Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-31-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Canadians sending cameras to Eric H for servicing - did you pay duty?

Any fellow canucks who have sent film bodies to Eric for servicing - did you get charged duty when Eric shipped it back to you? How do you insure it without it appearing like you're selling it to him?

Thanks for any advice and/or stories of how it worked for you.

03-31-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

There is no guarantee but so far I've never had an issue and have sent a number of cameras to him. I mark the package as "Camera being sent for servicing" and ship to his company and not to his name. He includes an invoice for work done inside the top of the package.
03-31-2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks smc - appreciate it.

turns out that cheap LX I snagged the other day does indeed have a slight case of the dreaded sticky mirror - so off to Eric it will go.
03-31-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes, mine had the same and Eric fixed it. Should be good for the next 20 years when you get it back!

03-31-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I didn't get hit, but I was sure to make note on the customs declaration that it was being sent for repair. Eric made the same note on the way back, I believe.
03-31-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Duty is paid by the importer for goods purchased from abroad. No purchase, no duty. No import, no duty.

Steve

P.S. Cameras pass duty free from Canada to the U.S....not sure about the other way around...
03-31-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
Any fellow canucks who have sent film bodies to Eric for servicing - did you get charged duty when Eric shipped it back to you? How do you insure it without it appearing like you're selling it to him?

Thanks for any advice and/or stories of how it worked for you.
I send my items to Eric via Expedited Parcel which has a tracking number. I mark the value as zero and indicate it is camera items to be serviced. I have never paid any duty on anything Eric has sent back, he usually marks down the value as under $50.00.

Phil

04-01-2011, 04:33 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How ever you send the item out of the country, record on the shipping papers the serial number. That is sufficient to ensure no in kind duty as you have traceability to country of origin. BUT be careful how Eric returns it to you. US parcel post is best because even if there is no duty, many couriers, UPS for certain will charge a brokerage fee even if there is no actual duty to be paid
04-01-2011, 04:43 AM   #9
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
How ever you send the item out of the country, record on the shipping papers the serial number. That is sufficient to ensure no in kind duty as you have traceability to country of origin. BUT be careful how Eric returns it to you. US parcel post is best because even if there is no duty, many couriers, UPS for certain will charge a brokerage fee even if there is no actual duty to be paid
Agreed. Both Canada Post and the USPS have undeserved reputations regarding service. I use them both frequently, without problems. A bit slower sometimes but if a day or so is really all that important ...
04-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

UPS for certain will charge a brokerage fee even if there is no actual duty to be paid
YES!!! UPS will charge for customs brokerage. It is part of their business model. It is much better to use the postal system both ways.

Steve
04-01-2011, 07:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

+1 on usps and ccanada post. When i buy from abroad i now only do so if it ships usps.
the couriers are nasty on the brokerage. I deal with couriers when purchasing for work, but i have my own broker for that so have it referred to them and avoid the courier charges
04-01-2011, 07:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
+1 on usps and ccanada post. When i buy from abroad i now only do so if it ships usps.
Agreed. I've had a lot of success using USPS/Canada Post when shipping lenses from the US to Canada. No issues, no extra fees. Plus, it's generally pretty quick in terms of shipping time and the cost is pretty reasonable.
04-01-2011, 07:46 AM   #13
Site Supporter

That is because UPS are money grubbing ass-holes. They should be sued for collecting duty on camera gear from Canada to the U.S. and vice versa because there are supposed to be none. That means they are shaking people down.
04-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I send my items to Eric via Expedited Parcel which has a tracking number. I mark the value as zero and indicate it is camera items to be serviced. I have never paid any duty on anything Eric has sent back, he usually marks down the value as under $50.00.

Phil
If you mark the value as zero and it gets lost, how do you make a claim?

Also, if Eric marks the value as $50 or somesuch, then that's all you'd get for insurance if it's lost on the way back, right?
04-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #15
Veteran Member

If you send it with an export certificate for service and it is returned with that you should be able to insure for value of the unit AFAIK