you're focused. Nothing is projected on the viewfinder glass itself.

Shutter speed, remain frames and modes are shown on a top-mounted LCD panel, which means you have to meter, remove your eye from the finder, and check shutter speed, then recompose and shoot. This results in the infamous "oh crap" problem that arises on all cameras after you hear the sound of half a shutter-cycle after 1/30 second and longer (depending on focal length and ap) with handheld shots.

On the plus side, it cost me $15AU, from a chain of pawnshops that are notorious for overpricing, so this may be considered a fairly "bad" deal, relatively speaking. (Deals like this on Pentax cameras makes me wonder why some people still feel the need to buy disposables.)

And it works fine with my Sigma DG 500 flash.

11-13-2007, 09:54 PM   #9
Inactive Account

G'day mate! I have a Z1-p (panoramic). Beautiful camera. It was Camera of the year 1995, and was a pro camera - no pic modes at all, so it was made for serious shooters. My kit includes an AFT400ftz Pentax35-135mm f3.5-4.5, Rikenon 50mm f1.4 and a Tamron 24-135 3.5-5.6. I also have the original manuals for the camera and flash,all in as-new condition.
Cheers, Indyj
11-13-2007, 10:17 PM   #10
Inactive Account

sorrily in my country i can't find pz-1p in any camera shop. only MZ-6 and MZ-5n are available.