Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-03-2011, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

My new Oly 35RC with my new Pentax MX

After a lot of questions and a lot of searches (thanks to forum members), I've got my Rangefinder Olympus 35RC.
I cleaned the whole body including inside and replaced the needed seals.
Original light seals at the film door was still ok so I just replaced the ones on the film door furrow on the body itself and the velvet on the side of the door by the hinge.
I also replaced the wrist strap since the original one was already brittle. I still used the same hardware and just replaced the strap material itself.
Hinge of the Oly is still broken but I think it will not be an issue as the light seals are tight once film door is closed. Very well sealed indeed that film door doesn't pop open easily.
I bought a flash appropriate for the Oly Rangefinder too and it looks just fab!
Here it is side by side with my "new" Pentax MX. I also cleaned this puppy up and replaced the seals.
Oly doesn't seem to be so small compared to the MX.
Oly is tall and compact and MX is a bit elongated but short.
MX is working as expected and already film tested.
Now, only the Oly needs to be film tested.
I hope you will like the comparison photos.

Attached Images

Last edited by GerryL; 06-22-2011 at 07:52 PM.
05-03-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like the Pentax MX the Olympus 35RC has a "full information" viewfinder, i.e. aperture and shutter speed are displayed.
Though not terribly rare among SLR cameras, this feature is quite uncommon in compact 35mm rangefinders.

Chris
05-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some very nice cameras! I've got a nearly mint MX and a Canonete QL-17, GIII QL that's in approximately mint condition. Love them both. Have fun with your new cameras!
05-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
Forum Member

Nice shot, they look great!

I just got my other MX back from Eric and I started replacing the seals myself in all my other cameras. I'm enjoying that, but have not graduated to lubricating and adjusting anything myself yet.

05-03-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Like the Pentax MX the Olympus 35RC has a "full information" viewfinder, i.e. aperture and shutter speed are displayed.
Though not terribly rare among SLR cameras, this feature is quite uncommon in compact 35mm rangefinders.

Chris
Yes Chris, I like the way I can see what aperture opening the 35RC chooses in the "A" setting "Shutter Priority" mode.
I just wish that this would have a diopter adjustment or diopter attachment since I can't fully appreciate the full display due to farsightedness.
I can focus on the subject just fine but display is very slightly blurred and I don't like using my eyeglass which when I do try to use, the aperture display becomes focused but I need to lift my head up or my eyeglasses up for the shutter display to be clear too since it is at the top of the viewfinder..
05-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by myfotoguy Quote
Nice shot, they look great!

I just got my other MX back from Eric and I started replacing the seals myself in all my other cameras. I'm enjoying that, but have not graduated to lubricating and adjusting anything myself yet.
Thanks Tim!
The MX came from a very nice guy who took good care of it..
I just compared the shutter speed of the MX with my other working cameras and it seemed to be right so I figured that it is only the light seals and mirror bumper that needed attention since the foam has deteriorated and become sticky and crumbling and sticking everywhere including the mirror.
My replacing the seals turned out great 'coz I bought the kit from "Interslice".
After that, I pretty much know what to replace and what to replace it with.
The MX turned out great! Thanks a lot to the previous owner!
That's good to hear that you enjoyed replacing the seals from your other cameras.
No need to lubricate and adjust anything if it doesn't need to..but it is actually better to have it CLA'ed to be working like new!
05-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Makes you apprechiate how small the MX is.

05-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Congrats Gerry!! I'm glad you got a working Oly specimen, I really like those cameras. I'm curious, which one will spend the most time in your pocket?
05-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it is neat to see them side by side like that. last year off ebay i won a brand new in box oly rc35, never opened with the camera still in it's sealed plastic bag. the light seals were mush so i replaced them myself. i used the camera for most of last year as i had a severe right shoulder injury in which i could i could not hold anything heavier to my eye. the oly rc35 was great fun to use and produced some great shots. so now your post has prompted me to buy a fresh wein cell and a roll of kodak ektar and pack my oly rc35 in my bag along side my mx. cheers
05-04-2011, 02:01 AM   #10

Congrats on the Oly. I have one given to me by a combat photographer at Khe Sanh. Had it cla'd and is my prized posession. Here is a short blurb on the photog. Dave Powell. We called him Hollywood Six, everyone else called him Miranda Man.

Unlikely Combat Photographer Documents War's Toll
05-04-2011, 07:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grux Quote
it is neat to see them side by side like that. last year off ebay i won a brand new in box oly rc35, never opened with the camera still in it's sealed plastic bag. the light seals were mush so i replaced them myself. i used the camera for most of last year as i had a severe right shoulder injury in which i could i could not hold anything heavier to my eye. the oly rc35 was great fun to use and produced some great shots. so now your post has prompted me to buy a fresh wein cell and a roll of kodak ektar and pack my oly rc35 in my bag along side my mx. cheers
That is nice to hear since nice cameras like this shouldn't be put away.
I would actually be using more film now than digital.
How I missed using film!
I really like the sound of the 35RC "click" of the shutter being tripped.
The only thing with film now since I got used to digital is I want to use the whole 24 shots of roll in one sitting just so I can see the prints right away..
I actually have better keepers in film than on digital.
The good old days!
Here are some unretouched photos from the MX as CD scanned by my local Walmart (just 5mp, I think).
These where some of my first test shots from it.
Attached Images

05-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruspeed Quote
Congrats Gerry!! I'm glad you got a working Oly specimen, I really like those cameras. I'm curious, which one will spend the most time in your pocket?
If I had the luxury of just taking photos and not have my 9-5 job, then I will gladly sling all my cameras round my neck and just go around town taking snaps..
I might look like a fool..but a happy fool!
Thanks!
05-04-2011, 08:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrickth Quote
Congrats on the Oly. I have one given to me by a combat photographer at Khe Sanh. Had it cla'd and is my prized posession. Here is a short blurb on the photog. Dave Powell. We called him Hollywood Six, everyone else called him Miranda Man.

Unlikely Combat Photographer Documents War's Toll
Very moving and inspirational story Patrick!
Photogs like him have been everywhere risking their lives for the stories that only a picture can tell.
Instead of shooting guns, they where shooting cameras.
I'm glad you shared it!
05-04-2011, 08:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Yup! I'm glad and lucky to have them both..
05-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Every time I'm tempted to move into M mount RF cameras, I am reminded that I won't really save that much space over the MX--not that there aren't other reasons to go there.