Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Intercontinental Film Trafficing

Tonight I did something that I have considered doing for some time. I placed an order with macodirect.de for Rollei Retro 80s direct from Germany. I experimented a bit with RR 80s about a year ago and got pretty decent results. Unfortunately Freestyle wants $60 for 80s in bulk and at $5.00 a roll for single 35mm rolls and $7.00 for 120, my enthusiasm was dampened somewhat.

About the same time I became aware that Maco/Mahn sold direct through their Web site in Germany and that the prices for some items are quite competitive even when shipping and VAT is factored in. So tonight, I took the plunge. $105 USD (including express airmail shipping) gets me 100' of RR 80s and two 5-pack of RR 80s in 120. That works out to less than $2.20 per roll for the 35mm and less than $5.00 per roll for the 120.

Steve

(...now looking to pick up a second Watson loader...)

P.S. I have no relationship to Maco/Mahn, business or otherwise...

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-12-2011 at 07:04 AM.
04-12-2011, 01:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
:applause:
I love the 80s too
04-12-2011, 05:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter

LONG LIVE FILM!!!!!!
Sounds like a great deal.
04-12-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
LONG LIVE FILM!!!!!!
Sounds like a great deal.
We will see. With any luck the pass through the postal service x-ray machines will be brief! There is also the issue of customs duty. I neglected to look up what duty is for film products coming into the U.S. from the E.U. (Fingers crossed on that one.) I will update the crew here at PF as to how the process worked. It will be good to have a few alternatives world-wide rather than routinely pointing users to Freestyle.

Steve

04-12-2011, 07:12 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I love the 80s too
It is an interesting material. What I like is that it is a "super pan" film with decreased blue and increased red sensitivity...great for landscape here in the hazy Pacific Northwest and also for skin tones. The fine grain doesn't hurt either.

Did I mention that the negatives are FLAT?

Steve
04-12-2011, 03:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

About the same time I became aware that Maco/Mahn sold direct through their Web site in Germany and that the prices for some items are quite competitive even when shipping and VAT is factored in.
I didn't think VAT was paid on products being sold to other countries. Customs duties yes, but I don't think you'll have to pay a VAT.
04-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
I didn't think VAT was paid on products being sold to other countries. Customs duties yes, but I don't think you'll have to pay a VAT.
You are correct. I had asked them about the VAT before I posted last night and got a response this morning indicating that the Web site prices are pre-VAT. The price description on the Web site says otherwise, but I figure it is a quirk of translation.

Steve
04-13-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter

We will see. With any luck the pass through the postal service x-ray machines will be brief! ...

Steve
Unless something goes badly wrong, I'm sure you should be fine regarding the x-rays. I have ordered film internationally a few times now and never had a single problem with x-rays.

My worst use case so far:
A while back I bought some Tri-X from the USA. So it would have been scanned in entry to Oz at least once. I then travelled international with the film in hand luggage, must of been scanned 6 times then. Eventually I exposed and developed the roll at 1600 and there were no issues with fog at all.

With the low sensitivity of this film, I think the risk is lowered somewhat. Saying that, I will be travelling with film on the weekend and I'm a little nervous about it still.

04-13-2011, 05:28 AM   #9
Pentaxian

IDid I mention that the negatives are FLAT?
All film makers should hear you Clear AND flat !
04-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Flat? Now I'm interested in trying it. I've been known to leave neg strips in a heavy book for weeks trying to get it flat....
04-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
Site Supporter

We will see. With any luck the pass through the postal service x-ray machines will be brief! There is also the issue of customs duty. I neglected to look up what duty is for film products coming into the U.S. from the E.U. (Fingers crossed on that one.) I will update the crew here at PF as to how the process worked. It will be good to have a few alternatives world-wide rather than routinely pointing users to Freestyle.

Steve
This is another place I tried in England, shipping was quick as well. There is a minimum international order of 100 for us folks.

Silverprint - Home - News - Photographic Materials and more -

Phil.
04-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
This is another place I tried in England, shipping was quick as well. There is a minimum international order of 100 for us folks.

Silverprint - Home - News - Photographic Materials and more -

Phil.
Ouch! 100 minimum order?

Steve
04-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Ouch! 100 minimum order?

Steve
Yeah the minimum order of a 100 was a bit of a shock, but I ordered over 20 rolls of 35mm film and easily exceded that amount.

I also didn’t have much of a choice either, as they were the only place I could find that had the recently discontinued Fomapan R 100 b&w reversal film in stock.

Phil.
04-26-2011, 08:24 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just an update...great experience with macodirect.de. I placed my order on 11 April, they shipped on 14 April(?), and it was received in good condition on 21 April. Looks like a good way to gain access to certain products that are either unavailable or sold at inflated prices in N. America. (Assuming, of course, that you are willing to swallow the 41.50EUR minimum order!)

Steve
04-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Hey Steve,

How is the contrast with 80S in 135 and 120? Have you tried it with a two baths developer like Diafine?

Cheers,

Luc