Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #151
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Thanks for this since I am now really agonizing over the batteries and reading about how to DIY battery adapters and such.
It's just that I thought that a higher voltage might damage them.
Thanks again.
The 1.5 silver cell might work at first, but over time the voltage can drop giving you a bad exposure. An easy and inexpensive alternative is 675 hearing aid batteries. Depending on your camera just use an o-ring and some tinfoil to get a good contact. They are almost the same as the expensive Wein cells, and can be found in almost any pharmacy or radioshack. The only downside is they don't last that long, and if you aren't using the camera for a while I would take them out so they don't corrode the battery contacts.

04-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #152
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ToGo Quote
An easy and inexpensive alternative is 675 hearing aid batteries. Depending on your camera just use an o-ring and some tinfoil to get a good contact. They are almost the same as the expensive Wein cells, and can be found in almost any pharmacy or radioshack. The only downside is they don't last that long, and if you aren't using the camera for a while I would take them out so they don't corrode the battery contacts.
Thanks for this.
I do appreciate all the inputs!
I finally pulled the trigger on an Olympus 35RC!
Vintage Collectible Olympus 35RC Rangefinder Camera | eBay
Seller said light meter works and it is in overall great condition or my money back.
I guess I will be getting this in the mail around next week or the earliest will be this Saturday.
Woohooo!
I will update about the real condition of the item.
By the way, the Metraphot light meter doesn't seem to work and I have found some sort of a fix on the net, though I really don't need this meter to be working since I already have the Vivitar 24.
It would still be cool to have this thing working though just for the heck of it!
If I can buy a cheap Konica C35, then I might just get that as well..more toys!
04-20-2011, 10:57 AM   #153
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it is a very good capable camera.
take some nice pics with it
04-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #154

That is a good choice (Oly 35RC) also. I have three Yashica Rangefinders all from Ebay. The best I have is an Electro GS; I gave $12 for it, and a CLA was another $50. Very nice. I have a Yashica Guy battery adapter for the PX28A battery. The MG-1 models (late 1970's) aren't as sharp, etc. and have to decided to keep them as shelf decoraters, but no complaints with the GS.

04-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #155
Veteran Member

BTW, I just did a little reckoning, and I have owned 5 of the Olympus clamshell cameras. Of course, only the two XAs were actually rangefinder cameras.
04-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #156

I love my Yashica Electro 35s. I'm also now the proud owner of a Yashica Electro kit with everything from the mini tripod to the Yashica branded lens filters.
Attached Images

04-25-2011, 07:10 PM   #157
Veteran Member

TWO Electros?
And all those accessories?
Now that's just greedy.
Do you keep one with B&W and one with Colour? Or is it a Negs/Slides scenario?

04-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #158

QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
TWO Electros?
And all those accessories?
Now that's just greedy.
Do you keep one with B&W and one with Colour? Or is it a Negs/Slides scenario?
I feel terrible about it Actually, I have three, but one has oily aperture blades and turned into parts. I keep color in one and c41 B&w in the other.
04-26-2011, 06:12 AM   #159

Rangefinder

You should have got the Rollei 35S - "the poor man's Leica". The 40 mm f/2.8 Sonnar is phenomenal - as good as any Leica standard lens. See the Rollei 35 pool images in flickr if you have any doubts.
04-26-2011, 06:57 AM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by psur45 Quote
You should have got the Rollei 35S - "the poor man's Leica". The 40 mm f/2.8 Sonnar is phenomenal - as good as any Leica standard lens. See the Rollei 35 pool images in flickr if you have any doubts.
Not really a rangefinder camera, though, is it?
04-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #161
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Rollei 35's do have a fine lens, but the cameras themselves are an ergonomic nightmare.
No control is where it should be. In this respect they are the antithesis of a classic Pentax.

Chris
04-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #162
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The Rollei 35's do have a fine lens, but the cameras themselves are an ergonomic nightmare.
No control is where it should be. In this respect they are the antithesis of a classic Pentax.

Chris
Yeah, I don't also like the look of the Rollei.
I am, I guess, an artist first and when I want a rangefinder camera, I want them to look like rangefinder cameras.
No offense meant on the performance of the Rollei though.
It's more of a personal taste for me. Maybe I have weird tastes..
I particularly like the old ones that look very industrial.
04-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #163
Veteran Member

Original Poster
MY Oly 35RC arrived today and I was excited in opening up the package and testing first if everything works...
I inserted an LR44 for testing since it is the one that I have for the moment.
..so, viewfinder looks bright and clean
..manual setting works
.."A" setting works, which means, light meter works
..timer lever works
..body and lens looks ok but became better (like new) once I cleaned it!
I was stoked..yeeyyyy, I got a working Rangefinder.
Once I opened the film bay door to look on condition inside, I was happy too since it was clean, only to find out when I was to close the film door again that something was off.
The film door didn't seem to line up, so after a bit of inspecting why..
..I find out that the top hinge was broken due to rust!
Big..big..big..disappointment!
This was listed as being in great condition with no marks (there was an etching at bottom plate), scratches (a few, which was normal), scrapes (same as scratches - forgivable), and no dents (there was a very small one almost unnoticeable until further inspection at side corner).
All of the other ones I was almost ready to forgive and forgo, but I guess the broken hinge is unacceptable.
I guess I will be returning this to the seller and have to be patient again and look for a good one.
Bummer!
..to think I even bought an old style compact flash to go with this set-up..
04-26-2011, 05:48 PM   #164
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruspeed Quote
I love my Yashica Electro 35s. I'm also now the proud owner of a Yashica Electro kit with everything from the mini tripod to the Yashica branded lens filters.
Nice collection!
Reminds me of my Canon S3 IS before with the "Lenmate" lens barrel attachment adapter for me to be able to fit a Raynox DCR-730 wide angle lens.
I guess, I will be on the hunt again..
04-26-2011, 06:38 PM   #165

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Nice collection!
Reminds me of my Canon S3 IS before with the "Lenmate" lens barrel attachment adapter for me to be able to fit a Raynox DCR-730 wide angle lens.
I guess, I will be on the hunt again..
Oh man, I refuse to be held responsible for that.