Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #16
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
Thanks, those are good quality, what kind of resolution did they give you? I'm hoping digital will be my primary storage.
The scans are 2 to 3mb each.

Phil.

05-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
There was a brown K1000 SE as well.

The beast in all it's glory:

Kim

@ Kim that's funny, the ME SE was the only Pentax I'd seen with the brown leather.
Attached Images

05-10-2011, 07:55 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
In general, virtually all photo-processors that are left in business, except the high-end, uber-expensive custom shops, use the same automated film processors. Therefore, there isn't going to be much difference in the quality.
Ummm...yes, that is true, to a certain point. There are mini labs and there are mini labs. Some are more mini than others and the processors span several brands. That being said, C41 is hardly rocket science and all should provide equivalent results ASSUMING that the machines are properly maintained and solutions are replenished according to schedule.

I was using my local Costco for my processing until I started getting poorly developed film. All indicators pointed to depleted developer. There was also scum residue on some of the frames. After a couple of non-productive talks with the photo manager, I took a couple of rolls to Target. Despite a much smaller machine (Costco has a HUGE Noritsu), the Target lab did a better job.

I would have continued to use Target except that I found that my friendly local camera store (Knight Camera in Vancouver) would provide processing through the pro lab at Blue Moon in Portland for less than I was paying at Target. The clincher is that Blue Moon will process with no prints, no scans, and NO CUT. Yes, the film comes back uncut in a nice little cardboard box. I can then determine the number of frames per strip so that they fit in my sleeves. Since I started using a lab that services local pros and photo artists, the results are consistently good and I am a happy camper.

The bottom line is that excellence and accountability need not be expensive.

Steve
05-11-2011, 03:43 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kim C Quote
There was a brown K1000 SE as well.

The beast in all it's glory:

Kim

05-11-2011, 04:05 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
^ I had a similar experience with my wedding photos. My friend the "professional photographer" took my pictures and gave me picture CD's at my request and did God knows what with the negatives. They were all scanned at approximately 2MP like DanWeso's experience. If that's the standard, I'll use my flatbed at home.

@ Kim that's funny, the ME SE was the only Pentax I'd seen with the brown leather.
I was kind of thinking the file size would be around 2 MB, however what I got were 400 - 700 KB in size. Could this be because I only ordered 4" prints? Analog to digital is new to me so I'm not sure what to expect.
05-11-2011, 05:19 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm guessing the commercial machines they develop with have that low-res scanning capability built in. Private labs like Dwaynes probably run the negs through a actual film scanner. This obviously takes more time and labor.

This lab:
: C41 Film Processing, B&W Film Processing, E6 Processing, Proof Sheets, Process & Scan, Process & Print – A&I
actually lets you select the resolution, but their lowest resolution is a 6MB JPEG, which is very hight res according to this:
Megapixel Calculator - digital camera resolution | web.forret.com
05-11-2011, 06:01 AM   #22

That would agree with what is generally available in the UK. I think for most people, relatively low res scans ie around 2 Mb is fine as they tend to use them on the PC or in electronic frames. This is the sort of service I would expect from a Mall type lab.

As a matter of interest I checked the service from a pro lab I use for film:

CD Image Approx image size 6.2Mb JPEG Pixel Dimensions 1800 x 1200 Optimum Print size 6 x 4
CD Archive Approx image size 14.0Mb JPEG Pixel Dimensions 2700 x 1800 Optimum Print size 9 x 6
CD Archive Gold Approx image size 24.8Mb JPEG Pixel Dimensions 3600 x 2400 Optimum Print size 12 x 8
CD Archive Platinum Approx image size 38.6Mb JPEG Pixel Dimensions 4500 x 3000 Optimum Print size 15 x 10

As a matter of interest, I just checked on the scans I get from the Nikon 8000ED for MF. These are around 13000 x 9000 pixels and are about 24 Mb each.

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by DanWeso Quote
I was kind of thinking the file size would be around 2 MB, however what I got were 400 - 700 KB in size. Could this be because I only ordered 4" prints? Analog to digital is new to me so I'm not sure what to expect.
05-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My ME SE arrived last night and my wife really liked it. Even though it was super inexpensive I was worried about her reaction but she seemed to understand and agree with my reasons and thought it was very cool.

The camera looks like it's in really good shape, actually. The black painted trim is only worn in a couple of spots, and the aluminum (I assume it's aluminum) is really clean. I think it has been serviced at some point because one of the screws on the bottom isn't seated back down all the way.

The mirror bumper is showing signs of degradation but it's hasn't "vomited" all over the focusing screen yet - it's still pristine. The rest of the padding and light seals are virtually gone, so I'll be waiting for my seal kit to come in before shooting anything.

The shutter works great, though the batteries are dead, so it's only firing at 1/100 but the mechanics of it appear to be good. I'll get some batteries today to test the meter. The ebay auction said the meter worked, but I wonder how they tested if the batteries are dead.

As much as I love the brown leather, it's a good thing cameraleather.com doesn't have any white recovering products, because it would be just too cool to make this thing match my K-x.