Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #136
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
FWIW the new Fuji thingy is a rangefinder
no it isn't. it just has a body style similar to the typical rangefinder style.

04-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #137
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Petri Color 35 accepts 40.5mm filters.

Karen Nakamura's photoethnography.com Petri Color 35 page

It's the camera the Rollei 35 should have been.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-17-2011 at 10:34 AM.
04-17-2011, 10:08 AM   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
no it isn't. it just has a body style similar to the typical rangefinder style.
you're right, sorry about that
04-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #139
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The Petri Color 35 accepts 40.5mm filters.

Karen Nakamura's photoethnography.com Petri Color 35 page

It's the camera the Rollei 35 should have been.

Chris
love, love, love the color35. great little camera, and the petri lenses were far better than most people give them credit for being. its a shame that the color35 gets overshadowed by the rollei because in all honesty, the rollei is a joke in the actual serious use department compared to the color35. Petri really hit a home run with the color35, and if you can find one in good shape they are really fun cameras. the simple 7s is also a good rangefinder, a little big and it has that typical Petri 'clunkiness' especially in the film advance lever, but it has a great lens. the rangefinder could have been better, but it was a Petri! fun cameras they are. I have a soft spot for Petri's.

04-17-2011, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #140

Photos: Albums
Your question has been answered so I will offer my opinion on ‘which’ rangefinder. If you are looking for a 35mm rangefinder to experiment/learn with and not spend more than $25 check out a GAF MEMO35 EE made by and same as Chinon 35EE. Have accurate exposure and half the size of the Yashica Electro 35 (my favorite). GAF MEMO is very easy to operate; pics are sharp, manufactured during the late 70’s early 80’s. This rangefinder is inconspicuous, great for street photography.

You could also shoot a med format 120-film rangefinder. For an old 1950’s folder the Zeiss Ikonta series would be good choice. Want something new check out a Fuji GF 670, at B&H for $1,664.00.

Just remember there is no ‘wrong’ camera and the ‘best’ camera is defined by the owner.
04-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #141

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaufeetime Quote
You could also shoot a med format 120-film rangefinder. For an old 1950’s folder the Zeiss Ikonta series would be good choice. Want something new check out a Fuji GF 670, at B&H for $1,664.00.

Just remember there is no ‘wrong’ camera and the ‘best’ camera is defined by the owner.
There's also a GF670W coming soon. It will have a wider lens than the GF670.

There are no wrong cameras. For me, it's hard to justify another 35mm. I'd rather get a MF rangefinder.
04-17-2011, 08:49 PM   #142
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Want something new check out a Fuji GF 670
aka Voigtländer Bessa III. The Fuji version is inexplicably several hundred dollars less money. Availability may be an issue. Rumor has it that production facilities were damaged in the Japan earthquake.

Steve

04-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #143
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Woohoo! Got my Vivitar 24 today!
It also came with a Metraphot which is smaller then the Vivitar 24.
I got lucky 'coz the Vivitar 24 works! I tested with regular LR44 just to see if the meter needle would move and it did! I moved to the right with changing light condition..now I just need the right battery for it to get the right exposure metering.
The Metraphot I really know nothing about except from what I googled and seems like it doesn't work..or I just don't know what I'm doing!
Next thing to get is the Rangefinder itself, if only the right one comes up and I can bid on it.
I have also seen on the net someone who tried to repair the Metraphot.
I'll try to dismantle it and check all the wiring to make sure that it isn't just the wiring.
Thanks again Steve for that link to Hin's post about this Vivitar 24!
04-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #144
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Your question has been answered so I will offer my opinion on ‘which’ rangefinder. If you are looking for a 35mm rangefinder to experiment/learn with and not spend more than $25 check out a GAF MEMO35 EE made by and same as Chinon 35EE. Have accurate exposure and half the size of the Yashica Electro 35 (my favorite). GAF MEMO is very easy to operate; pics are sharp, manufactured during the late 70’s early 80’s. This rangefinder is inconspicuous, great for street photography.

I saw on eBay that there is a GAF memo and a Chinon 35EE but both are sold "as-is". They are supposed to be the same as the Konica C35.
I'm thinking if I spend money on something that doesn't work (even if cheap), then won't it be better just to save and spend that money as additional budget for something that works that I really want.
What you said about there is no wrong camera is right since I myself am leaning more towards the compact ones.
I think I would use it more if I can easily fit it in my pocket or is inconspicuous.
I might also use this for street shooting.
04-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #145
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are plenty of non-working rangefinder cameras out there, many on eBay.
It's no cheaper to get them repaired than SLRs; sometimes it costs even more.
IMO it's worth spending more for one that has been serviced, with a warranty.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-18-2011 at 06:59 PM.
04-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #146
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I tested with regular LR44 just to see if the meter needle would move and it did! I moved to the right with changing light condition..now I just need the right battery for it to get the right exposure metering.
Mine meters just fine with a 1.5v silver cell. Try the meter first against a known good meter before agonizing over the batteries.

Steve
04-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #147
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That is so true.

Steve
04-19-2011, 07:51 AM   #148
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Mine meters just fine with a 1.5v silver cell. Try the meter first against a known good meter before agonizing over the batteries.

Steve
Thanks for this since I am now really agonizing over the batteries and reading about how to DIY battery adapters and such.
It's just that I thought that a higher voltage might damage them.
Thanks again.
04-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #149
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There are plenty of non-working rangefinder cameras out there, many on eBay.
IMO it's worth spending more for one that has been serviced, with a warranty.

Chris
Being the reason why I plan to get a working one and making sure that the seller have tested that it actually works.
I'm shying away from those sellers that say that they have no knowledge of what battery it uses or they don't hve a battery being the reason why they can't test it further.
Thanks Chris!
04-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #150
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is so true.

Steve
And sad.