Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #91
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Olympus 35 RC here. Not the fastest lens at 2.8 but super-sharp in a very flexible camera. I've also used it with a little flash for excellent results.

Repairs: 4 Sending a Repair

04-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #92

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I always keep a 35mm camera in my coat pocket.
I carry my Pentax SLR in a coat pocket...

Thanks for mentioning the Contax T. If you truly can get one for 200, why not?

It all depends on budget.

Lots of good options already mentioned at 50-150.

At around 500-800 (plus lens), the Bessa would be my pick.

Above 1000 or so, the Ikon. Or a MediumFormat rangefinder (not pocketable).

Anything more and we are talking Leica prices, which the original poster (and myself) can't afford. Especially if one is already invested in SLRs.

No used Leica older model for me for reasons mentioned here earlier. Plus they are a real nuisance to load.
04-11-2011, 06:19 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am using a Varta V76PX battery in the Vivitar 24.

Steve
Thanks Steve!
I really hope that this is only what it needs!
04-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The Vivitar 24 is a neat little CdS meter suitable for shoe mount use or handheld.
I have two. The one I have used reads accurately with 44/76/357 1.5V silver cell. Chris
Chris, can you expound on this or tell me exactly what brands these go by?
I googled and came up with sorts of other things.

04-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #95
pbo
Veteran Member

If you're talking about the mercury, mushroom-shaped battery replacements, I use wein zinc-air cells(PX625) in my sekonic luna-pro, they work quite well. They cost ~6-7 dollars a piece (that's including shipping), the only quirk with them is that you need to take off the sticker off from the battery and let it "breathe" for like half an hour before using.
04-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #96
Pentaxian

Duracell, Eveready, Varta and many others manufacture these small button cells.
From the mid-1970's until the AF era this was the most common camera battery.

Chris
04-11-2011, 06:57 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Another alternative, auto exposure only, is the small Konica C-35

I like the size of the Konica C35!
This adds more to my confusion..
Ok, I'm considering now pricewise and size:
Yashica Electro 35 GSN because of looks and ease of battery procurement.
Olympus XA for size
Konica C35 for size too! (Battery an issue here too, I guess? )
04-11-2011, 09:00 PM   #98
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Olympus 35 RC here.
Another good option...

Steve

04-12-2011, 07:25 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Another good option... Olympus 35 RC

Steve
How large are these?
04-12-2011, 07:37 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, I found a side by side comparison with an XA and it really looks promising.

Olympus 35 RC vs. XA size | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks again Steve for adding another to my list..
04-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #101
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I like the size of the Konica C35!
This adds more to my confusion..
Ok, I'm considering now pricewise and size:
Yashica Electro 35 GSN because of looks and ease of battery procurement.
Olympus XA for size
Konica C35 for size too! (Battery an issue here too, I guess? )
I've used them all:

Konica C35 IIRC was pretty much all auto and has only 3 or 4 shutter speeds. Small, but limited and the meter was not always accurate. I would not pay very much for one of these and use it as an experimental rather than critical shot camera in good light.

The Yashica Electro GSN is a large RF and a brick of construction quality. It has an excellent lens and very good controls but is not all manual. That's its main limitation. I would not hesitate to use one and wish my mother still had hers (and her Rollei 35s which was her travel and "purse" camera because the Yashica is actually quite large). There are still shots from this in my family photo album at f/1.7 that are better than any DSLR shot from back then, the lens was that good and fast.

I picked up an Oly XA when my Nikon got stolen in Africa. Excellent camera, but it is a modern plastic thing. Very good controls but kind of finicky with a learning curve. I'd use one again, but I'd have to run 2 rolls through it to dial in the handling. For some strange reason, I never kept mine. Still trying to figure out why. Probably had something to do with a girlfriend

The Oly 35RC is my current RF gem. It's A priority (you set the shutter speed) but it handles a flash very well and it's all-manual capacity is its real strength. The lens is stellar but modestly slower than the Yashica at 2.8, but no arguments about its sharpness across the frame. Very easy to focus but the small RF superimposition takes a roll of practice. The 43.5mm filter size is near-impossible to find filters for, but there is a decent screw-in rubber lens hood available. You can also step up a 43.5 to 46 adapters and there's no vignetting. I say all this because you really need a yellow filter for B&W film like T-Max. I have Portra 160NC in my Oly 35 RC because I cannot filter effectively with this little camera. It's a colour camera for me and that's just fine. I keep my Minolta SLR (X-500) loaded with B&W.

All these RF's could use a hood in bright backlit situations. This and the general lack of EV compensation makes metering tough in many situations. This is the bane of AE RF's, these unhooded, simple light meters. They struggle in complex scenes unless you zone a bit and override. I'm looking to try out the new Portra 400 in 135 in my Oly precisely because the latitude of that film looks to help out here a lot. The stuff is fantastic in my MF film camera.

The reason to get an RF besides compactness is the lens is almost always excellent for its uncompromising, single function design (I think the XA may be a laggard here which is why I got rid of mine and got a "real" SLR again). A little known function of an RF is in decent light, with a larger (5.6) apertures, they are excellent at panning because there's no mirror blackout and they are far easier to hold on the swing than an SLR. Find an edge, focus, rely on DOF, pan and press. A great lens at the proper "normal" FL makes a huge difference.

The other camera I'd be interested in is the Canonet GL III. That's definitely another good RF, right up there with the Oly 35 RC.

The battery issue is solvable for all of them. Google is your friend. Good luck.

Last edited by Aristophanes; 04-12-2011 at 11:19 AM.
04-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #102
Banned

not sure if its been mentioned (maybe I missed it) but for a really compact option nothing really beats the original Petri color35. only just slightly larger than the venerable rollei 35, but without the plain dumb control layout of the rollei. its not an actual rangefinder, but a scale-focus camera, but for compact, it doesn’t really get any smaller. full 35mm frame, logical controls, excellent lens with built in (match needle) light meter (displayed in the viewfinder). excellent, tiny camera. very pocketable in my opinion and very easy to use. as wells just plain fun.
04-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #103
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Olympus 35 RC here. Not the fastest lens at 2.8 but super-sharp in a very flexible camera. I've also used it with a little flash for excellent results.

Repairs: 4 Sending a Repair
I have had good results with it too, my fav is the canonet 28, with the 35RC coming in second.
04-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #104
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm reading much about the Oly 35 RC as of now.
Seem to be a very good RF camera with the small size a plus.
I am considering it more now than the XA...seems I don't really like the "Instamatic" look.
I might still change my mind once I read a bit more as I have read about the Yashica "thump" wherein if you wind it and it doesn't produce that particular thump during the winding, then the camera needs to be serviced. It shouldn't actually produce a smooth wind? I don't know if this is true or not but I read it I think from one of the sellers off ekkbay.
04-12-2011, 03:01 PM   #105
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
It shouldn't actually produce a smooth wind? I don't know if this is true or not but I read it I think from one of the sellers off ekkbay.
Yashica winding is very very smooth, actually, I was a bit skeptical sometimes whether I managed to load the film correctly because it was so smooth (I did load correctly, the rewind handle was rotating when advancing film). The camera thumps in the beginning of the winding action, and the thump doesn't really affect anything much - it's pretty quiet.