Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2011, 05:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anyone used their DSLR w/ macro to capture a 35mm negative?

I wonder if snapping a pic of a 35mm negative (with dslr camera w/ macro setup) would give as good results as using a negative scanner.

04-21-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It'll work on slides but not negative.
04-21-2011, 07:15 AM   #3

You can do this but you have to be able to invert the image in Photoshop and then correct the image to remove the (now blue) color mask. Here is a link to a description of the scanning process:
http://www.scantips.com/es-1.html

Here is a link to a description of the PS process:
http://www.ledet.com/margulis/2007HTM/ACT06-reversing_C41.htm

Last edited by Tom in Delaware; 04-21-2011 at 08:02 AM.
04-21-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Hi
Have done hundreds of slides and negatives with a home made light box and a tripod.
Both color and black/white.
Just a small wood box with 18w mini flor. bulb, glass top covered with a piece of paper to soften the light. You can use a cardboard cutout to align the Slides/neg. Once the setup and focus is
done it is a fast production line thing.
Just 2 steps. Reverse the images for negatives then use auto white balance.
I use Digikam to reverse ( I use Linux ) then I find the best is Picasa for the color adjust.
Have done 110 color neg. to 4x6 old B/W

04-21-2011, 07:42 AM   #5

I have done it based on few guides from the web, but I couldnt get an optically optimum looking image(maybe I'm just lazy and doing it incompletely). So i just a bought a scanner instead
04-25-2011, 08:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
I wonder if snapping a pic of a 35mm negative (with dslr camera w/ macro setup) would give as good results as using a negative scanner.
Presumably you're shooting film for the joyful experience of shooting film. Then you want to re-shoot the negative with a digital camera? Doesn't make sense to me. You might as well take the shot with the digital and be done with it. No offence, but it seems to miss the point of shooting film.
04-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
Presumably you're shooting film for the joyful experience of shooting film. Then you want to re-shoot the negative with a digital camera? Doesn't make sense to me. You might as well take the shot with the digital and be done with it. No offence, but it seems to miss the point of shooting film.
Huh?

The intent, I believe is to digitize legacy film images or to have an option, other than an expensive film scanner, to digitize current images. This idea gets tossed around every once in awhile, but with few exceptions, most users who have tried this approach don't give an encouraging report. (The one exception that comes to mind was a post I read where someone was using an Olympus duplicator bellows that had an adapter for spooled roll film. Very well built and very cool.)

Steve

04-26-2011, 12:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian

If you can scan/digitize how do you share the pics with people like us?
And yes it does work fine, however reflectios can be a bitch and the use of a decent white light is essential.
I have a mini light table from GEPE (20x15 cm) which is good enough, but I guess some leds and a diffuser should also work.

I am now digitizing hunderds of negatives and slides I found in my mother's house. My father took those in the 60s and 70s (aka my childhood) using a Zeiss Ikon first, and then the mighty Spotmatic (he bought it new in Japan 1973).
After digitizing I'm sharing them with my brother and sister on the other side of the world. Possible otherwise but far more expensive.

For slides, I'll also try this sometime in the summermonths
http://babryce.com/slidedigitizer.html

Last edited by titrisol; 04-26-2011 at 12:12 AM.
04-26-2011, 01:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The intent, I believe is to digitize legacy film images...
Steve
I must have missed this somewhere. But yes, I did make an assumption, so sorry if I sounded a bit abrupt, geekette.
04-26-2011, 01:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I must have missed this somewhere. But yes, I did make an assumption, so sorry if I sounded a bit abrupt, geekette.
I want to use it for both digitizing old film and new film pics I take. I want to be able to share film caputres online on flickr, here and elsewhere. And yeah I like taking film pics for the pure enjoyment of it because I've used film SLR since the 80's. It brings back memories and I like how the heavy Pentax K2 feels in my hands--it sure feels a lot more comfortable in my hands than these lightweight tiny, 2/3rds body cameras, that feels like I can only hold with one hand.
04-30-2011, 01:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I want to use it for both digitizing old film and new film pics I take. I want to be able to share film caputres online on flickr, here and elsewhere. And yeah I like taking film pics for the pure enjoyment of it because I've used film SLR since the 80's. It brings back memories and I like how the heavy Pentax K2 feels in my hands--it sure feels a lot more comfortable in my hands than these lightweight tiny, 2/3rds body cameras, that feels like I can only hold with one hand.
It's funny you should say that, I have used an ME Super all my life and now I have a K-X and was thinkin that it mightbe smaller than my old film camera, after I did a side by side comparison the K-x is larger and actually heavier than my ME Super body, and it feels more comfortable in my hands. Now if you add the ME II winder to the Me Super body along with batteries you then have something bigger and heavier.
I too love the feel of the old film cameras but hate the cost of film and developing and the hassel of it all.

As to what the OP is concerned about I actually photographed a bunch of my old slides and negatives with a point and shoot Canon and a light box, they came out pretty good but I imagine the dedicated scanners work better.
04-30-2011, 09:45 PM   #12
Forum Member

one word -scanner
04-30-2011, 10:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
fafo13, which one?
05-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

fafo13, which one?
There is a fair amount of discussion in this section of this site:

Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom - PentaxForums.com

The short answer is that there is no short answer! Much depends on the size of negative you scan, your purpose for scanning, how much time you have, and your resolution/quality requirements...oh, yeah...and budget. If you are scanning 35mm, have tons of slides to archive, have little time, and need better than 2400 dpi...$$$$$$

If you are scanning MF or larger with the same requirements...

To balance the above...almost any decent film scanner will deliver better results than what you get from the minilab...regardless of the size of file they deliver (garbage bigger = bigger garbage). Entry point is around $200 USD.

Steve

(Currently has two scanners...Nikon 5000 ED (for 35mm, currently in the shop, no longer made, mucho dinero used) and Epson V700 (for 120 and 4x5)...also has a Microtek flatbed that cannot be given away...)
05-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have the 8400F canon scanner. I've used it to scan a few negatives. I guess it's ok. I just have to clean up the dust in photoshop.