Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2011, 01:30 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd suggest you keep both of those, pull the market place one, get a KM and a KX and just rotate-and-use all of them...

05-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kim C Quote
I have used both and don't really like either. For auto etc, I prefer the Super A and for fully manual, the KX as it has mirror lock up and better finder layout...
Ha! Ha! I also have used both the MX and ME Super came up cold. I own the Super Program (Super A), but prefer my Ricoh XR7. My KX is nice, but push come to shove my other Ricoh (XR-2s) gets more use. I guess it goes to show that there is no accounting for taste

Steve
05-09-2011, 10:14 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks so much everyone. I appreciate the time taken to respond to my posts. As many of you know I inherited a bunch of gear and I am in the ongoing process of deciding what to keep and use, what to sell, what to collect, etc.

For those that don't know, I also inherited some medium format gear so along with the 35mm stuff I have some medium format as well.

Part of me wants to use the gear once in a while, and the other part of me feels that if I shoot film I should just go with the medium format.

It certainly doesn't hurt to keep any of it around, but anything I sell I would use the money to put toward gear that I will use with my main kit (DSLR).

So.... thanks for putting up with me and being so helpful while I try and decide what to do.
05-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #19

Photos: Albums
Its interesting that I saw this post as I was sitting here with my MX and ME Super right in front of me. These are definately two of my favorite cameras. The ME Super is getting a lot of use lately, because the Av mode is so handy for street photography, but for overall control, I love the MX. I don't think either of these will be going away soon. Just shoot the daylights out fo both of them and pretty soon, you will find yourself gravitating toward one over the other. There are collectors all over the place that will say the MX is vastly superior in every way, but if you want to focus your efforts on Medium Format or Digital, then find the one that you enjoy shooting and keep it around.

05-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Either with a Takumar Fisheye lens is probably the smallest fisheye combination but certainly the ME Super is more convenient to use when using these none auto lenses.

M42 to K Mount adapter required of course.
05-21-2011, 12:42 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why were "Takumar" and "Asahi" erased on that great lens?
05-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My take. The shutter-speed buttons on the MEsuper suck. The fact you can only shoot at 125 on the MEsuper in a battery shutdown sucks. The lack of DOF preview on the MEsuper sucks. As regards size, MEsuper > MX. Otherwise, MEsuper ~ MX. But overall, still MX > MEsuper.

05-21-2011, 06:57 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
Why were "Takumar" and "Asahi" erased on that great lens?
I picked that up for such a great price, I never even asked why since it was otherwise in perfect shape. I have recently seen others similarly disfigured. That and engraving just puzzles me!

Chris may be on to it but I am certain that only applied to civilians returning from the area
05-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I picked that up for such a great price, I never even asked why since it was otherwise in perfect shape. I have recently seen others similarly disfigured. That and engraving just puzzles me!

Chris may be on to it but I am certain that only applied to civilians returning from the area
I have heard Chris' explanation before and I have also heard that the defacement was an attempt to avoid paying full duty. I have also heard that these were gray market (white box) lenses brought into the country in violation of Honeywell's exclusive import agreement for under the counter distribution. Can we add theft avoidance as well? Sort of like how bike messengers intentionally deface their high-end rides to make them less attractive to thieves. Finally, there is the rumor that these are factory rejects sold as seconds on the Asian market.

Final analysis? If the lens is cheap or free or comes with a desired body, give it a try. If not, why bother?

Steve
06-02-2011, 08:18 AM   #25

It realy depends....

Having MX and ME Super in most cases I prefere the MX using fast primes and am microprism screen but if you need to decide to have only one, go for the SuperA, because it can handle DA lens as well and for example the DA10-17 is really great if you zoom to the full screen length.

Last week I made oldtimer pictures with my SuperA using a Samyang 85/1,4 and a Sigma 24/1,8 on FP4Plus - it's simply an different way of fotography than digital

Greetings from Germany
Klaus
06-04-2011, 07:53 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I sold both MX and ME S and now only use auto focus cameras. I still have ME and Nikon FE but they have not been used for over 20 years.
06-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #27
brh

QuoteOriginally posted by klaus123 Quote
in most cases I prefere the MX using fast primes and am microprism screen
Are you using the SA-32 or SA-37? Both of those are for the LX, I'm curious if metering is an issue if you are in fact using one of them…!
06-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asaru Quote
My take. The shutter-speed buttons on the MEsuper suck. The fact you can only shoot at 125 on the MEsuper in a battery shutdown sucks. The lack of DOF preview on the MEsuper sucks.
My take. I'd like to see an international moratorium on the word 'sucks'.
06-08-2011, 03:30 AM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by brh Quote
Are you using the SA-32 or SA-37? Both of those are for the LX, I'm curious if metering is an issue if you are in fact using one of them…!

I used SA 21 & 23 - but mainly B&W - therfore i found no significant impact
06-08-2011, 05:09 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I have three working ME Supers (and my original one from 1982 which is now defunct) and two MXs so I guess I am in the keep 'em both camp. I do, however, use my LX more than any of them.

Kris.