Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2011, 03:48 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
LX value?

How much should I have to pay for a decent LX these days?

05-12-2011, 05:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

US$500 or less. Depends on condition and whether it is a newer or early model.

Regards

Chris
05-12-2011, 05:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

There's one for $330 and one for over $600 on KEH.
On eBay, recently sold ones range from $194 to $526, with several around $250. The one for $194 had no caps, box or any meaningful description, and every single picture was blurry.
05-12-2011, 05:49 AM   #4

Hi Chris, Long time no see!

The biggest question is when it was last serviced. A good service will be around $100US and will last around 20 years. After that you are likely to get the sticky mirror problem etc.

The later versions are slightly better but there is not all that much difference.

Kim

05-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #5

It's not really a "rebuild. It is caused by the breakdown of the seals which go gooey and cause the shutter to hang if it hasn't been used for a while.

The main reason that the CLA on the LX is so much is due to the seals. They are made of special material and are extensive. I wouldn't call it WR but it it was way before it's time in that respect.

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
FWIW the sticky mirror syndrome is cancer and requires rebuild. To be on the safe side a full overhaul is recommended.
IIRC Eric charges around $180 for this service. This is much more involved than CLA, which costs half that for most Pentax models.

Chris
05-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Back before the internet, and before I had ever heard of "sticky mirror", I noticed that one of my 3 LX bodies had developed a curious problem where the center of the viewfinder image was in focus, but the top and bottom were slightly out of focus. This was also coincident with the mirror hanging for a few moments when pressing the shutter button the first time after the camera had been at rest for a while.
Inspecting the inside of the mirror box, I noticed that the rubber bumper that the mirror sat on when at rest had biodegraded.
I removed the bumper and cleaned it's holder and cut a small piece of rubber from an old motorcycle inner tube which I cemented to the holder.
I also noticed that the holder was held on by 2 screws and could be adjusted slightly, so I was able to bring the focus back as well.
This cured what I later found was called "sticky mirror" on my LX body.
I know there is lots of other stuff to go wrong in an LX, the aperture follower resistor and ISO resistor are both prone to corrosion (cured, I believe on later versions when they switched to gold wire from copper), but in my particular instance, the sticky mirror thing turned out to be relatively painless and simple to resolve.
05-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I've owned a couple of LXs...I bought a S/H one....liked it so much, I bought a new one....sold it a long time ago.....but I've kept my eye on them.
Like a lot of "Special" items, cars (my REAL passion!) included, prices of these things can vary MASSIVELY according to condition....I mean you might have a mint unit in a box etc, & it could very easily be worth five times more than one which is well used with brassing, marks etc.
So, as far as price is concerned with an LX.....it depends what sort of LX you want.
Cheers, Pickles.
05-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Depends on you how much you want to pay.
It is a matter of whether you really need it or not.
I want an LX 'coz it's so purdy but with the prices they are going for, I can go get with ugly..
If I can get an LX for less than $100, then that is the price I am willing to pay without any second thoughts.
I've followed some on eBay but after the price went over a $100, I just deleted them on my watch list.
You can say that I am more practical, I'd rather buy a DSLR or lens for the price of $300-$500 than an LX for the same price

05-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Depends on you how much you want to pay.
It is a matter of whether you really need it or not.
I want an LX 'coz it's so purdy but with the prices they are going for, I can go get with ugly..
If I can get an LX for less than $100, then that is the price I am willing to pay without any second thoughts.
I've followed some on eBay but after the price went over a $100, I just deleted them on my watch list.
You can say that I am more practical, I'd rather buy a DSLR or lens for the price of $300-$500 than an LX for the same price
Well.

An LX for $500 or $600 in good working order will probably be working and working well long after the current whiz-bang digital machines have gone to the great beyond. As an owner of a LX and a K-10d I'd run into a burning house to save my LX rather than my K-10. The LX has "soul," the '10 is just a machine.

Or are you putting us on??
05-22-2011, 03:17 PM   #10

First time around I spent about 100$ because I found some problems (on an otherwise pristine camera which still had protective plastic on the bottom plate), so the camera store lowered the price. It would have gone for 250$ otherwise, but I still believe they had no idea what kind of camera that was. Unfortunately that one got stolen along with other stuff in my car.
Fast forward to three years later — earlier this year — I managed to find a decent one for about 270$.
05-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #11

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just saw this one on Ebay. This is definitely the best one I have seen on ebay.
Pentax LX 35mm SLR Film Camera | eBay
05-25-2011, 06:22 AM   #12

The later versions are better if you can find one

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by Limpy Quote
Just saw this one on Ebay. This is definitely the best one I have seen on ebay.
Pentax LX 35mm SLR Film Camera | eBay
05-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Two in the Photographic Trader down here - different sellers - have the oddly precise figure of $390AU on them.
05-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Don't pay more than fifty bucks for a Pentax LX. After all, it's just a film camera.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 05-25-2011 at 08:10 PM.
05-28-2011, 08:57 AM   #15

A few months a go I got a bargain one sans viewfinder from KEH for $150. I got a finder from ebay for $75. Works like a charm. I think I may have bought mine at a low part of the cycle; prices seem to be creeping back up.