Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2011, 08:30 AM   #1
Senior Member
ghl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: California
Posts: 114
A K2 question

I'm considering buying a K2 mainly to have mirror lockup on a film body. I will initially be using M42 lenses on it until I get some M or A lenses. The question I have concerns the aperture priority metering of the K2.


Does the K2 aperture priority (automatic mode) metering rely on the aperture position cam of Kmount lenses in selecting the shutter speed? In other words, will the K2 only be a fully manual stopped down metering camera with an m42 lens mounted or will the aperture priority metering still work with the M42 lens on manual and stopped down to the shooting aperture?


Thanks!

05-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,299
QuoteOriginally posted by ghl Quote
I'm considering buying a K2 mainly to have mirror lockup on a film body. I will initially be using M42 lenses on it until I get some M or A lenses. The question I have concerns the aperture priority metering of the K2.


Does the K2 aperture priority (automatic mode) metering rely on the aperture position cam of Kmount lenses in selecting the shutter speed? In other words, will the K2 only be a fully manual stopped down metering camera with an m42 lens mounted or will the aperture priority metering still work with the M42 lens on manual and stopped down to the shooting aperture?


Thanks!
I don’t have any M42 lenses, but I do have some manual diaphragm lenses which require stop-down metering.

This is how it should work on the K2:

1) Set the K2 shutter speed to Automatic.
2) Set attached lens to the maximum aperture.
3) Compose shot.
4) Set lens to the desired aperture that you want for the shot.
5) Press the shutter.


Phil.
05-05-2011, 11:18 PM   #3
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,264
Add an additional step to Phil's explanation for M42 lenses:
0) Flip A/M switch on lens to the M position...

K and M lenses will work in both Av and M modes. A-series and newer require an aperture ring set in other than in the "A" position.

The manual contains full information on all of the K2's features and may be downloaded from Pentax USA or from the Butkus site:
Pentax K 2 instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

Steve
05-06-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
ghl
Senior Member
ghl's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: California
Posts: 114
Original Poster
Thanks for the help! Seems it should be no problem for Av mode with an M42 lens.

Cheers!

05-08-2011, 04:43 AM   #5
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,211
The K2 is one of the better k-mount film bodies Pentax ever built. It is kind of like the ES I or II with a metal shutter and k-mount. It was the fruition of the Metallica II prototype that Pentax unveiled in 1966.
05-08-2011, 04:45 AM   #6
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,211
QuoteOriginally posted by ghl Quote
Thanks for the help! Seems it should be no problem for Av mode with an M42 lens.

Cheers!
The m42 lenses need to be operated in the m position and will use stop down metering rather than open aperture metering.
05-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #7
Senior Member
Kim C's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 229
Alternatively, if you want to download the manual with slightly better scans, try my website here

Pentax Manuals

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The manual contains full information on all of the K2's features and may be downloaded from Pentax USA or from the Butkus site:
Pentax K 2 instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

Steve
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, k2, lens, lenses, m42, priority, question
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-x AF Question benjikan Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 04-07-2010 10:41 PM
FA 28-70/f4 question TTQ225 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 11-29-2009 03:23 AM
K7 question dafiryde Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 08-14-2009 10:18 AM
K7 question dafiryde Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 07-17-2009 06:05 PM
Question about K20D ddjchemist Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 05-14-2009 07:23 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:37 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top