Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 148 Likes Search this Thread
12-20-2021, 02:33 PM   #496
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by trixtroll Quote
I'm not really a Bokeh-bro, but the 45/2 is also solid performer + it's usually super cheap. I really like that lens with TMAX 100 and an orange filter.
TMAX 100 and an orange filter, now that sounds to me like a tasty combo!

01-09-2022, 02:57 PM - 3 Likes   #497
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've added another LX to my collection. This one is a newer version than my first LX so I may like this one more.

I've also added two Nikon F2 bodies, one black and one silver. One has an analog light meter viewfinder, the other a more expensive LED one. I'm running rolls of film through them and so far I prefer the analog viewfinder. I was planning on getting an olympics edition F5 to go with my F2s, F3, and F4, but the deal fell through.

Here's my original list: What Film Bodies Do We All Have - Page 31 - PentaxForums.com
01-09-2022, 06:19 PM   #498
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I've added another LX to my collection. This one is a newer version than my first LX so I may like this one more.

I've also added two Nikon F2 bodies, one black and one silver. One has an analog light meter viewfinder, the other a more expensive LED one. I'm running rolls of film through them and so far I prefer the analog viewfinder. I was planning on getting an olympics edition F5 to go with my F2s, F3, and F4, but the deal fell through.

Here's my original list: What Film Bodies Do We All Have - Page 31 - PentaxForums.com
Minolta directed their ad right at the F2 but without naming it specifically . . .

BTW, very nice collection but not even one Minolta . . .
01-10-2022, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #499
Pentaxian

Too many that don't work good anymore.

01-10-2022, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #500
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Minolta directed their ad right at the F2 but without naming it specifically . . .

"electronic" and "durability", two words that you don't often see used in the same sentence.
01-10-2022, 12:23 PM   #501
Pentaxian

It even looks very similar to the F2.

Thanks. I'm not there yet. One day I'll get a few Minoltas but have too many other projects going right now.
01-10-2022, 08:27 PM - 2 Likes   #502
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
"electronic" and "durability", two words that you don't often see used in the same sentence.
I have yet to get into my cameras but it is interesting to see how much "electronics" are even in fully mechanical cameras like the MX for instance . . .

Since these have so little current, I am anticipating (hoping!) "electronic" failures to be limited to corrosion and broken connections.

---------- Post added 01-10-22 at 10:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
It even looks very similar to the F2.

Thanks. I'm not there yet. One day I'll get a few Minoltas but have too many other projects going right now.
The F2 plain prism is really svelte though . . .

01-10-2022, 08:57 PM   #503
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not sure which is worse, plastic parts breaking or electronics dying. Neither is great, obviously...
01-10-2022, 09:15 PM   #504
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I'm not sure which is worse, plastic parts breaking or electronics dying. Neither is great, obviously...
I haven't done any 3D printing yet but plastic parts breaking may be a none issue.

I'll be curious to see what "electronics dying" turns out to be when I do start working on them.
01-11-2022, 07:34 AM   #505
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Corrosion and capacitors failing would be my top guesses for electronics.
01-11-2022, 10:56 AM - 4 Likes   #506
Pentaxian

I haven't done any 3D printing yet but plastic parts breaking may be a none issue.
There are certain things I'd 3D print, and other things I wouldn't. Two of the paper roll holders (cheap plastic in an expensive printer) broke recently in my large format Epson 9900 printer. I had one of my students create a model of one of the unbroken pieces, and 3D printed the part (in pink) shown below. It cost me $0.04 in media compared to $150 for the replacement roll holder from Epson.
01-12-2022, 08:01 PM - 4 Likes   #507
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Corrosion and capacitors failing would be my top guesses for electronics.
I've seen a lot of capacitors dying stories on the Minolta X-700. Apparently it is tied to a serial number batch where they must have used the wrong type of capacitor. I have one given to me by a buddy bought by him early 80's in Las Vegas. The desert is unforgivingly dry and I repaired countless electronic devices with failed capacitors but apparently my copy is not from that batch as it is still completely functional.

With Motor Drive 1 and Multifunction Back which is a full intervalomerter.
01-14-2022, 02:50 AM   #508
Pentaxian

I've seen a lot of capacitors dying stories on the Minolta X-700. Apparently it is tied to a serial number batch where they must have used the wrong type of capacitor. I have one given to me by a buddy bought by him early 80's in Las Vegas. The desert is unforgivingly dry and I repaired countless electronic devices with failed capacitors but apparently my copy is not from that batch as it is still completely functional.

With Motor Drive 1 and Multifunction Back which is a full intervalomerter.
Lots of the electronic Minoltas suffer from capacitor failures but I understand they can be quite easily replaced.

Many EOS film cameras eat through batteries even when turned off and I'm lead to believe that's also a capacitor problem, though there's much less information on it online than there is about the Minolta problems. It's a shame as I've bought a few and would love to know which capacitors to replace in order to fix them.

I currently have my eye on an EOS 300X with grip that's not far from where I live but I'm isolating as I have covid so can't get there to check it out.
01-14-2022, 02:58 AM   #509
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I currently have my eye on an EOS 300X with grip that's not far from where I live but I'm isolating as I have covid so can't get there to check it out.
Wishing you a speedy recovery, Jonathan.
01-14-2022, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #510
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Wishing you a speedy recovery, Jonathan.
Many thanks. I'm not very ill really, certainly don't feel bad enough to stay at home in bed, I'm just isolating so as to avoid passing it on to anyone else.