Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this film any good? Picture attached.

FUJIFILM FUJICOLOR 200. I bought a roll of it today at walmart--hope its good. Would appreciate feedback. Also where should I get this developed and negative scanned? I want a service that has a decent high resolution negative scanner and develops the film properly.

Last edited by geekette; 05-04-2011 at 08:50 AM.
04-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I bought 2 rolls of this bundled at Walmart too for $3 and another bundled 2 roll of ASA 400 for $3.50.
These where markdowns, maybe you missed the marked down films. They would have them there at photo too not unless they have sold them out.
I still have to run it to test and would just have it developed at Walmart too just to see how my local Walmart does this job.
If it is acceptable enough, then I will just go with them to avoid any more hassles with sending film somewhere else for developing and waiting again to be shipped for delivery.
I'm sure there are others here who have more experience with these than me.
I haven't shot film for a very long time and I'm just going back to it again.
Good luck and tell me how it goes too if you get yours developed.
04-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I saw 4 x Fujifilm 400 film (24 exposures each) for around $8.50 or so. Not a bad deal, but if I recall I always liked shooting with 200 or 100 speed film because it was higher resolution.
04-12-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I just called the local Walmart to ask about cost of developing and scanning 35mm film. The guy there was so clueless as to the pricing lol; he said since he's been there, over the past year, he only had like 2 rolls of 35mm film developed (not including the throw away box cameras).

he said they couldn't just develop the film only, it comes bundled with prints. And he also couldn't give me a price for just developing and scanning the negatives. He even asked his coworker who was also clueless.. Geesh.

Should I just develop my own film at home and buy a flat bed scanner or something for negatives? I have a 4 year old canon scanner that scans negatives that did a fair job if I recall but I don't know how it compares to professional negative scanning services (if they exist).

I'm clueless.. how do you all develop your film and get it scanned in?

P.S. Sniffing this roll of film--smells so good, lol! It's been 15 years!

04-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #5

I just bought an old used camera and used Walmart for developing the test roll. The scans of the negs to the picture CD look good. The film scans where 5.22mb in size. They are 3000 by 2000 pixels. I noted that the Walmart has changed from Kodak photo machines to HP photo machines in the London, Ontario area. The cost of developing the film was $4.00 and the picture CD was $3.97.

My girl friend can not really see the use of film at all but I see it as a tool to get you to think and shoot. Digital makes picture taking too easy. I see too many people over shooting pictures with out too much thought. Film makes you slow down a lot.

I just wish some of the nicer negative and slide films where still around.

Last edited by stevbike; 04-12-2011 at 05:47 PM.
04-13-2011, 02:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Opened up my first box of film in 15 years Can't wait to use it! (Took pic with my iPhone 4, lol)

Last edited by geekette; 05-04-2011 at 08:50 AM.
04-13-2011, 06:22 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
Opened up my first box of film in 15 years Can't wait to use it! (Took pic with my iPhone 4, lol)
Did you enjoy the smell of film fresh from the can? Sniff...Ahhhhh!

Steve

04-13-2011, 06:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well I just called the local Walmart to ask about cost of developing and scanning 35mm film. The guy there was so clueless as to the pricing lol; he said since he's been there, over the past year, he only had like 2 rolls of 35mm film developed (not including the throw away box cameras).

he said they couldn't just develop the film only, it comes bundled with prints. And he also couldn't give me a price for just developing and scanning the negatives. He even asked his coworker who was also clueless.. Geesh.

Should I just develop my own film at home and buy a flat bed scanner or something for negatives? I have a 4 year old canon scanner that scans negatives that did a fair job if I recall but I don't know how it compares to professional negative scanning services (if they exist).

I'm clueless.. how do you all develop your film and get it scanned in?

P.S. Sniffing this roll of film--smells so good, lol! It's been 15 years!
I don't know about Walmart, but Walgreens will develop without printing. It depends upon what manager is there at the one near me, but the price runs from $3 to $5 per roll. Their version of Fuji 200 is pretty decent, too, as these house brand films go.

04-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

See, it even caught an insect in mid-flight!
04-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
See, it even caught an insect in mid-flight!
Yeah, the M75-150 which was on my MX resolves a fly and is a bargain. The film has good detail and good grain in the sky, (better before the file was reduced).
04-13-2011, 09:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks y'all! And !!YES!! I sniffed the can more than once. Brought back pleasant memories and got me high too jk lol.
04-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #12

Great shot!! Got to love old film cameras!!

Last edited by stevbike; 04-15-2011 at 01:32 AM.
04-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

When I look, I can't find 200 speed in any non-camera store. Enjoy!
my last venture into a Walgreens netted a store brand 800 @ under $2... got the last roll. I checked three other Walgreens within the week and no such luck. I also notice that single paks are getting a bit rare as well.
04-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EyeSpy Quote
When I look, I can't find 200 speed in any non-camera store. Enjoy!
my last venture into a Walgreens netted a store brand 800 @ under $2... got the last roll. I checked three other Walgreens within the week and no such luck. I also notice that single paks are getting a bit rare as well.
I noticed that about single packs, but one state over, 3 packs of ISO 200 are still in the Walgreens. In all honesty, though, I could easily see a store which caters to consumer-level users emphasizing ISO 400 and higher. The 400 films have gotten so good compared to the olden days of film, that ISO 400 makes better sense for the point and shooter.
04-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

FUJIFILM FUJICOLOR 200. I bought a roll of it today at walmart--hope its good. Would appreciate feedback. Also where should I get this developed and negative scanned? I want a service that has a decent high resolution negative scanner and develops the film properly.
I use this film all the time. There are definitely better films out there in terms of pure IQ but for the money it's hard to beat this stuff and it has pretty good IQ. My local Wal-Mart has it in 4-packs for $6.80 so I usually pick up a box or 2 whenever I go there, even if I don't need it. I'm terrified of the day I go and they've stopped selling it.
I used it a lot for testing cameras and whenever I just want to take snapshot style photos. I like the colors it produces and it usually has fine enough grain. I usually expose it at EI 160.
Depending on how much you plan on shooting,and if you can find a place that will develop only and then get a flatbed scanner, that's the way to go IMHO. Most places probably charge $10-$12 for developing, scanning, and making a CD. I pay $3.50 a roll for C41 developing and I bought a Epson V500 for $150 and it has easily paid for itself in the 1-1/2 years I've owned it and the 100+ rolls of film I've scanned with it.