Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2011, 09:16 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Hey Steve,

How is the contrast with 80S in 135 and 120? Have you tried it with a two baths developer like Diafine?

Cheers,

Luc
I have not used Diafine...only Edwal FG-7 (1+15). In general, I have have been happy with the results for both 135 and 120, but have had sort of mixed results with some rolls turning out quite nice and others less so. The film sort of reminds me of Technical Pan in that the negatives look thin in the low value regions when there is actually plenty of detail. Som of my photos with 120 and 35mm are posted HERE.

I am wanting to try HC-110 at dilution H (1+63) with traditional agitation as suggest in Le Duc's review article. That dilution is supposed to be a good general compromise for grain with a 1 stop speed boost.

As you might expect, my interest in the film is related to its limited blue and extended red sensitivity. The persistent haze of our Pacific Northwest landscape is frustrating. I am tired of washed out hills/mountains and pale skies. Acros is nice, but with its orthopan designation, white skies are the norm unless combined with a minus-blue filter (Wratten #12). I really liked the spectral curve and tonality of Rollei Retro 100 (APX 100), but the film curl killed my enthusiasm.

To get an idea of the RR 80s extended red sensitivity, compare the color and non-color shots of the same subject:

35mm negative, Pentax-M 50/1.7, medium yellow (K2) filter, Ricoh XR-2s

Pentax K10D, Tamron 70-150/3.5 (02A)

You might also be interested in this small group on Flickr:
Flickr: "Rollei retro 80 S"

Steve

(BTW...I have 7 rolls of late production Panatomic-X coming from an eBay merchant...now that is a film!)

(BTW...BTW...RR 80s is also supposed to be great to give luminosity to Caucasian skin tones with portraits and nudes.)

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-27-2011 at 09:33 PM.
04-27-2011, 10:06 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tempting if somewhat expensive. In Pyrocat semi-stand that could be interesting.
I am too broke to order a box of 120 from maco and not crazy enought to pay over $7/roll locally...
SO it will have to wait a little bit but that looks like a nice film from outdoors.

Cheers,

luc
04-27-2011, 11:21 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lbenac Quote
Tempting if somewhat expensive. In Pyrocat semi-stand that could be interesting.
I am too broke to order a box of 120 from maco and not crazy enought to pay over $7/roll locally...
SO it will have to wait a little bit but that looks like a nice film from outdoors.

Cheers,

luc
I agree about the Pyrocat semi-stand. I have seen good results from PMK and the Pyrocat might be similar. If you want RR 80s for less money and are passing through the Portland area anytime soon, Bluemoon sells it in 120 for $5.95 USD. That is about what I paid from Germany, but without the minimum purchase. They also have Adox CHS 25 and CHS 50 in 120. Unfortunately their 4x5 choices are much more limited.

Steve
04-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I agree about the Pyrocat semi-stand. I have seen good results from PMK and the Pyrocat might be similar. If you want RR 80s for less money and are passing through the Portland area anytime soon, Bluemoon sells it in 120 for $5.95 USD. That is about what I paid from Germany, but without the minimum purchase. They also have Adox CHS 25 and CHS 50 in 120. Unfortunately their 4x5 choices are much more limited.

Steve

Good tip - they do not have it in stock put it will be available in a few weeks and there is a discount for buying 10 or more so I put an order.
I am looking forward to landscape without a yellow/orange filter.

I am pretty much using Pyrocat HD as my standard developer now. With Diafine for really high contrast or with tri-x when I need speed.

Cheers,

Luc