Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2011, 03:09 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
Yashica winding is very very smooth, actually, I was a bit skeptical sometimes whether I managed to load the film correctly because it was so smooth (I did load correctly, the rewind handle was rotating when advancing film). The camera thumps in the beginning of the winding action, and the thump doesn't really affect anything much - it's pretty quiet.
Yeah, seller mentioned that it had something to do with the seals if I recall right.
If it doesn't produce a thump, then one of the inside seals had gone bad, I dunno how true this is.

04-12-2011, 03:24 PM   #107
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
If it doesn't produce a thump, then one of the inside seals had gone bad, I dunno how true this is.
That issue is called "pad of death".
04-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
That issue is called "pad of death".
Oh yeah, now I recall what it is!
So, does this occur often?
How does one go about buying a Yashica RF with this being ok?
Any tips?
04-12-2011, 04:50 PM   #109
Pentaxian

As linked early in the thread by Paul the Compact Rangefinders of the 1970's
pages on Stephen Gandy's Cameraquest website have a wealth of information
on most of the cameras already mentioned here, plus many more.

Another great resource is Rangefinder Forum: http://www.rangefinderforum.com

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-12-2011 at 06:19 PM.
04-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
As linked early in the thread by Paul the Compact Rangefinders of the 1970's
pages on Stephen Gandy's Cameraquest website have a wealth of information
on most of the cameras already mentioned here, plus many more.

Another great resource is Rangefinder Forum: http://www.rangefinderforum.com

Chris
I re-read that article today! It should be noted that the prices of most of his "favs" have gone through the roof. I was thinking that an Olympus 35 RD might round out the rangefinder harem nicely. Think again, Steve! No way am I going to pay what the current eBay crop is going for!

Steve
04-13-2011, 03:29 AM   #111
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you also might take a look here:
View Forum - Best of Fixed Lens Cameras Gallery::Manual Focus Lenses
there's some samples from fixed lens range finders

I have done a comparison of the GSN vs Konica Auto S2, I forget where I posted it. Essentially I think the lenses are equal, but the Konica has better material feel, the light meter is in the lens (so you get filter factors built in), has manual exposure capability... The two downsides are that I need 2 stops ISO bias with modern batteries (i.e. I shoot ASA 400 at 100 on the meter) which can be a boon as this expands the upper limit ISO; and that it is a shutter preferred automatic, which I'm not so used to.

But then, I'm sure the contemporary Minoltas and Canons each have their positives... I'd just jump in if I were you, these are cheap enough to try out and learn what you like/don't like.

As I say, the mercury battery thing can be safely bypassed: and there's a benefit as the upper end of the ISO range expands when you bias the meter down.
04-13-2011, 04:42 AM   #112
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I re-read that article today! It should be noted that the prices of most of his "favs" have gone through the roof. I was thinking that an Olympus 35 RD might round out the rangefinder harem nicely. Think again, Steve! No way am I going to pay what the current eBay crop is going for!

Steve
The Oly 35 RD is problematic because they will all leak oil on the shutter blades and require a full rebuild @$$$$. If you are OK with simple cheap auto the Trip 35 is the all-time cult classic RF.
04-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #113
Pentaxian

Used RF camera buying tips

I was bitten by the rangefinder bug many years ago.
Like used SLRs, finding a good used rangefinder camera can be challenging.
I have purchased many RF cameras on eBay. Some were good; many were bad.

Often eBay sellers claim they are unable to check the light meter due to a dead battery etc.
If so chances are the meter does not work. If repairable getting it fixed is never cheap.
Without a working meter do not expect autoexposure or electronic shutter (if so equipped) to function.

At minimum expect bad light seals which must be replaced.
More often than not shutters require cleaning and speeds adjusted.

The rangefinder focusing mechanism may be misaligned and require adjustment.
If the patch is difficult to see often no economical repair is possible.

Most of these older cameras were designed to use 1.3V mercury batteries, now unavailable.
There are various workarounds to this issue.

Good luck!

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-17-2011 at 09:35 AM.
04-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #114
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The Oly 35 RD is problematic because they will all leak oil on the shutter blades and require a full rebuild @$$$$. If you are OK with simple cheap auto the Trip 35 is the all-time cult classic RF.

I had Trip 35 years ago. It was a fairly good camera but I don't recall it having a rangefinder ? Maybe justtoo long ago to remember.

Eric
04-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #115
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by erkie Quote
I had Trip 35 years ago. It was a fairly good camera but I don't recall it having a rangefinder ? Maybe justtoo long ago to remember.

Eric
The Olympus Trip 35 is not a rangefinder. The Contax G and Rollei 35 mentioned earlier in this thread also aren't rangefinders.
04-14-2011, 12:33 AM   #116
Pentaxian

The extremely short base rangefinder on most compacts is not very precise.
Depth of field carries the day.

Zone or scale focus is perfectly fine for models equipped with a 40mm or wider lens.
As a bonus there is no delicate rangefinder to become misaligned or break.

Chris
04-14-2011, 05:49 AM   #117
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I found an XA for a good price at a local camera store, and took it out for some test shots yesterday. After using the XA2 for a while, it was odd to fiddle with the focus at the bottom again, and to have the aperture where the focus is on the XA2. However, I noticed once again how many shots with the rangefinder ended up at infinity, which seems to start effectively at around 20 feet with this finder. Once you get past 12 feet or so, the focus movements on that little tab are minute. As Chris says, depth of field carries the day and, to me, that also means higher ISO is my friend.
04-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #118
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I found an XA for a good price at a local camera store, and took it out for some test shots yesterday. After using the XA2 for a while, it was odd to fiddle with the focus at the bottom again, and to have the aperture where the focus is on the XA2. However, I noticed once again how many shots with the rangefinder ended up at infinity, which seems to start effectively at around 20 feet with this finder. Once you get past 12 feet or so, the focus movements on that little tab are minute. As Chris says, depth of field carries the day and, to me, that also means higher ISO is my friend.

And these cameras are generally used in situations where both the zone focus and higher iso aren't issues in any case. stick it in your pocket and go. if you are chasing amazing landscapes or portraits or anything requiring precise focus and dof you'll likely carry the slr in any case (or a more sophisticated much more expensive RF)
04-14-2011, 06:29 AM   #119
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
And these cameras are generally used in situations where both the zone focus and higher iso aren't issues in any case. stick it in your pocket and go. if you are chasing amazing landscapes or portraits or anything requiring precise focus and dof you'll likely carry the slr in any case (or a more sophisticated much more expensive RF)
Absolutely. Not too many close portraits are taken with a 35mm lens on 135.
04-14-2011, 06:45 AM   #120
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Absolutely. Not too many close portraits are taken with a 35mm lens on 135.
Not complimentary ones in any case