Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Just bought an MZ-S!

Ever since sending in my K-r for repair (faulty e-dial) I've been going through camera withdrawal so I've been routinely browsing craigslist and ebay for used lenses to use when I get it back. Just by chance I found a used MZ-S at a local store for $270, pretty much mint condition with the BG-10 battery grip. Considering the prices these things go for on ebay I figured I couldn't pass this up, and they even took $40 off that price! Initially I was thinking of just selling it to get a tamron 17-50 f2.8, but after running half a roll through it and playing around with it I think I'll probably keep it. It just feels so damn nice! Not much experience shooting film, but it is getting me excited about trying it out more.

I just love how easy it is to change from Av, Tv and P modes and all the controls are so logically placed that I can make any changes without taking my eye off the viewfinder. I'm a little worried I'm not going to feel quite the same when I get my K-r back after handling this beauty. Anyone else have experience with the MZ-S?

04-04-2011, 08:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm jealous!
04-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #3

That's a great price. I really like the MZ-S that I bought recently... mint, but at a higher price than you paid.

Handling, size, usage, are all wonderful. I love the quiet little hiss made by the shutter and motor when you trigger the shot. Data imprinting on the roll edge is very nice.

As you say, the MZ-S makes it very logical and easy to change exposure mode: Tv by moving dial; Av by moving lens aperture ring; Manual by moving both. Hit Green button to reset back to automatic exposure mode. That is a very similar design philosophy to the 645N, even if the buttons look different.

One useful feature is the ability Mid Roll Change" before the end of the roll. You have to set it up in menu setting [F12]:[3] "Leaves out the film leader and enables MRC frame advance". Write down the frame number on your film canister. When you reload: With the back open, press the "green button" (exposure mode) while turning the dial to set the frame number.
04-04-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have owned a MZ-S for almost 10 years, and until last december when I got my K-7 is was my favorite camera to go shooting. ANd ergonomically, I do prefere it above the K-7, and I even think the AF is a bit better. Even though I used it it mostly with M lenses. I will take it in june for a short trip to paris with 3 prime M lenses instead of the K-7. It is just a joy to use

04-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Sweet, congrats, Donutman. Those are something special.
04-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MetaD Quote
One useful feature is the ability Mid Roll Change" before the end of the roll. You have to set it up in menu setting [F12]:[3] "Leaves out the film leader and enables MRC frame advance". Write down the frame number on your film canister. When you reload: With the back open, press the "green button" (exposure mode) while turning the dial to set the frame number.
Yeah, I actually just used this the other day. I noticed some condensation in the battery grip release button after doing some test shots outside. I didn't know if it was safe to remove it mid-roll. It's a really nice feature! I think I've read through the whole manual already. Seems pretty simple, just the pentax function numbers are hard to remember.

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
I have owned a MZ-S for almost 10 years, and until last december when I got my K-7 is was my favorite camera to go shooting. ANd ergonomically, I do prefere it above the K-7, and I even think the AF is a bit better
The ergonomics are definitely superior to my K-r as well, and it just feels way more solidly built. Wish they made a battery grip for the K-r...
04-04-2011, 11:14 PM   #7

Original Poster
Also, the only lens I have right now that has full frame coverage is the Tamron 70-300 Di LD Macro. Tried the DA 18-55 kit lens on it and it vignettes noticeably below 24 mm.

Macario, what primes are you using with the MZ-S? Looks like I'm gonna need to pick up some new lenses to do this camera justice.

04-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
Pentaxian

mostly M 50 1.4 (95% of the photo's are taken with this lens on the MZ-S)
and I combine it from time to time with a M 20 F4 and M 135 F2.5
04-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks Macario. I just picked up an SMC Pentax-F 35-70mm f3.5-4.5 for $35, so I'll play with that for a bit. It's got some pretty good reviews for a bargain lens. Still looking out for a 50 1.4 or 1.7.