Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got a second chance offer on ebay for Asahi Pentax KX

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Asahi Pentax KX Camera Body - eBay (item 270735584078 end time Apr-14-11 19:50:57 PDT)

Should I get it? $35. They claim it is 100% functional.. just shows some wear and dings.

04-13-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

No, you should buy my fully functional KM instead
04-13-2011, 11:13 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
No, you should buy my fully functional KM instead
If you are selling a KM, the marketplace is the place to list it

Seriously though...To the OP...The camera on the eBay listing is in pretty rough shape cosmetically based on the description. My expectation is that it will most likely require a full CLA to bring it up to good working condition (another $75 minimum). If you are interested in a price at the low end of the range ($35) a clean KM may well be the better option. You may still need the CLA, but will at least have a pretty camera when the money is spent. (Joe...this is where you PM the OP and suggest that your camera might suit his needs.)

Steve
04-13-2011, 11:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
Should I get it? $35. They claim it is 100% functional.. just shows some wear and dings.
As long as you realize its a film camera from the 1970s, and not the digital SLR.

04-13-2011, 11:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If you are selling a KM, the marketplace is the place to list it

(Joe...this is where you PM the OP and suggest that your camera might suit his needs.)

Steve
Ya, I was thinking earlier this week about putting it up in the marketplace along with a couple lenses, just haven't had time to take any pics of it - maybe i can get it listed over the weekend
04-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
selar, lol I used to shoot with film back in the 80's on my k1000d :P
04-14-2011, 02:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Sorry, I just wanted to help, it was not my intention to put you down.

04-14-2011, 06:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For $35, if you have the cash, why not? The two worst-case scenarios are that the shutter will need CLA (curtains drag or run unevenly) or that the camera will freeze on you, mid stroke. Both cases should be standard service by Eric.
The next worst is that the meter doesn't work, in which case you can still use the camera, or have it repaired by Eric. I think the meter on these is pretty reliable however.
The most likely thing is you'll have to spend the $11 or whatever it is these days to get a light seal kit, and the hour or less it takes to put the new seals in.

I paid much much more for my KX at a camera store, and it will need a CLA from Eric, though I did get several rolls through it before that point was reached (mine has a sticky aperture follower ring in the mount).

I say: that's an excellent price and even if you decide not to pay for a CLA, I'm certain there are people here who will buy it off you at no loss to you.
04-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I say: that's an excellent price and
Jussi...Did you read the item description for the auction? The camera has been roughly used and the question is always whether it makes sense to CLA a beater. Even if freshly CLA'd, the resale value is not much more than the asking price.

Just my opinion, however

Steve
04-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Jussi...Did you read the item description for the auction? The camera has been roughly used and the question is always whether it makes sense to CLA a beater. Even if freshly CLA'd, the resale value is not much more than the asking price.

Just my opinion, however

Steve

True it has some dings and wear, but often a well used sample will work better than a pristine-looking one. Also, the seller has 100% feedback and indicates he's a camera dealer, so I would trust the characterization that the camera is operational.

My guess is that it is a good user camera, and that a CLA may be needed sometime down the road, but not necessarily immediately, depending on one's standards when it comes to things like that. I'd buy it with the expectation that I'd get good use out of it right out of the box, at an excellent price that goes a long way to mitigate any risk.

I would not expect to get all my money back after a CLA when selling this camera, but then that tends to be the case for most user bodies.

p.s. this is a lucky post for me, as much to my surprise I also got a second chance offering... for a 1932 Journal of British Photography annual.

Last edited by Nesster; 04-14-2011 at 10:08 AM.
04-14-2011, 05:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's a really good price for a KX. If the seller is reputable and the cosmetics don't bother you, you're getting a potentially working camera for very little. I would have it CLA'd after a few months, because by then you'll know if you're keeping it and if it needs any special attention during the CLA.