Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
Forum Member

Almost Set To Start Shooting my Collection

I'm rolling (no pun intended) with getting ready to start testing some cameras I inherited.

A few random questions...

1. Batteries: I have some AG13/357A 1.55V batteries on hand. They are alkaline and fit and work in my LX, MX and ME Supers. The dead ones I took out are MS 76 Silver Oxide. Since they work, are the alkaline ones I had on hand acceptable/recommended?
  2. Film: For testing I was thinking about getting some Kodak Ektar 100 for $4.49 USD and free shipping from Amazon. Should I consider some 400 speed film for testing and starting out, or is the 100 a good choice? I am initially planning to shoot landscape/cityscape. But I may eventually want to try out some indoor and people shots, maybe with flashes (I need to figure out what I have from the collection and what works with what I have). I think there is a Vivitar 283, maybe something Pentax. So anyway... If I do shoot and test, I am interested in obtaining quality images, should I take some shots I want to keep for more than just a test. The $4.49 is an acceptable price, give or take a bit.
  3. Processing: Has anyone used MPIX online for film processing? I've used them for digital, but not film. Ideally, I would like a place that charges for developing, makes available viewing online, then I choose which to order prints or on CD/DVD. MPIX does this, for $0.19 per image, The images are scanned at 6.39MB in JPEG format. The cost to order a disc seems reasonable: Mpix.com - DVD Archives

04-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

As with most photos, quality of image rests heavily on the lens and not the camera body.
The camera body differences are more of like conveniences for the photographer.
As an example, even if you have a top line DSLR body but the lens you attach to it is crap, then your images will look like crap.
With the right lens and exposure (camera) settings, you will be able to get good photos.
Even the Pentax 110 cameras produce beautiful photos even with it's "instamatic" 110 film format.
Good luck on you endeavor, I hope you do get great photos.
As a rejoinder, B&W is the usual choice nowadays for film since you can process it yourself and you can "control" the development or exposure much like doing post processing in Photoshop.
If you just have the film processed by a lab, they will process it according to their settings..so if their settings are bad, then that is how the photos will turn out too.
04-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am shooting the new kodak Portra 400 and have to say this is the most amazing negative film ever. Fuji is toast.

Ektar 100 is very good for outdoor shots and can be pushed to 400 or even 800. I use it as well.

Either is fine, but for people shots I go with Portra. This guy is an example:

Jonathan Canlas Photography: KODAK Portra 400 - Miami South Beach FL - Pushed to 3200

For processing and prints I suggest Dwayne's. I have not tried MPIX. There's also Blue Moon.

QuoteOriginally posted by myfotoguy Quote
I'm rolling (no pun intended) with getting ready to start testing some cameras I inherited.

A few random questions...

1. Batteries: I have some AG13/357A 1.55V batteries on hand. They are alkaline and fit and work in my LX, MX and ME Supers. The dead ones I took out are MS 76 Silver Oxide. Since they work, are the alkaline ones I had on hand acceptable/recommended?
  2. Film: For testing I was thinking about getting some Kodak Ektar 100 for $4.49 USD and free shipping from Amazon. Should I consider some 400 speed film for testing and starting out, or is the 100 a good choice? I am initially planning to shoot landscape/cityscape. But I may eventually want to try out some indoor and people shots, maybe with flashes (I need to figure out what I have from the collection and what works with what I have). I think there is a Vivitar 283, maybe something Pentax. So anyway... If I do shoot and test, I am interested in obtaining quality images, should I take some shots I want to keep for more than just a test. The $4.49 is an acceptable price, give or take a bit.
  3. Processing: Has anyone used MPIX online for film processing? I've used them for digital, but not film. Ideally, I would like a place that charges for developing, makes available viewing online, then I choose which to order prints or on CD/DVD. MPIX does this, for $0.19 per image, The images are scanned at 6.39MB in JPEG format. The cost to order a disc seems reasonable: Mpix.com - DVD Archives