Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
I think the design and controls on the MZ-S are dreadful. I orderde it because of all the great things I hear about it, and I had high hopes. But for my personal style of shooting, it could not have been less appropriate. Obviously, it's a great piece of gear for some people, just not for me. More details in this thread:

What does an MZ-S feel like? - PentaxForums.com

I come from a heavy Nikon background, which has no doubt affected how I use a camera and what I expect it to do, and to feel like, so nothing against Pentax. I just hate the MZ-S. I've been shooting a borrowed LX for the last couple of days, and it is wonderful. I fell in love with the LX almost as fast as I hated the MZ-S. For an AF film body, for me personally, the PZ-1 beats the MZ-S handily.
OK, you made your point... you made your point... you made your point... say it again... the MZ-S is not for you... cheez... lighten-up...

04-08-2012, 04:57 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
OK, you made your point... you made your point... you made your point... say it again... the MZ-S is not for you... cheez... lighten-up...
Wait, what?? He asked a question, I replied. Who needs to lighten up?

I could have ranted right here about everything I found wrong with the camera, but instead I simply referred him to content that already existed, I also went out of my way to point out my personal biases and the reason for them, and to ensure people understood it was a personal problem rather than a broad criticism of Pentax. Further, I even pointed out that I found another Pentax body that appealed to me a lot. I feel like I was pretty balanced, and not excessive at all. I'm very happy you like your MZ-S. Really. Don't take it personally that I was not thrilled with it.
04-09-2012, 04:25 AM   #18
Site Supporter

...I could have ranted right here about everything I found wrong with the camera,..
So what's your point? Why must anyone pay attention? What gives you standing and credibility? Do you really think your limited experience with the MZ-S should define its success or failure as a product? How does 'ranting' (rant is your word) advance a civil discussion?

You expose your gear to abuse while others take steps to protect theirs then you declare the MZ-S is not tough enough to take it like a N... Unlike the PZ-1 (Why not the PZ-1a, or...?), the MZ-S's ergonomics are not N... enough for you when many find it works for them... (Perhaps, if their thumbs were the size of a sausage they'd have an AF button placement problem, but for they don't and it's OK).

Why can't you accept the fact that there are plenty of MZ-S users who do NOT find the issues you ID a problem and go happily about their merry way? But DO agree the MZ-S is NOT for you and wonder why you feel a need to hammer the point home again and again and...?

Just curious...

Last edited by Michaelina2; 04-09-2012 at 05:41 AM.
04-09-2012, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

My only point in the post you reacted to (I'll tell you again) was merely to answer the question Chris asked.

The fact that there are plenty of MZ-S users who don't have the same concerns I do about the camera couldn't be more obvious, and I've even said that explicitly. Therefore your accusation that I "can't accept the fact" seems a little weird.

Also, I take offense to your not-so-subtle implication that I am careless with my gear. The fact that professionally-used gear might be exposed to more hazards isn't odd, and I really have no idea why you'd extrapolate that to thinking I abuse my gear, particularly when I specifically said I didn't (in the other thread).

And, ummm...where did I specify that anyone "must" pay attention?" (HINT: I didn't) Honestly, you seem to be about the only one who IS paying attention to my dislike for the camera, LOL. Let me just say it explicitly one more time: the MZ-S is a great camera for many people; the MZ-S is the opposite of a great camera for me. That's not weird. The fact that there are a variety of preferences is why there are so many different camera companies, and why they make so many models. How about you enjoy your MZ-S and I'll enjoy my LX, and we don't fight about it, eh?

04-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #20
Site Supporter

How about you enjoy your MZ-S..., eh?
Thank you, I will.

You are certainly entitled to an opinion. However, until you can demonstrate standing and credibility, there's no need for anyone to take it too seriously... eh?

Cheers... M
04-09-2012, 07:43 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Thank you, I will.

You are certainly entitled to an opinion. However, until you can demonstrate standing and credibility, there's no need for anyone to take it too seriously... eh?

Cheers... M
I suppose not. Good thing for me I was assuming or demanding neither.
04-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Well, I appreciate your reply and input Todd. FWIW I disliked the PZ-1P I owned.
Now I know about the MZ-S and will no longer wonder if I should have tried one.

Chris
04-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Well, I appreciate your reply and input Todd. FWIW I disliked the PZ-1P I owned.
Now I know about the MZ-S and will no longer wonder if I should have tried one.

Chris
What did you dislike about the PZ-1P?

Initially, I was a bit disappointed with it, but mainly for build quality issues. But after trying other Pentax film cameras, I think it's the best fit ergonomically for me (among AF film SLRs) due to the simlarity to the Nikons I'm used to. Still, for when I'm happy to leave AF behind, nothing I've experienced so far beats the LX.

04-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know, Chris... I loved the way the MZ-S felt and worked, while the PZ-1 did nothing for me. I debated a long time about selling all my other bodies and just using the MZ-S, although ultimately I decided to keep the others to play with. Couldn't justify having an MZ-S when I was barely using it. Still, I wonder sometimes if I made the wrong call.
04-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #25
Pentaxian

First I admit that I am an old curmudgeon, fond mostly of film cameras made before the mid-1980's.
I lost interest in new highly automated SLRs even before the debut of AF.

As a young photographer I embraced high tech. I was one of the first owners of the groundbreaking Canon A-1.
But in use I found that it was as if my camera had swallowed some crazy pocket calculator!
About a year after "upgrading" to the A-1 I chucked my Canon gear for an old (even then) Nikon F, and I haven't looked back.

After 15 years using various Nikons I found Pentax and have stuck with them since, more than 10 years now.
I have always concentrated on manual focus SLRs but have tried several Pentax AF models.

Though I found the PZ-1P build quality and reliability good,
the learning curve for all those features was just too steep for me.
That 100+ page instruction manual might well scare anyone off.

I'm just not fond of small multifunction buttons and dials, nor LCD panels.
This is partly why I don't see myself buying a DSLR, nor any digital camera anytime soon.

I do own a Pentax MZ-3 AF SLR, mostly for future use in case my vision makes use of MF cameras too difficult.
I like the mostly conventional SLR camera controls, but the build quality is very poor. It feels cheap and nasty.

IMO there's much to be said for operational simplicity of the analog controls of a classic manual focus SLR.
I do own one exceptional electronic film camera, one of the few I consider well worth learning, the Konica Hexar AF.

I'm sorry that I ramble, but there are just so many different experiences and opinions here.
I'm glad they can be expressed. And BTW it's okay to criticize Pentax, not just Canon and Nikon.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-10-2012 at 06:17 PM.
04-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I do own one exceptional electronic film camera, one of the few I consider well worth learning, the Konica Hexar AF.
Gaahh! Damn you for giving me something else to wonder if I need!!
04-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I lost interest in new highly automated SLRs even before the debut of AF.
Same here...
04-10-2012, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #28

overreact much?

Todd was just responding to a question that he was asked. I read his points in the other thread about the MZ-S and was glad he took the time to detail his issues with the camera. As someone who is looking to possibly buy this or an LX or a PZ-1p AND is left eyed, I was glad to hear his comments. He hasn't dissuaded me from considering the MZ-S but he wasn't bashing the camera..just saying that for him it is flawed. One camera can't be perfect for everyone...right?