Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #1

MX Halfcase

Does anyone make halfcases for the Pentax MX? Are there any cameras that use the same body dimensions as the MX? Old halfcases seem to be non-existant and I'd like a new leather one to spiff up and muffle my MX any suggestions?

04-04-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You know, I think someone may have come up with one, can't recall who.

The MX isn't quite the same fit as any other model, to my knowledge. but they did make 'neverready' cases for them. One option might be to take the bottom of one of those to a good cobbler and have them copy it in some nice leather. (I'm not sure, but I think the originals are naugahide: a lot of such cases from the time have lost their surfaces by now. )
04-04-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I don't know if any of the boutique makers offer a Pentax MX half case.
A far less expensive option would be to use the bottom half of an eveready case.

The vinyl used in the original Pentax eveready case hasn't held up well;
every one I have seen in recent years is dry and cracked.

There's an eBay seller in Korea making excellent reproductions of the original Pentax vinyl case.
The price is quite reasonable; around $25.00 shipping included.

Also on eBay for the same price shipped Pacific Rim Camera can sell you an aftermarket eveready case to fit.

Chris
04-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

A post today on Rangefinder Forum contends that the first-generation
Zhou half-case for the Bessa R rangefinder camera will fit the Pentax MX.
I have never owned the Zhou half-case and so cannot confirm this.

However I do own the original CV Bessa R eveready case (vinyl).
The case bottom physically fits the MX but partially blocks the strap lugs.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-04-2011 at 06:39 PM.
04-04-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
A post today on Rangefinder Forum contends that the first-generation
Zhou half-case for the Bessa R rangefinder camera will fit the Pentax MX.
I have never owned the Zhou half-case and so cannot confirm this.

However I do own the original CV Bessa R eveready case (vinyl).
The case bottom physically fits the MX but partially blocks the strap lugs.

Chris
If Zhou makes a case that fits the MX, it is very much worth the money! I have his case for the Canon P and could not be more pleased with it.

http://stores.ebay.com/Zhou-Camera-Case/Mr-Zhou-Camera-Case-line-/_i.html?_f...=p4634.c0.m322

Steve
06-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #6

Sejun Kim of JNK Handworks in Korea makes a half case for the MX. (jnk-handworks.com)

They're not cheap. The basic case (w/o strap) is around $150. However, the quality is very high.

I have one of his cases for my Contax S2. The workmanship is first rate.
06-29-2011, 05:29 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Byrd-2020 Quote
Sejun Kim of JNK Handworks in Korea makes a half case for the MX. (jnk-handworks.com)

They're not cheap. The basic case (w/o strap) is around $150. However, the quality is very high.

I have one of his cases for my Contax S2. The workmanship is first rate.
I checked out his site and wow! quality stuff right there. one of his cases for my bessa would be really nice to have!
01-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #8

Found some...

I don't know if this thread is dead now, but there are nice leather half cases for the mx for sale on ebay for around £40 in a choice of four colours.
Was thinking of buying one in Ancient Brown.
Genuine real leather bag case cover for Pentax MX camera handmade article | eBay

01-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #9

Bettymegs, thanks for the info! I just placed an order for a black one. A generous relative recently gave me an MX in original case, but the case was disintegrating and shedding black flakes all over the camera:P Have you gotten yours?
01-26-2013, 02:40 AM   #10

Not yet - I still can't decide about the colour, I'm starting to warm to the red one now!
Glad I could help you out, I just saw them and thought it was a rare thing to see, handmade as well.
01-26-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bettymegs Quote
handmade as well.
I think in this case that handmade means that the leather was cut by hand using a machine (probably a press with a cutting die) and that the stitching was done by hand using a machine, in much the same way that a quality leather boot is made. Not too many things are made using a knife, awl, needle, and thread anymore. The other items from this seller are obviously die-cut.

Steve
01-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #12

I have to agree with Steve. My case was shipped within a few hours from the ordering, so the seller must have it pre-made in stock. OTOH I wasn't expecting it to be truly 'handmade' judging from the price. Plus, I'm amazed by the fact that someone actually mass-produces a case specific for MX Have been looking for a half case like this for my older Olympus PEN micro 3/4 with no luck.

Last edited by Taki; 01-26-2013 at 05:07 PM.
01-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #13

Sorry, double post...
01-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think in this case that handmade means that the leather was cut by hand using a machine (probably a press with a cutting die) and that the stitching was done by hand using a machine, in much the same way that a quality leather boot is made. Not too many things are made using a knife, awl, needle, and thread anymore. The other items from this seller are obviously die-cut.
Steve
I used to make "hand brazed" custom bicycle frames. (but I actually used a torch...)
01-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
I used to make "hand brazed" custom bicycle frames. (but I actually used a torch...)
Wuss...