Film only 1612.70%
Film and Digital, digital more 5442.86%
Film and Digital, film more 2721.43%
Film and Digital equally 1612.70%
They still make film!? 1310.32%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #31

For me its MF (645/67) film for serious shooting, and digital for messing around or otherwise. I need a tangible result for my efforts, not more files on my hard drive.

04-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As someone else replied, my heart is with film and I ache for my old Topcon RE2 that I stupidly traded in for a spotting scope some years ago. Realistically, film here in Australia is outrageously expensive to get processed and there are fewer and fewer places that do it. When you ask "How much?" they just look at the sky and think of a number, then double it and add 10% GST. Yes, I do develop my own b&w negs, but without a darkroom I'm forced back into the digital world to get a print, so it makes more sense to simply shoot with my K7 from the start. So shooting film has become an occasional indulgence, like chocolate - a moment of sweetness when I can't stand the sour taste of digital any longer.
04-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #33

The only digital I shoot (and I really cannot claim to shoot digital because it is on my cell phone.) is for quick pics that I cannot reach my camera. Otherwise I only use film. Mostly my K1000. I have recently aquired a cannon Rebel eos G. I am kinda enjoying shooting with it. I need some other lenses for it.
The new camera that I have been playing with is an old Petri. If it works I am thinking I am going to give it to my daughter. She is showing some interest in photography.
04-29-2011, 06:22 AM   #34

80turbota, I got a Rebel G for my girlfriend last week. Its a real nice camera. You'll enjoy it. I almost kept it and gave her flowers instead.

04-29-2011, 06:49 AM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by ajlec2000 Quote
80turbota, I got a Rebel G for my girlfriend last week. Its a real nice camera. You'll enjoy it. I almost kept it and gave her flowers instead.
Now thats funny. Thanks I needed that this morning. Great way to get the day rolling.
I still like my Pentax. I still carry it around in my work rig for those abandend houses and animal pics that I seem to gather. Once I get my scanner I will post some of them up.
04-29-2011, 02:35 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
I agree wholeheartedly!

K.
Last night I checked my stock. Two rolls of Portra, two rolls of Fujichrome Sensia, one roll of Ilford XP-2 and FP-4. I need more film...
04-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rt22306 Quote
Last night I checked my stock. Two rolls of Portra, two rolls of Fujichrome Sensia, one roll of Ilford XP-2 and FP-4. I need more film...
Seven rolls of late production Panatomic-X just came in the mail today! Woo! Hoo!

Steve
05-01-2011, 12:14 PM   #38

Photos: Albums
Film only and only Kodak Portra 400NC for as long as I can still find it.

05-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I only shoot film these days. I've had a K10D and K-7, but sold both due to hardly using either. My K-7 was relegated to slide and negative digitizing duty before I sold it. Now I use 3 LXs and a cheap P&S, with B&W and slide primarily.

For me film is much more rewarding, both when it comes to quality of results, and enjoyment of the photographing experience. The way I take pictures is more hindered than helped by an LCD and cost isn't too different between digital and film, all things considered.
05-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #40
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am ashamed to say that I was asked to shoot 3 indoor events this last weekend, and I did not shoot a single frame of film. Much of it was indoors, and I knew the hosts wanted color. I had two bodies running as it was, I should have squeezed an LX with some Neopan in there.
05-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #41

K5 para trabajos y experiencias, la P30 sólo para disfrutar
05-08-2011, 07:24 PM   #42

After using a MX why would I want to shoot with any other SLR ? Although I have never used a digital SLR (I occasionally use a Canon Powershot A3100 point-and-shoot digital) they do not look very well built to me - they look like plastic toys.
05-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #43
Veteran Member

psur45, I just got an MX in a bundle for $25, locally. I love how compact it is; feels great in my hands and will fit in my purse better I also love the split screen large bright viewfinder. However, the winder seems really weak compared to the KM and K2; maybe this is because they expect one to get the electric winder for it. Maybe it needs lubricated.. not sure.
05-09-2011, 05:59 AM   #44

Pentax MX

Good choice! It is a widely held opinion that the Pentax MX is the best manual camera ever built by Asahi Pentax. It is built like a tank. It is robust, compact, with high build quality, phenomenal optics, large bright viewfinder, nice weight and balance, smooth shutter, great ergonomics, does not get in your way ... you just compose and shoot. What more could you want ? Take good care of it. Get it serviced by a qualified tech. If you are in USA by Eric Hendrickson (www.pentaxs.com). I have only one problem with it. In bright sunlight when you are facing the sun (well almost) the LED s are almost impossible to see in the viewfinder. I wish they had stuck to the match needle metering of earlier models - it was far more intuitive. I have only only one other problem with my 1980 MX (purchased new) - sometimes the shutter sticks. To unstick it you need to push back the film advance lever and then advance it again slightly to the detent position (which activates the meter). This releases the shutter and it does not stick any more. Good luck with your MX!
05-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
i still keep my digital K20D, in my dry box. for a family use.

i remember there was a thread about the reason still shoot film ..but i cannot find it anywhere..