Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I do find, however, that drug store processing can give it a nasty green cast and poor quality scans. I'm afraid I bite the bullet and send mine to a good quality lab.
Good to know. I just got back my first roll of color from the drugstore lab, and I am frustrated with it. The colors are washed out and anemic. Was it the film? The processing? I have no idea. I paid an extra US$2.99 for their scan-to-CD service, and the CD is blank. None of this bodes well for how they would process BW400CN.

I'm afraid I'll have to bite the same bullet, womble, and send it out to a good quality lab. Thanks for sharing your experience.

The LegacyPro short date stuff from Freestyle that séamuis and BillM mentioned looks interesting... How does Freestyle define "short date," and what happens if it expires?

04-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #17
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rbryant Quote
Good to know. I just got back my first roll of color from the drugstore lab, and I am frustrated with it. The colors are washed out and anemic. Was it the film? The processing? I have no idea. I paid an extra US$2.99 for their scan-to-CD service, and the CD is blank. None of this bodes well for how they would process BW400CN.

I'm afraid I'll have to bite the same bullet, womble, and send it out to a good quality lab. Thanks for sharing your experience.

The LegacyPro short date stuff from Freestyle that séamuis and BillM mentioned looks interesting... How does Freestyle define "short date," and what happens if it expires?
you are talking here about true B&W, (rebranded Fuji Acros) this will have to be properly developed (meaning you can't take it to the drugstore.) so keep that in mind. this is why I said you would have to consider purchasing the necessary equipment for home developing. but you don't need a darkroom, and developing is much easier than you think! once you get into it, you will love it and probably won't consider the cheap color film and drugstore developing as anything other than a rip off afterwards. =) as for the short date, if you keep it in the refrigerator to keep it cool, it shouldn't pose any problem, and should all still be good until you can use it all, even if you go well beyond the expiration date. they are a good deal really, especially for learning home developing. I plan on buying a brick of the short date legacy pro myself for my upcoming vacation.
04-23-2011, 07:17 AM   #18
Forum Member

Re: drugstore developing - some stores are better than others, I've found. Costco is consistently the best around here, followed by Wal-Mart, strangely enough. CVS is hit or miss and Walgreens scratched my negatives. I would take your negatives back and get them rescanned and have them redo the CD. Then you can post process to fix the colors if they are still washed out to try and save that roll.

Adorama has 2-packs of Ilford HP-5 400 B&W (36 exp) on sale for $5. Seems like a pretty good price.... But it is true B&W also and either has to be sent out or home developed.
04-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rbryant Quote
Not to worry. This is fairly easily corrected, at least most of it. Do this:
1) duplicate the photo onto a new layer.
2) if you wish, do 'auto color correction'
3) put the opacity slider to 50%
4) put the blend mode to multiply. (you can also try soft light, this accentuates contrast)
5) move the opacity up and down till you get a good look.
Multiply has the effect of 'doubling up' the original, makes the colors deeper and everything more solid.

With BW400CN and XP2, simply desaturate the scan first.

Attached Images