Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
What Pentax SLR should I get?

I have a K-5 as my main camera and I have a K1000 for back-to-basics film, but I'd like to get a film camera with autofocus that I can use my FA 50/1.4 and Tamron 28-75 with.

I've never shot film that wasn't all manual (and I can't replace the battery on my K1000, so I don't even have a meter), so I don't know what bells and whistles I might be missing out on, but I'm leaning towards the most bare-bones model I need (read: super cheap), but I'm a little overwhelmed by the options.

Suggestions? Warnings?

Thanks in advance

04-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A zx-5n would probably be a good choice, as it's automatic while still allowing you to switch over to any of the 3 other modes.

There are a few slr's that won't take manual or even A lenses, so stay away from those. There's a comparison chart on mosphotos.com listing those bodies.
04-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #3

Original Poster
Is this what you're referring to?

http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensCompatibility.html

Thanks for the input

Last edited by extravagrant; 04-27-2011 at 03:24 PM.
04-27-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want to check out the PZ-1P, Z1-P.
Also check out the MZ-L, ZX-L. All thes bodies give you Av mode with DA lenses.

04-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by extravagrant Quote
I've never shot film that wasn't all manual (and I can't replace the battery on my K1000, so I don't even have a meter), so I don't know what bells and whistles I might be missing out on, but I'm leaning towards the most bare-bones model I need (read: super cheap), but I'm a little overwhelmed by the options.

Suggestions? Warnings?

Thanks in advance
Suggestion-
Replace the K1000 battery. If you're thinking the battery is irreplaceable due to mercury battery or voltage issues, you're wrong. Modern 1.5v batteries work in ALL Pentax cameras.

I think the body suggestions already given are sound.

Best of Luck!
04-27-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I also found the ZX-L to be the easiest transition from AF DSLRs. They do have a gear that is reputedly a weak spot, but fortunately, they are cheap.
04-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you can compromise on the af, I'd suggest a Super Program or Program Plus as having a nicer feel than the AF bodies, with the ability to shoot any digital/af lenses in at least program mode.

In AF I have the ZX-L and the ZX-10, both for their non crippled mount; the L is noticeably better in some important parameters: adjustability, metering range...

04-28-2011, 07:43 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
Suggestion-
Replace the K1000 battery. If you're thinking the battery is irreplaceable due to mercury battery or voltage issues, you're wrong. Modern 1.5v batteries work in ALL Pentax cameras.

I think the body suggestions already given are sound.

Best of Luck!
No, the battery is irreplaceable because I think the battery in there corroded and I can't open the compartment. I also picked up a Mamiya 645 and I don't have the metering prism for that, so I'm probably just going to get a light meter one of these days. For now, I kind of like the challenge of training my eye to figure out the right exposure value.
04-28-2011, 08:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I've never done this, but have read many others' experiences with removing a corroded battery after soaking the base of the camera in vinegar for a while.
04-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I've never done this, but have read many others' experiences with removing a corroded battery after soaking the base of the camera in vinegar for a while.
it works but don't soak it too long as that starts to damage the chrome. Go ahead, ask me how I know

Another thing that might be worth a try is a WD40 soak.

Also, if you have a spanner wrench where you can get the needles in the battery cover, you can use that to twist if the coin slot is ruined...
04-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
it works but don't soak it too long as that starts to damage the chrome. Go ahead, ask me how I know
That's too bad about the damage. I figured someone with more experience (good or bad) would chime in and give us more info.

Last edited by builttospill; 04-28-2011 at 11:41 AM.
04-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

As it did not loosen the crud, I let it soak over a day as far as I can recall. A couple of hours is fine.
04-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, all. I picked up a ZX-L from KEH