Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2011, 03:34 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
MZ-M (ZX-M) very premature rewind

I have just given an old MZ-M to a friend and typically he has immediately got a problem I don't remember seeing before.

Before I gave it to him I just finished up an ancient film in it. I rewound fine. I told him I didn't know the state of the battery, so he has replaced it.

On loading a film (I wasn't there, so I don't know if he did anything wrong) it wound on to "1" then immediately rewound.

Any ideas whether it might be user error (what could it be) or a problem with the camera?

Thanks

04-29-2011, 03:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Happen twice in app. 14 years of use with mine Simon.Had CR2 lithiums installed.
Has never happened since I picked up battery grip (FG) and used with required AA
cells(4),either alkaline or lithium.Assumed CR2's were in fully charged state when
bought,didnt verify..Did try to 'dig' leader out of canister to try and re-shoot
wasnt able to grab either without damage.Film is still a little suspect, though
it hasnt happened again since BG(FG) was added.
05-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks BillM.

Since my original post I've got my last film back from the camera (before I gave it away) and found that the last few frames suffered a wind-on problem - they overlap slightly. I guess either:

- The film had got sticky having been in the camera for some time,
- The camera wind-on had got a bit sticky, which may or may not sort itself out (or need a service) or
- The wind cog had (as sometimes reported) got brittle and failed when I took the camera out of "moth balls"

I will see how my friend got on with a second attempt to load the camera, and maybe recommend a service - which might not be economic on a camera I just gave him (he's on a fairly tight budget).

Thanks

Simon