Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2011, 03:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,047
..and what they cost in '76




KM w/f/1.4 = $261.50, w/1.2 = $325.50
KX w/f/1.4 = $293.11
K2 2/f/1.4 = $391.50, w/1.2 = $454.50

Spotmatic F f/2 = $199.50, f/1.8 = $213.50, f/1.4 = $239
ES II f/2 = $325, f/1.8 = $335

SMC Takumars: 24/3.5 = $149, 35/2 = $152, 85/1.8 = $149.50, 135/2.5 = $137.50

By comparison they made you call for Nikon/Nikkormat, Minolta XE-7 f/1.4 = $378.95, Olympus OM1d f/1.4 $279.50, and they made you call for most Canons.

05-13-2011, 06:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian
aurele's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,967
it seems not expensive, except that the average annual wage was 3700$, in France, in 1976. (i think it was likely the same in USA.)

So a Kx w/ 50mm 1.4 was worth a month of wage ... that's a lot !
05-13-2011, 07:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,047
Original Poster
What cost $400 in 1976 would cost $1514.66 in 2010.
05-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
Junior Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The Biggest Little City in the World
Photos: Albums
Posts: 44
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
What cost $400 in 1976 would cost $1514.66 in 2010.
Would that be due to inflation or current market trend?

05-13-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,047
Original Poster
That was via one of the online inflation calculators. It is interesting to note that in constant dollars, the top grade prosumer SLR is sold at about similar price levels throughout - and I've checked this for other years as well. Something about the market
05-13-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,452
QuoteOriginally posted by Bruspeed Quote
Would that be due to inflation or current market trend?
That would be based on either purchasing power or inflation. In 1976, $10K USD per year household income would have placed you solidly in the (upper?) middle class. A new KX with 50/1.4 would have been more than a month's take-home wages for myself at the time. I think I was making $2.50 an hour working counter at an auto parts store. I guess that explains why it was more than a decade before I upgraded from the Singlex TLS I bought in 1971!


Steve
05-13-2011, 07:56 AM   #7
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,452
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Something about the market
Yep, ability to pay tends to affect price.


Steve
05-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Ryan Trevisol's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 308
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
it seems not expensive, except that the average annual wage was 3700$, in France, in 1976. (i think it was likely the same in USA.)

So a Kx w/ 50mm 1.4 was worth a month of wage ... that's a lot !
That's interesting. Being that the KX was the advanced-amateur model of the day, And the 1.4 was the upgraded kit lens of the day, I'd say you could compare that to a K-R and a 16-45 f4 lens today.

Retail of a K-R body is $600, and the lens can be picked up new under $400. If you make, say $35,000 a year, that's about one paycheck.

The argument could really be made that your money buys you more these days. Interesting.

05-13-2011, 09:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member
jsherman999's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,228
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
That's interesting. Being that the KX was the advanced-amateur model of the day, And the 1.4 was the upgraded kit lens of the day, I'd say you could compare that to a K-R and a 16-45 f4 lens today.

Retail of a K-R body is $600, and the lens can be picked up new under $400. If you make, say $35,000 a year, that's about one paycheck.

The argument could really be made that your money buys you more these days. Interesting.
Yes, it could be made.... When I was looking for the M 20 f/4, I happened to look up it's initial price and was surprised to find that it would be (wholesale price) around $900, something like $1300 retail if it were sold today, based on inflation alone.

I personally remember film SLRs as being something the rich folks seemed to have back in the day Either that, or they were something you had to save for for a while.


.
05-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member
Ryan Trevisol's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: South Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 308
Oh definitely. We were fairly poor growing up (in the 80s) and I know my dad only had his AE-1 because it was something he made money off of. When he got his (film) EOS it was a major purchase that had to be budgeted, and he had to trade in the AE-1 (sob) to get it.

And though I'm better off now than my parents were when I was a kid, I still wouldn't have all the gear I have if it didn't make me money. I'd probably still have a K100D and I wouldn't have the nice lenses I have now.
05-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,452
QuoteOriginally posted by Ryan Trevisol Quote
Being that the KX was the advanced-amateur model of the day,
Sort of...The K2 was the flagship with the KX sharing the spotlight as the pro model by virtue of its SPD metering (most cameras of the day had a less sensitive CdS cell), extended ISO range, and full-information viewfinder. Both were available with motor drive support. The KM filled the advanced amateur slot and was strictly equivalent to a Spotmatic with open-aperture metering.


Steve


BTW...I consider the KM to be the value queen of the K-series bodies. Much better than a K1000 and cheaper too on today's market.
05-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #12
Site Supporter
gofour3's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 5,341
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sort of...The K2 was the flagship with the KX sharing the spotlight as the pro model by virtue of its SPD metering (most cameras of the day had a less sensitive CdS cell), extended ISO range, and full-information viewfinder. Both were available with motor drive support. The KM filled the advanced amateur slot and was strictly equivalent to a Spotmatic with open-aperture metering.


Steve


BTW...I consider the KM to be the value queen of the K-series bodies. Much better than a K1000 and cheaper too on today's market.
Yep I would agree with that, the KM is a gem. Seems to be the forgotten K series body though.

Phil.
05-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #13
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yep, ability to pay tends to affect price.


Steve
Manufacturing capability (technology etc.) and manufacturing costs also have changed a lot which makes it tricky to use just straight inflation. I think that inflation factor just gets lucky. I can't even imagine what it would cost to build a K-5 in 1976. Some of the glass was very very costly to manufacture as well (lanthanum etc).

Its interesting that the K2 with a k 50/1.2 went for 454.50. I can remember looking through my grandfather's 47th Street and Abe's of Maine's listings.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
f/1.4, f/1.8, f/2
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature this lens cost me 0.99 JesusOutlaw Post Your Photos! 3 05-31-2010 06:29 PM
What did the k-7 cost when released? alehel Pentax DSLR Discussion 3 02-28-2010 04:42 AM
Cost to repair FA 28-70 AL F4 Mikeyew Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 11-06-2009 12:39 PM
It cost how much? graphicgr8s General Talk 91 10-30-2009 11:38 AM
Cost breakdown K7 cupic Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 06-25-2009 07:04 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:05 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top