Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #46
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asaru Quote
^Ah, a reverse-Galilean viewfinder. Beyond composition help, I really must wonder what the point of having it there is.
The lenses did not have automatic apertures. It was there, perhaps, as an alternative to viewing through a dim waist-level finder when the aperture is set very small.

A direct viewfinder does have some benefits over a TTL prism-finder when it comes to composition. For me, the primary advantage is a view with unlimited DOF. Like looking through a window vs. looking through a telescope. Viewfinders with bright-lines also allow the photographer to see what is happening outside the frame.

04-09-2011, 05:49 PM   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
^Ah, a reverse-Galilean viewfinder. Beyond composition help, I really must wonder what the point of having it there is.
I believe that would have been referred to as a sport finder. Remember that a waist level finder is reversed and not easy to use when tracking action.
04-09-2011, 06:50 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I believe that would have been referred to as a sport finder. Remember that a waist level finder is reversed and not easy to use when tracking action.
I can believe the tracking bit! Except that the Asahiflex had an unreversed image on the ground glass, in the manual (and a very interesting hold for portrait shots):
Attached Images

04-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I really like the comparison shots Steve!
They are great and give me a least a guide to scale since I have a Super Program.
The size of the XA is really nice but I really don't like the looks.
I know looks is very different from performance but range finder cameras are like gems with all that metal and usual svelte silhouette. They seem "industrial" or "gadgety"..
The FED really looks nice...hmmm..this will give me more headache than just looking for a Pentax SLR...
...keep 'em coming..my head is already spinning so might as well give it a couple more whirls, why stop now, right???
I'm really loving this thread with so many valuable information!

04-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #50
Forum Member

I can believe the tracking bit! Except that the Asahiflex had an unreversed image on the ground glass, in the manual (and a very interesting hold for portrait shots):
The image on the Asahiflex is reversed horizontally - like a mirror. Prism finders on later SLR's corrected this.
04-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nando Quote
The image on the Asahiflex is reversed horizontally - like a mirror. Prism finders on later SLR's corrected this.
Yes, of course... The lens reverses l-r and vertically, and the reflex mirror justifies vertically but not horizontally, whereas the pentaprism will finish the horizontal justification. I should think a little... Thank you.

So in fact the girl is taking a portrait shot at right angles to the way she's standing, and it's upside down as she's looking at it. Amazing!

...But it has nothing to do with rangefinders. Sorry, I'll drop off now.
04-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The meters on both my Lynx (1000 and 5000) are a little flaky. Instead I carry a very compact Vivitar CdS meter that slide onto the accessory shoe if needed. The cool thing is that the Viv meter takes modern batteries! Here is a link to my guest post on Hin's blog regarding the Viv meter:

Hin's Tech Corner: Newest, Most Favorite Gadget: Compact Exposure Meters
It truly is a great little meter and at less than $20, was a lot easier on my pocketbook than a new VCII!

Steve
Awesome find Steve ! Thank you for sharing it with us old school folks

Well here is a couple of shots of my heavy metal kit traveling to Canada with me for a couple of weeks. Forgive the Hotel room lighting provided by my fairly new to me Cactus v5s. By the way both of these rangefinders sync at all speeds with the v5s via their pc sync ports. The yaschica 5000 with 1/1000th sec sync is awesome for hummingbird shots. Completely frozen wings if your flash has a 1/16th power setting. Not too much blur if it only goes to 1/8th. Gottaget em in close to the flashes though.

That praktica in the middle also has a pop up sport finder. you flip up the front of the waist level finder then a little eye piece flips up on the back side. Just look through and you've got it framed.

As to the metering on the 5000 I usually meter off of the sky or the back of my hand. I don't really trust it to average out a scene. I had the 1000 years ago and it metered about the same but you had to give it some time to let the meter settle on its chosen value.

If you notice ALL of these have strap lugs. A very important feature for me as I still have a collection of old metal snake chains with snap shackles for straps.

Photos provided by my Pentax Kx with Isco Gottingen westramat 35 2.8 @ f4

And yes my camera bag is heavy enough to sink a canoe

Eric

Eric

Attached Images

04-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
The FED really looks nice...hmmm..this will give me more headache than just looking for a Pentax SLR...
The FED-2 is nice, in an industrial kind of way. My favorite features are its long rangefinder baseline, the camera's balance and handling, and the viewfinder diopter adjustment. Points are deducted for limited shutter speed range (1/30s - 1/500). Points added for simplicity and ease of film loading. Points also added for consistent frame spacing and nubbly "vulcanite" covering. (No, it ain't vulcanite...more of a resin type of material)

Steve
04-10-2011, 12:12 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Me, too many cameras? Compared to some, I'm a piker, a rank underachiever.

As mentioned, the Olympus XA is small but mighty, what pros carried in their pockets on vacation.
You've already researched the Yashica GSN; with a 4LR44 battery, it needs a tube & spring rig.
Cheapest option is likely an Argus C3 (The Brick!) with a handheld light meter. More lenses too!
I really like the Petri 7s. No battery needed, although it's thus not the best for real low light.

Others mentioned are all quite good. Be careful -- it's hard to stop with just one!
04-10-2011, 07:27 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
The size of the XA is really nice but I really don't like the looks.
IMO the original Contax T is the "holy grail" of modern pocket 35's.

It is similar in size to the XA but a little heavier.
The titanium body shell weighs more than plastic.

It is superior to the XA in nearly every respect.

Prices range from about $200-400 used.

More info and links here: http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Contax_T

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-10-2011 at 08:47 AM.
04-10-2011, 08:14 AM   #56

I have a GSN that I absolutely love. For the battery, it's not really necessary to buy an adapter. I just use a roll of cardboard (the packaging of the battery actually) and a wad of aluminum foil to bridge the gap. Works perfectly and is much easier than looking for a spring that fits correctly.
04-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
IMO the original Contax T is the "holy grail" of modern pocket 35's.

It is similar in size to the XA but a little heavier.
The titanium body shell weighs more than plastic.

It is superior to the XA in nearly every respect.

Prices range from about $200-400 used.

More info and links here: http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Contax_T

Chris
Oh, yes! The Contax T! The wunderkamera I could not afford new and still wish was less money. Thanks Chris for reminding us of this option.

Steve
04-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Expensive is a relative term.
I'm not on the endless DSLR upgrade path.
For me buying one was a slam dunk.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-10-2011 at 10:04 AM.
04-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #59
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Expensive is a relative term.
I'm not on the endless DSLR upgrade path.
For me buying one was a slam dunk.

Chris

I have spent my rangefinder money for this year, but understand your logic completely! The T is definitely a cool camera and one of those where there is little risk of financial loss if it turns out you don't like the camera. Perhaps if/when the XA dies...

Steve

(...wondering if my big hands would easily work the T's focus and aperture controls...frequently fumbles with the XA...)
04-10-2011, 10:14 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Contax T's controls are conventional rings around the lens barrel.
The lens is small, so they're not ideal for those of us with large hands,
but IMO they're not nearly as bad as those tiny levers on the XA.

Chris