Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
Forum Member

MX or ME Super

I have an MX CLA'd by Eric and an ME Super (I have a seal kit for this one I am going to install). In your experience, which is functionally the better handling camera. Assuming everything functions as it should.

I may hang on to both, but may not be able to. I will likely come to my own opinion after using them both. However, I am interested to hear from folks that have used them any nuances or things they have discovered while using them that may provide some insight.

05-06-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I've previously owned both, and while each was a great camera I had a strong preference for the MX. The mechanical shutter, depth of field preview, and what was for me an exceptionally accurate meter.

I look back on the ME Super fondly, but I sold it. I'd still have my two MX cameras if it hadn't been for a fire.

My $.02
05-06-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks NbyNW.

All: Sorry, I did post this before searching (oops). I see there are many threads that look like they will provide good insight.
05-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi, Myfo,
I had an ME super from new for about 15 years till I accidentally left its bag under the wheels of a boat trailer....
I used its "revolutionary pushbutton manual mode" (see the instruction book) mostly.
The tiny white "exposure mode index button" made it difficult to switch back to auto so I got to like manual shutter speed setting and still do.
Pentax was a well known Japan brand in Australia then and I recall the MX was regarded more a professional grade than the ME.

Now I have a reconditioned black MX, with its simpler, fully manual controls and a " Horizontal-run rubberized silk focal plane shutter" with completely adequate, but much less speed range than the ME super.

You should: Keep them both!
And I trust you will repair the ME successfully.

ps
A good vintage flash for both of these, if available, is the triangle shaped AF16 flash (not AF160) which had a cable to the X socket, allowing the flash to be on a flash grip - much better than the hot shoe. I am not sure when the X socket was discontinued by Pentax.

05-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Functionally, the ME Super is probably the better handling of the two; but I much prefer the MX. I own and use both, but I almost always grab the MX first because shooting film isn't just about functionality, it's more about slowing down and experiencing the joy of using film. The MX is a more enjoyable camera for many.

My verdict: keep both.
05-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Keep 'em both Tim.
Even if you sell the ME, it won't be too much money.
I don't have the ME or ME super but I do have the Super Program which is a newer version of the ME super.
If I don't want to fuss and set most everything on auto, then the Super Program is it but without batteries, thing thing (Super Program and Super-A) is dead in the water.
The good thing about the MX is that it is mechanical and reliable.
The DOF preview button on the MX too is cool since it is integrated on the timer lever (I only recently found out about this..cool! )!
05-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'd probably keep both, because as long as I've got fewer bodies than the types of flim I shoot, I can use it.

If I were to keep or carry one, it would be the MX. It is one of the best camera designs ever, IMO. I'm also not as partial to the up-down buttons of the ME as the traditional wheel of the MX.

Last edited by GeneV; 05-08-2011 at 03:31 PM.
05-08-2011, 06:50 PM - 1 Like   #8

Keep the MX! - the only film SLR you need.
05-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
I use an ME Super and AF160. I tend to shoot on Aperture Priority only. The camera is the best I have ever owned. I inherited it from my father who bought it new back in the 80's. I just installed a new light seal kit. Was very easy to do. It has a mechanical speed of 1/125 which is super.

I tried using an MX in a camera shop a few months ago, and found the dials difficult to turn. I tend to do a lot of cold weather work, with large mittens or gloves on, and could not imagine being able to turn those dials, so I opted out of buying it. I love the idea of full mechanical but my choice is still the ME Super.
05-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, keeping 'em both sounds like a good idea.

Thanks,
Tim
05-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For me, the MX's viewfinder was simply too big. If not for that, I'd say it's the winner.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-09-2011, 05:57 AM   #12

I have both cameras. The ME Super is an idiosyncratic camera but is the easier to handle camera in the field. Shooting aperture priority is faster than full manual any day.
05-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #13

MX - Interchangeable focus screens, fully mechanical amogst the other features listed above.
MES- The auto mode.

Film cameras are so cheap these days, if you have both I would keep both. I have used both and don't really like either. For auto etc, I prefer the Super A and for fully manual, the KX as it has mirror lock up and better finder layout. Still both are beaten by the LX LOL.

Kim
05-09-2011, 12:03 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I'd also suggest you keep your LX listed in the marketplace.
05-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would say, MX is the better camera, but the ME-super is the more convenient camera.