Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-08-2011, 07:53 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by artobest Quote
My take. I'd like to see an international moratorium on the word 'sucks'.
I'm with you on that one, but I don't care much for the shutter speed buttons, either.

06-09-2011, 06:12 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by artobest:
My take. I'd like to see an international moratorium on the word 'sucks'.
It is a single-syllable verb with the common meaning "disagreeable to the speaker". It carries its meaning with precision and economy, and fully accords with the standard English subject-verb sentence pattern. What are you complaining about, exactly?
06-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by asaru Quote
It is a single-syllable verb with the common meaning "disagreeable to the speaker". It carries its meaning with precision and economy, and fully accords with the standard English subject-verb sentence pattern. What are you complaining about, exactly?
Only in American English. In English English sucking is what a vacuum cleaner or a baby does. Hence, the tag-line "Electrolux Sucks" was not one which made the transition from the UK to the US with any success...
06-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As a Connecticut Yankee, every time I saw one of those ads, I'd laugh out loud.

Best to all,
Kevin

06-10-2011, 10:42 PM   #35
Veteran Member

To some extent, it is an age and location thing. When I was growing up in the 50s and 60s, to say someone "sucked" usually required an object to the verb, and the meaning wasn't pretty on a number of levels.