Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
Pentaxian

ME Super shutter problem

I searched all over, but couldn't find an answer. I bought an ME Super from myfotoguy (I knew the condition - he was an awesome seller). He said the advance lever wouldn't move. I found online that the 2nd curtain can get stuck - which it did. I fixed that, but now the shutter won't cock. The advance lever moves freely, but the shutter won't cock. I took the bottom plate off to inspect, but found nothing out of the ordinary. I have never taken a camera apart though.

I've read online of people getting the shutter to cock after several tries, but I get nothing.

05-18-2011, 03:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
this may help - and thank you for the impetus, as I also have a ME Super that locked up... and I just haven't had the interest to try to unravel

Favorite Classics > Pentax ME Super Ramblings
05-18-2011, 04:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Haha thanks. I'm not going to lie. I bought the camera because of the strap attached to it. But anyway, I figured $25 isn't bad for a strap and I get a free camera! I am a car technician, but it still looks a little daunting taking a camera apart ...
05-18-2011, 11:01 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Most people find that with the first one and then they end up with a box of bits

The second has a chance of working and then it starts to become much easier!

As far as the MES is concerned, if it is an interlink problem (and under the bottom plate is where to solve that), you have a chance of getting to work again. If it is a shutter problem, forget it! Most pro repair guys I know hate the MES because of the "usual" fault with them and there haven't been any spares for a very long time.

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by gtxtom Quote
Haha thanks. I'm not going to lie. I bought the camera because of the strap attached to it. But anyway, I figured $25 isn't bad for a strap and I get a free camera! I am a car technician, but it still looks a little daunting taking a camera apart ...

05-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I've actually been getting the shutter to fire more and more. I can tell when it's cocked, but I don't know what fell into place properly that time.
05-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gtxtom Quote
I've actually been getting the shutter to fire more and more. I can tell when it's cocked, but I don't know what fell into place properly that time.
Seems like a good sign! With stuck/hindered shutter (from grime & dirt) you probably wouldn't see any other mechanics 'drop into place', those parts are working. A through CLA may fix it throughly...
05-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I got it to fire every time now. There's a spray lube at my work called Kluberplex. It's some german lube that we use on MINIs when the sunroofs get stuck closed in the heat.

Every time I hit the shutter release though, I have to hit the camera with my palm or I can't move the advance lever.

With the bottom cover removed, if I move the wind lock (shown in the picture below) away from the gear or towards the back of the camera, the advance lever will operate normally. Anyone know how to fix that?

05-19-2011, 06:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok. I've gotten a little farther. Now I'm at the point where I can move the advance lever about 2/3 of its travel and then the wind lock locks the cam too early. I can manually move the wind lock and move the advance lever the rest of its travel. Here's a video of what I'm talking about:

ME Super advance problem | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I took off the mechanism that's held on by the 3 screws on the left of the picture in the post above the other day, but I'm pretty sure I put everything back the way it should have been.

05-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wow! I have the same problem, have to wahck the camera once or twice to cock the shutter
05-20-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's working as designed for now. Well for the most part. My co-worker gave it a shot and he fixed it in like 3 minutes. He said he bent the other end of the wind lock some way. Either way, right now, the advance lever goes through its whole motion 97% of the time and the shutter fires every time (although the first time after sitting for a while, it will hang up for a moment before firing).

LOL such a temperamental camera! I do love how small it is and how awesome the viewfinder and focus screen are!