Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 148 Likes Search this Thread
09-30-2021, 09:25 AM   #451
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
I absolutely love these plastic little turds.
Yep I put my *ist in that category.

Phil.

09-30-2021, 10:03 AM   #452
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yep I put my *ist in that category.

Phil.
Eh, it *ist is way less likely to break itself when rewinding film.

My very first zx-m stripped the gears after less than 100 rolls. Granted it took a lot of abuse while shooting in the high school newspaper.
09-30-2021, 10:54 AM   #453
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Eh, it *ist is way less likely to break itself when rewinding film.

My very first zx-m stripped the gears after less than 100 rolls. Granted it took a lot of abuse while shooting in the high school newspaper.
The *ist just loses its shutter button functionality for no good reason... Mine still works with a remote, but that's not really practical...

I would really like to find someone to do a gear replacement on the ZX/MZ bodies. My ZX-L is so much fun to use... though I just got a PZ-1p, so that may be good enough, apart from the lack of a AA grip...

And where are you sending your Yashica? I have one that needs a CLA as well...

-Eric
09-30-2021, 06:05 PM   #454
tpd

Speaking of plastic turds...

I was able to resuscitate two abused Yashicas this week, an FX-3 and an FX-3 Super.

Super had bad mirror creep and needed a new mirror damper. I suspect it will creep back, but not quickly enough to justify further surgery. Yet.

The FX-3 had a stuck winder. After a bit of poking around under the bottom plate, turned out that the lock lever pivot was sticking, keeping the lever from moving out of the way of the cam and keeping the winder locked even after the shutter fired. A few drops of lighter fluid and some exercise seems to have got things working again.

One of the bodies needed a replacement winding lever from an even deader FX-7. Both need new leatherette -- one is missing the leatherette entirely, the other has worn down to the fuzzy old-denim state that I actually don't mind.

09-30-2021, 09:34 PM - 5 Likes   #455
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use all but three of my film cameras. I'm probably leaving a few out of this list.

SV
K1000
K1000 SE (brown)
KM
KX (black)
K2 DMD (2x)
MX (2x: one black, one silver)
ME Super (black)
Super Program
ZX-30
MZ-3 (silver)
*ist

Used to own S3, K2, LX, PZ-1p, ZX-50, ZX-60

Yashica FR (black)

Canon Elan ii
Canon Rebel
Canon Rebel G

Nikon F3
Nikon N6006
Nikon N65
Nikon F4

Leica IIIf

Hasselblad 500C/M (x2)
Hasselblad 500EL/M
Hasselblad 501C

Mamiya M645
Mamiya RB67

Linhof Technika 4x5
Calumet 4x5
Sinar 4x5
A 5x7 camera

Polaroid Land Camera

Several Kodak cameras from different generations

Last edited by builttospill; 09-30-2021 at 09:44 PM.
10-01-2021, 09:24 AM   #456
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
The *ist just loses its shutter button functionality for no good reason... Mine still works with a remote, but that's not really practical...

I would really like to find someone to do a gear replacement on the ZX/MZ bodies. My ZX-L is so much fun to use... though I just got a PZ-1p, so that may be good enough, apart from the lack of a AA grip...

And where are you sending your Yashica? I have one that needs a CLA as well...

-Eric
I need to reach out and see if he's even still working on them, but Mark Hama is the go-to on old Yashica TLRs from what people have said in the NegativePositives Facebook group. I'm going to run a roll of Tri-X through mine this weekend to see how bad it is, but the shutter sounds slow to me.

Welcome to Mark Hama Ltd.

I'll likely go in search of a working 6x6 something or other if the Yashica is going to cost me more than $150 to get running.
10-01-2021, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #457
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I need to reach out and see if he's even still working on them, but Mark Hama is the go-to on old Yashica TLRs from what people have said in the NegativePositives Facebook group. I'm going to run a roll of Tri-X through mine this weekend to see how bad it is, but the shutter sounds slow to me.

I'll likely go in search of a working 6x6 something or other if the Yashica is going to cost me more than $150 to get running.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking... I also have a Yashica Electro rangefinder that needs some love...

Worst I ever ruined a roll of film and still got images was when I left that Electro in the car at the beach... I knew when it burned me when I touched it I had done something bad...
"why do all my pictures look burnt?"
"because all of your pictures are burnt..."

-Eric

10-10-2021, 09:09 PM   #458
Veteran Member

Pentax
- Spotmatic
- Spotmatic II

I've purchased the SPII on eBay but then, just a few days later, I found the SP at a flea market. I couldn't just leave it there :-)

Others
- Minolta SRT 101 (Flea market)
- Canon EOS 30 (Ebay)
- Canon IX (Ebay)
- Ricoh XF-3PF (Giveaway from Chriss Platt)
- Praktica L (Ebay)
- Praktina L2 (The first SLR I've ever purchased - Kijiji )
- Topcon 35-L - (1st Camera I repaired - Kijiji )
- Olympus Pen-EE2 (APUG)
-Olympus Trip 35 (Flea market)
- Zeiss Ikon Contaflex IV (Resurrection project underway completed - Flea market)

Last edited by Helios 1984; 11-30-2021 at 06:56 PM.
10-11-2021, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #459
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just came back from a bicycle ride. Been months because of Melbourne lockdown. Took Minolta A9000 for ride and take some pictures on first roll since acquiring it during lockdown. Replaced the missing rubber covers with leatherette from an old mobile phone cover. The Minolta A9000 was the first professional camera with autofocus.https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachments/8-film-slrs-compact-film-cameras/552092d1634020171-what-film-bodies-do-we-all-have-20211012_135125.jpg
Attached Images

10-16-2021, 08:11 AM   #460
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by John in OZ Quote
Just came back from a bicycle ride. Been months because of Melbourne lockdown. Took Minolta A9000 for ride and take some pictures on first roll since acquiring it during lockdown. Replaced the missing rubber covers with leatherette from an old mobile phone cover. The Minolta A9000 was the first professional camera with autofocus.https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=552092&stc=1&d=1634020171
And the infamous LED bleed. I've been tempted to get one to go alongside my 7000 but have resisted the temptation so far.

K.
10-16-2021, 08:12 AM   #461
Pentaxian

Mark gave my Mat 124G a new lease of life. I always thought the viewfinder was dark and hard to focus until Mark gave it all a good clean. Highly recommended.
10-19-2021, 11:52 AM   #462
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
An update for me. Not including my "box o' Brownies" and a Fuji Instax Wide 210, I have whittled my way down to A P3n and a ZX-l with a ZX-M focus screen and battery grip. I hate the fake aluminum color, and the chrome logo, and I wish the viewfinder was much larger, yet the ZX-l is my favorite Pentax ever!
It has been a long time since I checked out this thread. To update:

I still have the ZX-L, the P3n, and another P3n, but its on time out right now.
2 ZX-10s
ME chrome
S3 with shutter issues

other brands:

The "box o brownies"
Yashicamat EM
Minolta Autocord
Minolta X-370
Canon AE-1
A glow in the dark Holga
Fuji Instax wide
Sharper image instant (takes Instax mini film)
Polaroid 800

... And I don't hate myself enough to list all the digital cameras.
10-31-2021, 07:51 PM   #463
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
And the infamous LED bleed. I've been tempted to get one to go alongside my 7000 but have resisted the temptation so far.
Very lucky that in my case the LCD is fine. Had similar LCD severe display blooming on a Fluke 8020 digital multimeter. Did some research and that heating to and at 80deg C and allow cool down gradually would fix it. It worked. It went all black and all clear once cooled. The DMM is still being used regularly and has not shown any issue since.. In case of A9000 apparently doesn't get too severe where CD is not useable. DMM LCD be similar vintage to camera.
11-01-2021, 12:12 AM   #464
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by John in OZ Quote
Very lucky that in my case the LCD is fine. Had similar LCD severe display blooming on a Fluke 8020 digital multimeter. Did some research and that heating to and at 80deg C and allow cool down gradually would fix it. It worked. It went all black and all clear once cooled. The DMM is still being used regularly and has not shown any issue since.. In case of A9000 apparently doesn't get too severe where CD is not useable. DMM LCD be similar vintage to camera.
Lucky to find one without the bleed. As you say, apparently it's very rarely so bad as to make the camera unusable. Enjoy!
11-01-2021, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #465
Pentaxian

I don't use my film cameras.... but sometimes I take pictures of them.