Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2006, 07:27 PM   #1

Screw mount SMC Pentax lens

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I am trying to get my old Pentax SP and lens (All SMC), 50mm 1.4, 28mm 3.5, 50mm 4.0 (macro), 200mm 4.0, 135mm 3.5 (or whatever) back from my ex who got it in our divorce. I always thought that those lens were sharp as tacks and would like to use them again. Is there an adapter, screw to bayonet available for these lens? If so, what's the average cost for the thing? And what, if any, sharpness is lost when employing these screw mount lens on bayonet mount cameras?

Thanks,

FLASH

12-12-2006, 07:41 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Screwmount Lens Adapter

You can get one of these for under $30- they're very cost-effective if you find all your lenses

I bought a nice Takumar on KEH the other day, and I found the sharpness to be better than that of many modern lenses. You can't beat all-metal lenses...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-13-2006, 04:36 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Rather than the genuine pentax adapter, to use M42-mount lenses on my Pentax dSLRs I prefer the cheap copies like this one.

With the genuine adapter you fit the adapter to the camera body, then screw the lens into the body. I find the pin that actuates the aperture iris catches on something as the lens rotates.

The cheap copy adapters screw onto the lens first, then you fit the lens to the body with the normal short rotation. Because of the short rotation, the pin doesn't seem to catch on anything.

This probably depends on the particular lens, so try whatever you have easy access to, but listen and feel for the pin catching - be gentle!
12-13-2006, 06:57 AM   #4

Anyone tried this one? Seems cheap enough.

eBay.co.uk: Pentax M42 lens to Pentax PK K mount adpater adptor y93 (item 160062339437 end time 15-Dec-06 18:10:00 GMT)

P.S. Sorry, don't know how to make url shorter

12-13-2006, 07:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, they will physically fit, but because of the extra 1mm flange on these adapters, you won't be able to focus to infinity.

Be sure to get an adapter without the flange if you fully want to use your M42 lenses.

The one on the left won't focus to infinity; the one on the right will:
12-13-2006, 08:07 AM   #6

Is this true for film SLRs only?
Does it have some kind of sensor there?
As far as I can see, the flinge from the left has width of metal ring where connectors on my DA lens are.
Even if it is wider, there is nothing beyond that ring.
12-13-2006, 08:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No sensor-physical distance. The proper adapter creates an extended flush surface to the existing mounting ring; the flange ring sits above the original mount ring from 0.3 to 1.0mm. Effectively holdingthe lens further from the focal plane (sensor surface).

12-13-2006, 09:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I would advise getting a genuine Pentax adapter or at least one that sinks in the body thus retaining full focal range of the lens. I had a chance to try a copy of Pentax adapter and it was hard to mount/unmount while genuine adapter fits like a glove and is suprisingly easy to remove.
12-14-2006, 05:00 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote

The one on the left won't focus to infinity; the one on the right will
I too would recommend the one on the right. I bought mine from HK via ebuy so it might be a knock-off. However, it IS well made so it could be the REAL McCoy.
12-14-2006, 09:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
I would advise getting a genuine Pentax adapter or at least one that sinks in the body thus retaining full focal range of the lens. I had a chance to try a copy of Pentax adapter and it was hard to mount/unmount while genuine adapter fits like a glove and is suprisingly easy to remove.
Right on. I can remove my genuine adapter by compressing the retaining spring with the corner of my thumbnail while rotating the adapter off the body. No removal tool necessary!
12-18-2006, 12:58 AM   #11
Inactive Account

M42 adaptor plus two questions

I also bought the Pentax adaptor and it works great!

My related questions are;

1 - Has anyone else found that the M42 lenses won't screw on far enough so that the RED Marker is right on the top? They are just off to the side a bit!

2 - When screwing on my Super - Takumar 28mm f3.5 I hear it scratching on the lower right side of the frame inside and it has left a visible scratch mark. Has anyone else noticed this?

Ed
12-19-2006, 12:48 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Do you think it's worth buying an adapter just to buy screw mount lenses in order to save costs while growing your collection or is it only advisable for those who already have a bunch of old SM lenses? Thanks.
12-19-2006, 11:28 PM   #13
Inactive Account

M42 adaptor (er) worth buying?

QuoteOriginally posted by Sean K Quote
Do you think it's worth buying an adapter just to buy screw mount lenses in order to save costs while growing your collection or is it only advisable for those who already have a bunch of old SM lenses? Thanks.
Well, Yes and No!

Yes of course if you have older lens.
Yes if you want to own numerous older prime & fast lenses on eBay for a lot, lot less than new lenses.
Yes if you like these gorgeous old lenses and want to use them.
Yes if you want to own some Pentax history.
Yes if you want to keep your skills sharp by shooting manual.
Yes, because the PENTAX adaptors are under $25.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
No if you just want to point and shoot.
No if your spouse wants to use the camera to use at the kids Birthday party at Rotten Ronnies and they don't know how to focus it.
No if you share the camera and leave the screw mount attached. (It will drive them crazy when the lens won't pop off and if they do get it off, there is this silver ring stuck in the camera...now what?)
No if you don't own older lenses and don't want to buy some.
No if you want to help keep the prices for these lenses down on eBay for the rest of us by not buying them!!
No if you have no money to spend!

Merry Christmas everyone!
12-22-2006, 03:27 AM   #14

it seems like theres two sorts of adapters, since the extra 1mm flange seems to be designed to contact all the pins so that you will get focus confirmation?

I have the type that is fully recessed into the K-mount (ie focuses to infinity fine), but it depends on which camera body im using whether i will get focus confirmation or not.
12-22-2006, 08:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I have one of these:

eBay: NEW Pentax Screw Mount M42 Lens to PK K Camera Adapter (item 180066341738 end time Dec-23-06 21:00:00 PST)

focusses to infinity with no problem.

I removed the locking pin and leave the adapter attached to the lens, effectively converting the M42 lens to Kmount. It's a lot less hassle having each lens with an adapter than installing/removing the adapter each time you want/need to change lens types.

I think it was Carpents that proposed this on a different forum some while back???