Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Me, too many cameras? Compared to some, I'm a piker, a rank underachiever.

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
You've already researched the Yashica GSN; with a 4LR44 battery, it needs a tube & spring rig.
QuoteOriginally posted by ddsg Quote
I have a GSN that I absolutely love. For the battery, it's not really necessary to buy an adapter. I just use a roll of cardboard (the packaging of the battery actually) and a wad of aluminum foil to bridge the gap. Works perfectly and is much easier than looking for a spring that fits correctly.
I think these would be the easiest so far with the battery issue/compatibility.
The easier to procure the battery, the better!

04-11-2011, 12:37 AM   #77
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
What comparable silver cells did Hin talk about that he used on this gadget (Vivtar 24)?
I am using a Varta V76PX battery in the Vivitar 24.

Steve
04-11-2011, 02:03 AM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Vivitar 24 is a neat little CdS meter suitable for shoe mount use or handheld.
I have two. The one I have used reads accurately with 44/76/357 1.5V silver cell.
Also despite the specs it seems quite directional, behaving more like a spot meter.

Here's a link to the manual at the Butkus site:
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/flashes_meters/vivitar_24_lightmeter/vivitar_24.htm

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-11-2011 at 02:18 AM.
04-11-2011, 02:31 AM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
My 200$ KX nearly bankrupted me, so the 600$ bessa is for no, at least right now)
You often mention that Pentax KX which wound up costing you more than expected.
$200 plus repair costs for one of the best Pentax bodies has left you angry and bitter,
yet spending $600 for a Bessa body is somehow a great deal? Sorry, I don't see it...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-11-2011 at 02:41 AM.
04-11-2011, 05:32 AM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
You often mention that Pentax KX which wound up costing you more than expected.
$200 plus repair costs for one of the best Pentax bodies has left you angry and bitter,
yet spending $600 for a Bessa body is somehow a great deal? Sorry, I don't see it...

Chris
Funny, Chris, but that is exactly the issue I have with the Contax T. My XA and variants are in my pocket or waistpack all the time. It costs $120 (at the LCS) or less to replace them currently. Last year, my XA went flying and died. I was sad to lose a friend, but it was not a financial disaster. My XA2 (OK, not an RF camera) shows up for about $20 in stores. I can't see carrying a little camera which runs more than $500 in the same places.

By the way, the way I carry my MX with VL Ultron 40 (my RF substitute) is in a small waist pack. I would think this would be even better with a RF camera because of the depth.
04-11-2011, 06:31 AM   #81
Veteran Member

for reliability the new bessa is going to be tough to beat at first. no need for expensive CLA that takes months to get done by some of the better techs like the leica, and way more affordable than zeiss. The cheap FSU cams though are a great cheap way to find out if shooting rangefinders suites you before you commit to higher investments
and the lenses will be usable (YMMV - occasionally it takes some work) on more modern cameras
04-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
for reliability the new bessa is going to be tough to beat at first. no need for expensive CLA that takes months to get done by some of the better techs like the leica, and way more affordable than zeiss. The cheap FSU cams though are a great cheap way to find out if shooting rangefinders suites you before you commit to higher investments
and the lenses will be usable (YMMV - occasionally it takes some work) on more modern cameras
The Bessa was high on my list as well.

04-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
The Olympus XA looks a bit like "Instamatic" cameras rather than the typical Rangefinder build (metal).
Don't let the looks deceive you. The camera is robust and, in its day, was known as the pocket camera professional photgraphers carried on a busman's holiday.

[EDIT: Already said farther up the thread by Chris Platt, I think. I posted the response before reading the rest of the entries. I tried to get a good G-III and the hard case and flash for months and finally gave up. I still believe on a bang-for-bucks ($80, absolutely clean and perfect, with plastic box and papers and A-11 Flash) basis my XA is the best value camera I've ever owned]

Last edited by monochrome; 04-11-2011 at 09:46 AM.
04-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #84
Veteran Member

IF you get the right XA they are great little cameras
you want the original XA which is fast aperture, true Rangefinder 6 element lens
the XA1/2/3 are all zone focus variants with lesser lenses.
the rare XA4 is a wider angle model with a zone focus macro 5 element, still not an RF but a cool little camera nonetheless with a 28mm wide angle letting you get in close
Steven Goudy has a nice page on the 2

Olympus XA and XA4

and there is a site dedicated to the XA

The Olympus XA Camera

Flashes are next to useless on them so i wouldn't worry whether it comes with it or not (if you can save a few bucks and lose the flash then do so in other words)
04-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another alternative, auto exposure only, is the small Konica C-35

04-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Another alternative, auto exposure only, is the small Konica C-35

I have a konica EE also small auto exposure, and bright rf too
great daylight cam, not so hot after dark, but it cost $7
04-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always keep a 35mm camera in my coat pocket. The Contax T is not my "daily carry".
Besides being too valuable for that kind of abuse it's a tad too heavy to live in my pocket.
Another truly pocketable camera I own is the terrific Petri Color 35; alas it is heavier still.
For everyday use a plastic camera is a better choice, most often my XA2, XA3 or Minox 35ML.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-12-2011 at 04:43 PM.
04-11-2011, 10:43 AM   #88
Veteran Member

IF you get the right XA they are great little cameras
you want the original XA which is fast aperture, true Rangefinder 6 element lens
the XA1/2/3 are all zone focus variants with lesser lenses.
I own both, and I would not necessarily agree that the XA2 has a "lesser" lens, other than its speed. Pop both of them near infinity focus (which seems to come pretty quick) outdoors and I'm not sure the XA would win. The RF in the XA is a bit fidgety and dim--only a little more useful than zone focus IMHO, but being able to set the aperture is a real plus over its cheaper siblings. An inexpensive XA2 loaded with a modern ISO 200 or 400 film is a handy thing which produces nice photos. It may not be "collectible," though.

Oh, and there is a good deal of metal, still, in an XA2.
04-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FWIW I kept the XA2 and XA3 cameras but gave away my XA.

Chris
04-11-2011, 03:03 PM   #90
Forum Member

for reliability the new bessa is going to be tough to beat at first. no need for expensive CLA that takes months to get done by some of the better techs like the leica,
I have only one Cosina-Voigtlander body, a Bessa-T and it has been a good camera. However, I've found that there are sample variations in Cosina-Voigtlander products. I've purchased four Cosina-Voigtlander lenses new and two of them were not satisfactory for me. One had a stiff focussing ring, which I lived with. One lens had to be sent back for a replacement under warranty because it back-focussed. I have a 75mm Heliar that gives sharp results wide-open. A friend of mine has the exact same lens and his gives slightly but noticeably softer images.

When it comes to Leica repairs, I've used Sherry Krauter, Youxin Ye, and Kindermann. Turn-around time have never been more than three weeks. The long turn-around time by DAG is not the norm. That said, DAG is booked solid for months on end for a reason - he has a stellar reputation.

Last edited by Nando; 04-11-2011 at 06:36 PM.