Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #1

Tools for K1000 dissection

I've got two old K1000 bodies I bought to learn about the crummy meter in these cameras before I futz with the meter in my good body. While I have an assortment of tools such as small screwdrivers, lens spanners, soldering iron and electrical meter, is there any specific tools I'll need to take a body apart? I believe I may have to buy a new set of tips for one of my spanners from the look of the speed dial, but is there anything else I may need? THX.

05-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moving this to the film slr section

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm interested too. There are plenty of jewelers' screwdrivers and lens spanners on ebay for sale, and I don't really know which one to choose and why.
05-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I would suggest Micro Tools:
Micro-Tools, Camera & Watch Repair Tools - Home
They have a comprehensive selection of tools appropriate for servicing cameras.

I would be remiss if I did not add a caution about screw types on Japanese cameras. The screws that appear to be Phillips head are not. The are JIS cross-point and are made to a different standard than Phillips. While a JIS driver can be safely used with a Phillips screw, the opposite is not true. So unless you are willing to risk stripping the screw heads, investment in JIS drivers is wise.

Steve

05-15-2011, 07:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for that heads up on the screw types. This is something that has never been mentioned to me before. Good tip. (Pun unavoidable.)
05-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wacrider Quote
Thanks for that heads up on the screw types. This is something that has never been mentioned to me before. Good tip. (Pun unavoidable.)
My pleasure. BTW, Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve
05-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you can get a copy of "Camera Maintenance and Repair, Book 2 by Thomas Tomosy", it has a section on K1000 disassembly. There are some LEFT handed thread screws to deal with and the meter movement is of unusual construction. He includes detail about working on the meter. Good luck.
05-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the heads up on the book and screws.

05-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Here is the K1000 Service Manual: Pentax K1000 Service Manual. This will guide you through disassembly and let you know which screws turn the opposite direction for removal.

I've taken apart a few K1000s and they're not too difficult, but this manual definitely helps.
05-17-2011, 06:33 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for the manual. I can't believe what some people are asking for that repair book.

Wayne