Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2015, 04:58 AM   #256

I love my big, ugly D700. A big, ugly F100 might compliment your D700 very nicely. Oops!

05-10-2015, 07:31 PM   #257
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

Black and silver ME Supers

Black and silver MEFs

A Super A and a Super Program

Two LXs
05-10-2015, 11:21 PM   #258
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
Black and silver ME Supers

Black and silver MEFs

A Super A and a Super Program

Two LXs
Black ME-Fs are pretty uncommon. I have a silver one I use with my AF35-70. K.
05-11-2015, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #259
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax LX unique qualities

Fullsize -> Interchangeable VFs

Some unique qualities of the Pentax LX, relative to the other interchangeable viewfinder body types that I have:
  1. Smallest
  2. Lightest
  3. Most weatherproof
  4. Most viewfinder options
  5. Shutter lock can lock out the shutter as well as hold the shutter down for long manual exposures
  6. Forward and backward accurate frame selection for multi-exposure
  7. Needs no viewfinder blind
  8. Metering is visible without any viewfinder attached
  9. Meter is active even in MLU mode
  10. Widest unassisted exposure range of EV -6.5 to EV 20.
  11. Aperture priority auto expose for as long as it takes - or batteries die, while monitoring the scene in realtime and adjusting shutter duration accordingly

Pentax LX viewfinder options also have diopter adjustments

Fullsize -> Pentax LX viewfinders

05-11-2015, 09:20 AM   #260
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

MEFs

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Black ME-Fs are pretty uncommon. I have a silver one I use with my AF35-70. K.
Yes, uncommon. ( Boz's K-mount site link - ME F )

I find that the MEF is a fun body to use, whether it's with an MF lens, for focus confirmation (and I do like the beep as well as the light for that) or whether it's with its only AF lens, the AF 35-70/2.8 zoom, for "full" AF. [And, of course, when you're looking through the viewfinder, it doesn't matter whether you have a silver one or a black one - (smile).]

Of course, when I said "an MF lens", that would include all the F and FA lenses, too, since they aren't actually AF lenses when mounted on an MEF any more than they are when mounted on, say, an ME Super - (chuckle).

Looking back, it is too bad that Pentax was once a true AF pioneer, yet it let other makers jump way out ahead of it in the hectic AF market of the 1980's...
05-11-2015, 09:36 AM   #261
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fwcetus Quote
Looking back, it is too bad that Pentax was once a true AF pioneer, yet it let other makers jump way out ahead of it in the hectic AF market of the 1980's...
Pentax also pioneered TTL and spot metering (Spot-Matic 1960) but the 1963 Topcon Super D (RE Super) was first to make TTL metering into production ahead of the 1964 Pentax Spotmatic.
05-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #262
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Pentax also pioneered TTL and spot metering
The prototype did indeed have spot metering, but the production models (fortunately, IMHO) did not.

Steve
05-11-2015, 02:05 PM   #263
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The prototype did indeed have spot metering, but the production models (fortunately, IMHO) did not.
Steve
I agree because technology then would probably have resulted in a very fat spot meter that used CDS cels which would not be as useful to me today. Also, spot metering would require a bit more know how to use so it is just as well Pentax didn't go that route.

05-11-2015, 02:44 PM   #264
Veteran Member

I agree because technology then would probably have resulted in a very fat spot meter that used CDS cels which would not be as useful to me today. Also, spot metering would require a bit more know how to use so it is just as well Pentax didn't go that route.
Nevertheless, Canon implemented a semispotmeter in 1971 in the F1 and FTB and it was a very popular feature, the spotmeter of the Leica M5 is also the best part of the camera.
05-11-2015, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #265
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Nevertheless, Canon implemented a semispotmeter in 1971 in the F1 and FTB and it was a very popular feature, the spotmeter of the Leica M5 is also the best part of the camera.
The 1966 Mamiya 500 & 1000 DTL had a switch for spot and average meter.

05-11-2015, 06:49 PM   #266
Site Supporter

IIRC the Mamiya ads at the time plugged this as "The Creative Switch".

In the early 1970's as a young teenager (before I owned any 35mm SLR) the Mamiya/Sekor 1000DTL was my dream camera...

Chris
05-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #267
Site Supporter

Though the spot metering is sort of hokey. The "spot" is not at center, but resides at the middle of the frame bottom margin. The area is delineated by frame lines in the viewfinder. As a result, you meter and re-compose.

Steve
05-14-2015, 11:52 AM   #268
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
In the early 1970's as a young teenager (before I owned any 35mm SLR) the Mamiya/Sekor 1000DTL was my dream camera...
Same here, though it was just out of reach price-wise. I would also have liked a Yashica TL Electro-X, but settled for a Ricoh Singlex. The irony is that the Singlex proved to be the more robust of the three. A few years ago I was able to purchase a pristine 1000 DTL. It is a nice camera, but required a full rewiring before the meter would work. Apparently they are prone to failed solder joints.

Steve
05-14-2015, 12:39 PM   #269
Site Supporter

Ones I use:
K2
6x7 (Original non-MLU version.)
Canon FTbn (I hate film loading on this camera. Their "quick load" system always leaves me unsure if the film has properly been pulled onto the take-up spool until after I've taken several shots.)
Zenit 12XP (Originally bought for the lens. The meter and shutter both appear accurate enough, so it's a usable if rather limited body.)
Kiev 4A (I'm pretty sure the shutter speeds are off on this one and need to check them, as I never find the photos to be quite what I expect.)
Meopta Flexaret Va

Own but don't really use:
Kodak No. 2 Hawk-eye (I don't like the photos it produces.)
Canon AE1 (If you leave an FD lens undisturbed long enough, it grows an AE-1 on the end of it. Was given to me with the FTb, which I prefer in almost every respect save loading.)
05-14-2015, 12:48 PM   #270
Lens Buying Addict

Updated from about six months ago. I think this is a stable list of film cameras - I can shoot a roll a month through each SLR. I probably won't use the Electro 35 at all and the XA on a whim.

I've found the best way to get myself to use these cameras is to keep them on a shelf rahterthan stored away in camera bags.

SV
KX matte focusing screen - black
KX split-image focusing screen - black
MX - black
LX
MZ-S (user condition, which I actually like better than pristine)

Olympus XA (I really like this little camera but I alwayas forget to take it with me).
Yashica Electro 35 GSN (I don't know what to think about this clunky beast. It needs to go to Mark Hama but I never get around to it).