Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Question RE: Mirror Lockup on Asahi K2

I just got a K2 from ebay. I never used Mirror Lockup before on any SLR but it's one of the reasons I purchased this camera.

The mirror lockup works but I really have to give it some effort to slide the lever up. It seems stiff. I'm thinking if I did a macro shot it might move the camera a bit just trying to get that mirror up before snapping. Seems like it should go up a lot easier. But I don't know.. never used one before. Does it just need lubrication? Perhaps after lubrication it goes up effortlessly? Or is the mirror lockup on this camera not very good?

04-16-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
dont have much experience with that body G-K,but for what its worth,how does
it disengage from locked up position? little reluctant to drop down?Both ways would
seem to indicate maybe a little CLA(clean,lube,adjust) is needed.Some of those older
mechanical linkage's have to overcome pretty strong spring,will feel 'heavy in hand'
should'nt feel like you have to force it though.
There is a chap in Tennesee that has good rep for work at reasonable rate,heard mention of a number of times here.Maybe someone with little more knowledge can weigh in and help you little more than I
04-16-2011, 03:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Used K2s are often in need of a CLA. I got two several months ago (mostly for the one K50/1.2 lens that came with them) and one or both (can't remember) had the mirror stuck up when I got them. I was able to work it lose and they are both working fine now. They don't seem overly stiff to me, but I definitely can't imagine locking the mirror on either of them without slightly moving the tripod position. Some people love this camera for its solid build and the metal shutter sound.

I think this is more or less the way it is. Perhaps someone who uses his K2 more could give more insight.
04-16-2011, 04:03 AM   #4
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
Greasing the mirror-lock-up lever does make a difference. I have a KX which is similar to the K2 and I had to clean out the dried lube and decayed foam collected around it. This sort of servicing requires removal of the self-timer plate under the leather and so not for unfamiliar. Do take it to CLA and if you don't have someone in your area, give Eric Hendrickson a call ( Home ).
Update: Sorry... thinking of the wrong again.

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 04-17-2011 at 05:19 AM.
04-16-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
...I have a KX which is similar to the K2 and I had to clean out...
The MLU on the K2 is not the same as that on the KX. For some reason Pentax used a different type of mechanism between these two cameras. Lubrication/cleaning may be warranted, but is best done by a pro unless one is willing to take the risk of damaging the camera with misplaced lubricant or dribbled cleaning solvents. The mantra on this site is: "Send it to Eric"
Eric Hendrickson: www.pentaxs.com

Steve

(...has serviced and repaired several of his own cameras, but never one that couldn't be thrown away if ruined...)
04-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As Steve mentioned the mirror lock-up on the K2 is different than the KX.
Also note if the shutter speed dial is in the “Automatic” position and you press the shutter release button with the lens cap on, the mirror will stay in the up position. Just turn the shutter speed dial to any manual selection to drop it back down.

Here is a link to the K2 manual, passwod is: Pentax

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/mf/pentax_k2_manual_s.pdf

Phil.

PS A CLA by Eric is also recommended.
04-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. Yeah I already read the K2 manual in its entirety, including the section on how to use the Mirror Lockup feature. They say to simply slide the lever up to bring the mirror up and to slide the lever back down to bring it down. Thing is the lever is VERY VERY stiff.. I don't see myself being able to move it up without moving the tripod.

I'd like to get some feedback from those that have K2's that have had them CLA'd. I'd like to know how easy it is to move the mirror up on a properly functioning K2. If it is still too difficult I might just get the Nikon F3 or something.

04-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
Thanks. Yeah I already read the K2 manual in its entirety, including the section on how to use the Mirror Lockup feature. They say to simply slide the lever up to bring the mirror up and to slide the lever back down to bring it down. Thing is the lever is VERY VERY stiff.. I don't see myself being able to move it up without moving the tripod.

I'd like to get some feedback from those that have K2's that have had them CLA'd. I'd like to know how easy it is to move the mirror up on a properly functioning K2. If it is still too difficult I might just get the Nikon F3 or something.
My K2 also has a very stiff MLU lever. It's so stiff it's almost impossible to use. The DOF preview button is also quite stiff. I have have been planning on eventually sending it to Eric for a CLA and asking him to look at those 2 issues. Hopefully it is something he can resolve.
You can always send him an email asking about it and he is usually very good at replying with his recommendations.
04-16-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah I'll send Eric an email. My DOF preview button on my K2 works fine, presses down easily.
04-16-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
+1 on the clean and lube.

Routine maintenance on all older cameras. Just like changing the oil in your car.

It must be done or it will spite you.

Tom G
04-16-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote

The MLU lever should move "fairly" easily, so yes a CLA is in order. It’s still a mechanical lever so it’s always going to be stiffer than the shutter lock.

Phil.